Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GroupTheLoop 2.0

Still in beta but it brings some interesting updates like universal support, portrait mode and split view...

Still not AUv3 but maybe useful for AB/AUM users...

Comments

• Did you know that since v1.4, GTL can host AUv3 effect plugins?

• split view - I likey

• AU instrument Hosting ?

• edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Did you know that since v1.4, GTL can host AUv3 effect plugins?

Of course I know it has AUv3 fx hosting for the input channel but
    I’m talking about the future where GTL becomes AUv3 itself (as we where discussing in the iPhone post which become a reality in this version.)
    http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/190/iphone-version-let-s-talk-again

@Jumpercollins said:
    AU instrument Hosting ?

@Jumpercollins said:
    AU instrument Hosting ?

I think not (but I will check it) I tried and it seems not but anyways that’s why I post that pic with split view. AUM/AB (or any AUv3 host) could do the trick ATM... also IAA direct connection is supported.

I also expect @jakoB_haQ or @thesoundtestroom making a deep and amazing video review as usual... take this post as sneak preview :wink:

• edited June 2019

I've just tried different AUs and it seems like GTL always mixes the original signal with the plugin output which is useless in most cases :s
    Also it doesn't seem to transmit any tempo or position information to the AUv3 hosted.

• edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:
    I've just tried different AUs and it seems like GTL always mixes the original signal with the plugin output which is useless in most cases :s
    Also it doesn't seem to transmit any tempo or position information to the AUv3 hosted.

Fx in the input channel? It’s designed as Fx... but maybe if you explain the idea maybe @jmarshallgtl could implement it! :wink:

I think someone asked something similar and pan made the trick...

http://forum.grouptheloop.com/index.php?p=/discussion/257/input-monitoring-clarifications

...but in the end input isn’t a mixer... that why I suggested the AUv3 version for those like you who use AUM/AB3 modular setups. Look the discussion and Jack pointing towards the AUv3 GTL version... after Universal which is the actual betatesting one!

About syncing try Link with AB3 and so, almost this new version keeps things more clear without window switching :sweat_smile:

In my workflow even AUv3 fx are useless since I use external hardware fx but I still keep trying to help Jack and regular and potential users. :smiley:

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Still in beta but it brings some interesting updates like universal support, portrait mode and split view...

Does it expose its record button and loop length controls on the AB3 palette?

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Fx in the input channel? It’s designed as Fx... but maybe if you explain the idea maybe @jmarshallgtl could implement it! :wink:

You can insert AUv3 to process recorded loops and that's where the real fun is ... erm, would be if it worked correctly.

I hope that clarifies the idea. No host can isolate the pure effect signal if the plugin output signal is already mixed with the source signal.

• Will this be a free or paid upgrade?

• edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

IDK since I don’t have AB3 purchased, maybe similar exposure as AUM... I had AB3 as part of Family plan in the past but I never really used it so, when the friend who let my tried it need to disband, I hadn’t a true need to purchase it again. In the most complicated scenario in my workflow I open 3 channels in AUM :sweat_smile: ... I’m more in monolythic apps (BlocsWave, GarageBand, Djay...) each day goes and music theory learning apps (Pensato, Chords, Chord Tracker...) for keyboard learning for work.
    I even had to reinstall sensual sax to try AUv3 instrument since I have very few apps installed and I barely use 20% of them (including GTL being substituted by Trio+ ATM and maybe using it again now it has iPhone support...) Maybe @RUST( i )K could answer that if he’s in the beta too...

Also if you look at the picture with split view maybe they will be redundant but I suppose you want to use it in background...

To be fair I will love to see LMp and probably I will buy it, even I will have more than enough looping apps or even dedicated hardware for that that day (as far as I have it now), but AB3 come in my worst modularless moment to made me pull the trigger... (and also I had AUM at that moment but I can’t remember wth I was using it then neither... :sweat_smile:). All the iOS11 BlocsWave, Launchpad crackling, iTrack disconnections... made me change all my setup into this monolythic&hardware approach. :expressionless:

AUv3 version will probably fit better regular AB3 users setups. I did a fast mockup for the iPhone topic I have linked before...

I think it could be useful to users go there and tell @jmarshallgtl what you will need to help him implement all these features. ATM each single thing I ask for/advice has been implemented...

• I’m excited about GTL going universal!
    The official forum has an unsecured connection on the login/account creation page, that’s the only reason I haven’t joined, but would love to offer some feedback.
    The main feature I’d like to see is the ability to group export with the AUfx applied to the loops (optionally). Right now it’s super easy to drag and drop multiple loops from GTL to Files but the file names are generic and the AUfx aren’t applied.
    It would also be nice to have an option of playing more than one subgroup at a time, but I guess that might increase the polyphony too much for some older devices.

• edited June 2019

@3sleeves said:
    I’m excited about GTL going universal!
    The official forum has an unsecured connection on the login/account creation page, that’s the only reason I haven’t joined, but would love to offer some feedback.

Thanks for joining almost here :heart: I followed you recently at IG and use your #grouptheloop tag to share this exciting new version.

The main feature I’d like to see is the ability to group export with the AUfx applied to the loops (optionally). Right now it’s super easy to drag and drop multiple loops from GTL to Files but the file names are generic and the AUfx aren’t applied.

Mmm a flatten (resampling) option like BlocsWave... makes sense! Also new iPadOS filesystem maybe will bring better export options in the future... I will love to see Ableton export and even a desktop editor now Marzipan is coming... just dreamin’ :smirk:

It would also be nice to have an option of playing more than one subgroup at a time, but I guess that might increase the polyphony too much for some older devices.

Why? Just curious... how I use it switching parts is perfect. If it’s related to trigger more layers (more than 8 if we use Master Group + Subgroup) I will love to see binding from playlist button (the subgroup launch button is like playlist column in Ableton into my eyes...). With that binding it could be possible trigger another apps part launch or external hardware such phrase samplers or grooveboxes...

Modstep 2.0 with audio loops come to my mind but I prefer the song structure from GTL. I’m getting old and less experimental... :pensive:

• @espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Hi @espiegel123,

yes to the record button, no to the loop length.

I should add this really although with split view you can control most elements of GTL easily alongside another app.

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Hi @espiegel123,

I should add this really although with split view you can control most elements of GTL easily alongside another app.

You really should add it. There isn't enough room for split mode to be useful to me when I am in AUM working with synths. I can do everything I need with Loopy from the palette and MIDI without having to leave AUM (or ApeMatrix) or whatever. I'd use GTL more if this were possible.

• @TheDubbyLabby Regarding multiple groups at the same time, sometimes I want to keep adding loops but copy+merge is limited...it only keeps the AUfx of the first loop selected apparently. This puts me in a scenario where I basically have to re-record loops as overdubs and use AUfx on the input signal to get the layered sounds I want, rather than simply copy+merge. This is too tedious for me and zaps my motivation.
    The other solution would be to export “flattened” loops to merge, but at present that requires another recording step in the workflow too.

• edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:

Doesn't sound quite right, is anyone else experiencing this?

It might be worth checking if direct monitoring is enabled on your audio interface. Or maybe there's another app monitoring running in the background.

There's no tempo info via AUv3 I'm afraid. GTL uses Ableton Link for sync.

• @espiegel123 said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@espiegel123 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Hi @espiegel123,

You really should add it. There isn't enough room for split mode to be useful to me when I am in AUM working with synths. I can do everything I need with Loopy from the palette and MIDI without having to leave AUM (or ApeMatrix) or whatever. I'd use GTL more if this were possible.

Noted :)

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

THIS APP IS THE BOMB!

• @audiobussy said:
    Will this be a free or paid upgrade?

Free :)

• edited June 2019

@3sleeves said:
    @TheDubbyLabby Regarding multiple groups at the same time, sometimes I want to keep adding loops but copy+merge is limited...it only keeps the AUfx of the first loop selected apparently.

Explain further this, please. Selected as? Maybe it’s just a matter to explain it deep to Jack... AUv3 fx could be messy AFAIK for other topics I see at forums.

This puts me in a scenario where I basically have to re-record loops as overdubs and use AUfx on the input signal to get the layered sounds I want, rather than simply copy+merge.
    This is too tedious for me and zaps my motivation.

@espiegel123 Maybe you have any advice for him? It sounds like similar setup like yours... isn’t it?

The other solution would be to export “flattened” loops to merge, but at present that requires another recording step in the workflow too.

Maybe flatten slot/group with a prompted dialog box with...

This group is going to be flattened. Do you want to keep the inserted fx in chain or empty them?

:wink:

@jmarshallgtl I hope you are taking notes :trollface:

• edited June 2019

@3sleeves said:
    @TheDubbyLabby Regarding multiple groups at the same time, sometimes I want to keep adding loops but copy+merge is limited...it only keeps the AUfx of the first loop selected apparently. This puts me in a scenario where I basically have to re-record loops as overdubs and use AUfx on the input signal to get the layered sounds I want, rather than simply copy+merge. This is too tedious for me and zaps my motivation.

Copy + merge - So what if all the effects were written/bounced down to the new loop, would that help?

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@rs2000 said:

It might be worth checking if direct monitoring is enabled on your audio interface. Or maybe there's another app monitoring running in the background.

Then how do AUv3 effect plugins sync with the host?
    It wouldn't work in other hosts if there wasn't any sync mechanism.

The direct signal issue is also with previously recorded loops and no audio input, directly from the headphones output.

• @rs2000 said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@rs2000 said:

The direct signal issue is also with previously recorded loops and no audio input, directly from the headphones output.

Ah sorry I meant GTL doesn't sync via AUv3 at the moment.

Feel free to send me a video of the effect issue, [email protected].

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@3sleeves said:
    @TheDubbyLabby Regarding multiple groups at the same time, sometimes I want to keep adding loops but copy+merge is limited...it only keeps the AUfx of the first loop selected apparently. This puts me in a scenario where I basically have to re-record loops as overdubs and use AUfx on the input signal to get the layered sounds I want, rather than simply copy+merge. This is too tedious for me and zaps my motivation.

Copy + merge - So what if all the effects were written/bounced down to the new loop, would that help?

That’s what BlocsWave calls flatten (and others resampling).

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@rs2000 said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@rs2000 said:

Ah sorry I meant GTL doesn't sync via AUv3 at the moment.

Feel free to send me a video of the effect issue, [email protected].

OK thanks for taking care, will do!

• @jmarshallgtl said:

Maybe...but only if each loop was written with the respective effects before being merged.
    For example, I’ll have different effects on each loop, wouldn’t want the effects of one loop applied to any other loop.
    I’m trying to merge 4 separate loops with their own unique effects into one merged loop so I can add 3 more layers.
    Currently I have to re-record the output to achieve this, rather than copy+merge.
    I hope this makes sense.

• @3sleeves said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

Maybe...but only if each loop was written with the respective effects before being merged.
    For example, I’ll have different effects on each loop, wouldn’t want the effects of one loop applied to any other loop.
    I’m trying to merge 4 separate loops with their own unique effects into one merged loop so I can add 3 more layers.
    Currently I have to re-record the output to achieve this, rather than copy+merge.
    I hope this makes sense.

Got ya. I'll see what I can do, it may be a few updates down the line though...

• edited June 2019

@TheDubbyLabby @jmarshallgtl
    If there was a way to route GTL output to an open loop slot this would also be helpful...resampling like hardware samplers. Koala does this too and it really comes in handy to keep the jam moving forward without leaving the app.
    I’ve tried routing it with AUM but it doesn’t seem to work right, maybe it’s just user error though.

• @3sleeves said:
    @TheDubbyLabby @jmarshallgtl
    If there was a way to route GTL output to an open loop slot this would also be helpful...resampling like hardware samplers. Koala does this too and it really comes in handy to keep the jam moving forward without leaving the app.

Noted although that sounds a little harder to do. Hopefully down the line...