Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• KeyStep will give an unprecedented magnitude to your live sessions.

So there's that.

• Looks like a lot of functionality for the price.

Now the nevitable moan, shame there's no BT midi.

• Bought one recently, really great

• I forgot to ask, is anyone using this controller with Cubasis?

• Why on earth none of the keys have no ability to send program change messages?! This is getting ridiculous!*

*disclaimer: I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

• That dude's voice is awesome! Almost looks/sounds like it was overdubbed

• What can this do that the Korg nanokey studio can't? Seems like they share some features. Korg one has knobs, drum pads, and Bluetooth midi.

• Keystep is a sequencer also, for one thing.

• @ion677 said:
    What can this do that the Korg nanokey studio can't? Seems like they share some features. Korg one has knobs, drum pads, and Bluetooth midi.

Polyphonic seq/chord memory/CV output/midi ports/midi clock sync.. They are totally different beasts.

• Also, the Keystep has aftertouch. No small thing, for me.

• @mireko_2 said:

@ion677 said:
    What can this do that the Korg nanokey studio can't? Seems like they share some features. Korg one has knobs, drum pads, and Bluetooth midi.

Polyphonic seq/chord memory/CV output/midi ports/midi clock sync.. They are totally different beasts.

And MIDI to CV. Nicer keys and build generally. Arpeggiator (though maybe the Korg has one of those).

Think we'll have to wait for the KeyStep Pro to get some knobs and program changes. :/

• @miguelmarcos said:
    Also, the Keystep has aftertouch. No small thing, for me.

Yea that too :)

• Would be cool to see a little 2x4 grid of knobs that one could attach to the keystep's side.

• @syrupcore said:
    Would be cool to see a little 2x4 grid of knobs that one could attach to the keystep's side.

+1

• A thousand thank yous for posting this.

• edited March 2018

The keystep is my favorite midi controller ever. I velcro’d a battery pack on the top to power it via usb, then put my Bluetooth midi in the midi out. The result is pure bliss. I can wirelessly noodle anywhere.
    In AUM, just filter out midi channels for each instrument, then you can change instruments on the keystep just by changing the midi channel.

Last thing: I’d buy a keystep Pro in a heartbeat if they ever make one. Imagine having multiple sequences going to different instruments, and having a strip of knobs and sliders to modulate, mix, or tweak each instrument. It’d practically be it’s own daw.

• @ion677 said:

Last thing: I’d buy a keystep Pro in a heartbeat if they ever make one. Imagine having multiple sequences going to different instruments, and having a strip of knobs and sliders to modulate, mix, or tweak each instrument. It’d practically be it’s own daw.

The NDLR would be an interesting partner to the keystep

• Shame it’s using mini keys and only 32 keys. Slim keys (real ones, there is a standard to follow here, Arturia...) and 37 keys, slap Bluetooth inside, add a battery compartment and it would probably be the best compact controller ever. It definitely is a good tool to keep around though as it can interface with anything and, act as a midi/CV converter. Roland A-01 is the only other gear I know of that does all this stuff as well, trash sequencer but got Bluetooth and a neat lil synth to compensate.

• @ion677 said:

I think some version of a KSP is inevitable.

I want it to keep the same keyboard profile. I have other keyboards with full sized keys.

Built in, rechargeable USB power brick would be amazing though. It could run itself and other USB powered devices like the BSP, etc.

• Looks like Arturia are looking for user ideas to improve on the original.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Looks like Arturia are looking for user ideas to improve on the original.

No need for 'rocket science' here. They should just add a bunch of assignable knobs and be done with it.
    The sequencer should be able to record the knobs movements...

Use the 'keyboard' as a step selector for the sequence to allow step-editing, ie. tap a key and tweak a knob to record it's value to the step...

If the R&D department at the company can't figure simple things that on their own I don't know why they even bother :D

• No need for 'rocket science' here. They should just add a bunch of assignable knobs and be done with it.
    The sequencer should be able to record the knobs movements...

+1 for knobs - it's my favourite controller but it would be killer with a handful of knobs

If the R&D department at the company can't figure simple things that on their own I don't know why they even bother :D

I bet they have a "vision" for product differentiation between the key lab and key step which involved controls or something (see also confusing the **** out of customers: like why are there two product ranges when something that combined both would be fantastic???). Product design can get a bit idealogical, you can also end up with conversations about product lines cannibalising each other.

• They asked this some time ago online... somewhere... I can't remember, but I basically gave the same answer as @Samu did.
    Add a few assignable knobs. NOT ENCODERS.

• edited June 2019

Make the keyboard 37keys wide.
    Put 32 (step) LEDs above the keys and add more intuitive, editable step sequencing.
    Make it possible to enter chords by hitting a step key, then hit Hold/Chord and play the chord for that step. Gets recorded as soon as releasing the Hold/Chord key so you can try playing different chords. The Up/Down/Random etc. play modes would get a whole new dimension with chords when entered this way, as a useful intermediate sketchpad before recording into the DAW.
    Give the LEDs more usefulness by letting them display current settings like MIDI Ch, swing amount, gate time.
    Add 6..8 assignable knobs and >= 8 banks of them, switchable by Shift+ Keyboard keys for banks

• Key trig sequencer option would make it a lot better.

Otherwise I love it as is. It's simplicity and ability to drive almost any piece of gear is what makes it great.

• @pagefall said:

+1 for knobs - it's my favourite controller but it would be killer with a handful of knobs

I bet they have a "vision" for product differentiation between the key lab and key step which involved controls or something (see also confusing the **** out of customers: like why are there two product ranges when something that combined both would be fantastic???).

@BroCoast said:

Otherwise I love it as is. It's simplicity and ability to drive almost any piece of gear is what makes it great.

These two posts show both sides of the argument. It's not as simple as making a Homer's Car and throwing everything in there. One of the reasons I got a Keystep is that it balances simplicity and utility.

Adding knobs would put me off. For others, the lack of knobs is similarly offputting.

• @ph8aerror said:
    They asked this some time ago online... somewhere... I can't remember, but I basically gave the same answer as @Samu did.
    Add a few assignable knobs. NOT ENCODERS.

I thought knobs and encoders were the same thing :# what's the difference?