Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Switching presets via midi in Audiobus

This is mentioned as being a feature, but it doesn’t work for me unless I assign a different pad for each preset, which is not that practical obviously. It also takes quite a long time to switch. Has anyone got it to work?

Comments

• edited December 2018

The easiest way to do this is:

1. Create a new blank preset called, “Set List” and use MIDI learn to learn each Audiobus 3 preset you want to include in the set.
    2. Open each preset and MIDI learn the “Set List” preset. You can use the same or different trigger to open the “Set List” preset from each preset in the set list.
    3. To use, open Audiobus 3 and load the preset “Set List” then trigger whatever preset in the set List you want. To go to another preset in the set list, trigger “Set List” then trigger the next desired preset in the list.
    4. You can add and delete presets from the set by adding and deleting triggers in the “Set List” preset.
    5. If you consistently add a trigger to your presets you want to include in a set, you can easily maintain the system.
    6. For multiple set lists, you can copy the original set list and duplicate it.
    7. You’ll need to use the original “Set List” preset or else you’ll have to add a new trigger for the new set list preset in each preset of the new set list. Alternatively you could have a tree structure which has a main “Set List” preset which opens up other set lists. If this is structured in a way that makes sense to you, this might be a good alternative.

With this setup, you can have as many presets as you want in the list and be able to access the others with just one trigger within each preset. Presets with IAA apps could be problematic if you need to close IAA apps in between preset changes so all AU presets would be easiest to manage.

The speed of switching would depend upon the number of apps, connections, etc. . . . in a given preset.

• Or: in each preset, bind the same trigger each time for the next preset you want, so you're chaining then together.

I'll be adding a previous/next preset action soon (which you'd use in a global profile), but I think that only makes sense to add once I've added more sophisticated preset.

• Thank you! I will try it out!

• Also, rather than taking up buttons on a controller, you can use notes in an unused octave, like C-2 or C7.

• I cannot seem to get my MIDI learn configurations for Loading presets to save. I have AB3 set to the default Global profile (in MIDI learn mode), and I'm able to successfully map MIDI Program Changes to load different presets, I'm saving, and I'm testing them and they are working nicely, being loaded upon the PCs without issue.

However, when I close Audiobus and reload it, the MIDI learn configurations for loading the presets are gone. Other MIDI learn configurations I've done - triggering play/pause/toggle, assigning Gain in the Mixer, are still there, just not the Load presets for some reason. Thoughts?

• edited June 2019

After some further testing....this may be happening because my Source for triggering the Load Presets was a Virtual port. It seems to save successfully otherwise. Is there a workaround for this, or is it just not possible for a MIDI learn config to be saved with a Virtual MIDI port as a Source?

• Ah thanks for the extra info! I'll take a look; it should work just fine, so probably a bug

• @Michael said:
    Ah thanks for the extra info! I'll take a look; it should work just fine, so probably a bug

thanks so much!

• @richfobes said:
    After some further testing....this may be happening because my Source for triggering the Load Presets was a Virtual port. It seems to save successfully otherwise. Is there a workaround for this, or is it just not possible for a MIDI learn config to be saved with a Virtual MIDI port as a Source?

Hi again! Just checking: you're able to make other bindings from the same source right? It's just the load preset actions that aren't working? Or is it any actions associated with that virtual MIDI source that aren't working?

• edited June 2019

@Michael said:

@richfobes said:

Hi again! Just checking: you're able to make other bindings from the same source right? It's just the load preset actions that aren't working? Or is it any actions associated with that virtual MIDI source that aren't working?

Hi @Michael ! I am able to make bindings from the viritual MIDI port as a source for anything I've tried: load preset, gain on the mixer, play/pause/toggle, etc. These all work great until I close Audiobus and reopen. The bindings are not being saved. Before closing, I am hitting save and they are working great until AB is closed and reopened and then the bindings disappear. Thank you!!

• Ah okay, good. Was a lot more confusing when I thought it was just preset load actions! Cool, I'll figure it out

• I've just being doing some digging, and made a little test app that just provides a virtual MIDI port which sends out a CC on a button press. I've successfully made a binding to that app, and restarted Audiobus, and it's still picking it up without issue, so it's gonna be more complicated than just an issue with AB picking up Virtual MIDI apps after a restart.

What app are you using to send out messages via Virtual MIDI? And is it sending Virtual MIDI to Audiobus' own port ("Audiobus 3"), or is it sending it on its own endpoint? (When you make a binding, does it say the name of the app under the CC, or does it just say "Virtual MIDI"?)

Also, would you mind turning on Diagnostic Mode in the system settings app under Audiobus, and then start up that app and Audiobus (that should be all you need to do), then use "Get Support" from within Audiobus?

• @Michael said:
    I've just being doing some digging, and made a little test app that just provides a virtual MIDI port which sends out a CC on a button press. I've successfully made a binding to that app, and restarted Audiobus, and it's still picking it up without issue, so it's gonna be more complicated than just an issue with AB picking up Virtual MIDI apps after a restart.

What app are you using to send out messages via Virtual MIDI? And is it sending Virtual MIDI to Audiobus' own port ("Audiobus 3"), or is it sending it on its own endpoint? (When you make a binding, does it say the name of the app under the CC, or does it just say "Virtual MIDI"?)

Also, would you mind turning on Diagnostic Mode in the system settings app under Audiobus, and then start up that app and Audiobus (that should be all you need to do), then use "Get Support" from within Audiobus?

I am using Keystage to send these MIDI messages.

In Keystage, I have Audiobus 3 set as the MIDI Input. I've experimented with different MIDI Inputs for this, and several work just fine (i.e. My Roland RD700GX keyboard as the MIDI Input, an Akai LPD8 controller as the MIDI Input).

The Virtual MIDI port set as the MIDI Output. For this discussion, we'll call the virtual MIDI port "AB3 Virtual 1 (Virtual)". In Audiobus 3, I have "AB3 Virtual 1 (Virtual)" set as the source when making the binding to Load Presets. I've made other bindings too, to test it out, such as Play. When I make a binding, it says "AB3 Virtual 1 (Virtual)" under the the CC. I've tried binding both CC messages and PC messages. Both work until I restart and they're disappearing.

I'm doing this under the Global Profile, btw. I've tried making these bindings under the 'Current Preset' profile as well, but with that, the bindings aren't working at all, even when I'm not doing a restart of Audiobus.

I will send you this message under the 'Get Support' from within Audiobus as well, with Diagnostic Mode turned on and Keystage and Audiobus open. Thank you for the assistance! Rich

• Ah! Wonderful, @richfobes, thanks heaps for that. I see what's happening now. Fixing it right now, will be in the next release in a week or so.

• @Michael said:
    Ah! Wonderful, @richfobes, thanks heaps for that. I see what's happening now. Fixing it right now, will be in the next release in a week or so.

Thanks so much!!