Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TC-data into Atom?

I am trying to run TC-data into Atom with AUM as host (tried AB3 too), but Atom isn’t recording any MIDI from it. I have TC-d sending MIDI out on ch 1 (picked up fine by Akit synth 1), I have TC-d connected to Atom in MIDI routing, the host is playing and record is on in Atom - no luck. Is it because TC-d sends MIDI cc? I thought that Atom would pick up the MIDI notes even if it didn’t get all of the info TC-d is sending. My understanding of MIDI is basic though.. Any advice/suggestions you can give would be appreciated.

Comments

• Just tried in AB3 and it works for me. Atom as AU midi filter TC-data as midi sender. Recorded notes in Atom :)
    Tried with three Octave scale patch.

• Oh yeah, that works! Thanks, @Carnbot. I wonder why I can’t get anything in AUM though.

• Now TC-data is crashing in AB3 :s Shakes fist at sky

• edited June 2019

ah, yeah it's because TC-data is a bit annoying as a midi sender outside of AB3 (which is doing the work in directing the midi) You could host TC-data in AB3 and then send the midi to AUM, easier switching apps back to AUM then too :)

• I was able to record TC-Data into Atom with AUM. The key thing is that Atom needs to use AUM virtual destination as the midi source for TC-Data. Apparently the TC-Data virtual port does not work.

Btw. If anyone with Atom can confirm that the new Puresynth Platinum is not playing all notes in a midi sequence I would appreciate it. Essentially create a new clip in Atom and step input consecutive 16th notes at C4 for a couple of bars. Send that midi clip to a Puresynth AU instance connected to Atom.
    Only the first note plays. In the setup I show, I added kqdixie AU and set that to play a woodblock percussion sound which plays every note. From what I can tell, Puresynth synth will not play these 16th notes (all at C4) if the note length is the full duration of the 16th. If I lasso all the notes in Atom and reduce note length to 99% then Puresynth will play them. Surprised to say that GospelMusicians support will not fix this and told me to get a refund. Ouch. Even Neo-Soul keys plays these events. So I could use some verification.

Cheers

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    I was able to record TC-Data into Atom with AUM. The key thing is that Atom needs to use AUM virtual destination as the midi source for TC-Data. Apparently the TC-Data virtual port does not work.

Btw. If anyone with Atom can confirm that the new Puresynth Platinum is not playing all notes in a midi sequence I would appreciate it. Essentially create a new clip in Atom and step input consecutive 16th notes at C4 for a couple of bars. Send that midi clip to a Puresynth AU instance connected to Atom.
    Only the first note plays. In the setup I show, I added kqdixie AU and set that to play a woodblock percussion sound which plays every note. From what I can tell, Puresynth synth will not play these 16th notes (all at C4) if the note length is the full duration of the 16th. If I lasso all the notes in Atom and reduce note length to 99% then Puresynth will play them. Surprised to say that GospelMusicians support will not fix this and told me to get a refund. Ouch. Even Neo-Soul keys plays these events. So I could use some verification.

Cheers

Unfortunately, this is the case with both Bassalicious and Pure Synth. I’ve run into it many times and it’s very frustrating. Doesn’t matter if it’s atom or not. Basically anything where the notes are touching, or an arp with a 100% gate setting will not trigger the following note.

• Thanks @DCJ
    Have you contacted @GospelMusicians support?
    I have sent a number of ways to recreate this (including a very simple midi file). Not at all encouraged by the reply. Every AU synth I have can play the example midi except for puresynth platinum.

• @Moderndaycompiler I have not. Because the problem is in both apps I kind of figured it was a lost cause. I do wish their answer was different. But they both have shortcomings that I’ve decided to live with. But you’re right to encourage people to report it. Hopefully it becomes a priority that they’re forced to address. This will naturally happen as competition gets stuffer.

• @DCJ said:
    @Moderndaycompiler I have not. Because the problem is in both apps I kind of figured it was a lost cause. I do wish their answer was different. But they both have shortcomings that I’ve decided to live with. But you’re right to encourage people to report it. Hopefully it becomes a priority that they’re forced to address. This will naturally happen as competition gets stuffer.

The developer is quite responsive. If you report the bug, he will look into it. He has stated that the best way to report a bug is through their official bug report system which makes sure that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

It is generally true that if one runs into a bug that it is worth reporting it to the developer. People often assume that a developer should know about something not realizing that no one has ever reported it.

• @DCJ said:
    Unfortunately, this is the case with both Bassalicious and Pure Synth. I’ve run into it many times and it’s very frustrating. Doesn’t matter if it’s atom or not. Basically anything where the notes are touching, or an arp with a 100% gate setting will not trigger the following note.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but have you checked the Mono/Legato settings? These usually default to Legato, but for many patches really need to be set to Retrigger.

• @wim said:

@DCJ said:

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but have you checked the Mono/Legato settings? These usually default to Legato, but for many patches really need to be set to Retrigger.

Even in legato, shouldn’t a new note that does not overlap should be re-triggered? That seems to be how most of my other synths work. It seems to me like they don’t register the ‘note off’ message in time.

• @espiegel123 I’ve seen the dev on here and have interacted with him and reported bugs so I don’t disagree. I was just asked by @Moderndaycompiler if I reported it. I didn’t assume the dev didn’t know or that it didn’t matter. It just didn’t matter enough to me.

• @espiegel123 in this case, support is not even willing to look at it. And it is pretty easy to recreate in atom/AUM or Auria Pro or MultiTrackStudio. I even sent a tiny midi to recreate in a sequencer.

Here is the last response from their official support email:

In programming development work, NOTHING is as simple as it seems, and in this case we are dealing with another company and another developer and as we have said, handling this case would just be too expensive for us given that out of hundreds of purchases, this is the first time anyone has reported dropping MIDI notes.

We are sorry, but we are glad to offer you a refund. We will not look into this case at this time.

Maybe it would help if others reported it since they claim this is the first time they have seen it (in spite of their initial responses that a fix to midi in a DAW was coming - that came and this issue is present in the update). I truly wonder if they even reviewed my big report in detail. One response from support stated my use from AUM and TC-Data was an extreme edge case and elaborate. So I sent that simple midi. At that point I had been dismissed. Sigh.

You would think the “other “ company would like to know about such a basic midi failure. Is it a JUCE problem? Is it UVI (where the puresynth platinum is listed)?
    Strange that NeoSoul Keys studio works as an AU with the same midi that puresynth platinum fails with.

It’s only $10 and they are welcome to it since I like GospelMusicians and want to support these small indie developers. Hopefully it may get addressed in the future but for now this AU has issues running midi from a DAW which is one of my main use cases. Btw, first discovered the issue with TC-Data (another main use case), AUM and the AU puresynth platinum app and reported it to support. Then reported it for a number of other use cases (AB3 host and the DAW’s mentioned above). I am a software developer myself and given a very detailed an small replicator I would at least test it and investigate.

• @DCJ said:

@wim said:

@DCJ said:

Even in legato, shouldn’t a new note that does not overlap should be re-triggered? That seems to be how most of my other synths work. It seems to me like they don’t register the ‘note off’ message in time.

In atom sequencer one can step input a stream of consecutive C4 notes as 16ths. These do not play unless you select them all and then use that stretch tool to set the note lengths from 100% to 99%. I agree with DCJ that note off handling for repeated notes is not quite right.