Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Viking Synth by Blamsoft, Inc is free at the moment 😊

Comments

• Thanks for this, and the other links you’ve been posting!

• thanks White.
    good sounding synth!
    and thanks Blamsoft.

• Hmm...

I recall Blamsoft being an advocate of Apples way of handling AUv3 presets so I do hope they will update Viking to comply with the way iOS13 will handle AUv3 user presets when it drops :)

• There are many great patches and light on the cpu :)

• Quite heavy on the CPU - which is a surprise. I can't run three on my Air 2 without crackles.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Quite heavy on the CPU - which is a surprise. I can't run three on my Air 2 without crackles.

That's what I've noticed too and strangely enough the CPU usage is lower when the windows are open but goes up when windows are closed...

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rad!!! I was debating grabbing this and now it's a no brainer , thank you

• @MonzoPro said:
    Quite heavy on the CPU - which is a surprise. I can't run three on my Air 2 without crackles.

IIrc there is an option within the filter section where you can change the nonlinearities. Some of them are quite cpu heavy.

Maybe changing them could bring some improvements.

• edited June 2019

@Samu said:

@MonzoPro said:

That's what I've noticed too and strangely enough the CPU usage is lower when the windows are open but goes up when windows are closed...

Isn’t this due to throttling perhaps ... with the GUI open the CPU core speed is ramped up, so that although the CPU drain has increased, it is now a lower % of the increased available CPU power? Just a thought. This happens with other synths too and I asked the AUM developer about it during the last AUM beta and this was the essence of his response.

• @craftycurate said:

Isn’t this due to throttling perhaps ... with the GUI open the CPU core speed is ramped up, so that although the CPU drain has increased, it is now a lower % of the increased available CPU power? Just a thought. This happens with other synths too and I asked the AUM developer about it during the last AUM beta and this was the essence of his response.

Most likely yes.
    I do wish there was a 'system setting' to enable always running at full speed when connected to a charger.
    But that would most likely make the iPads overheat since there's not that much cooling in place...

• @craftycurate said:

@Samu said:

@MonzoPro said:

This is definitely what I have concluded after months of testing. To prevent throttling (and the ensuing crackles) in AUM I leave a RE-1 GUI instance open all the time (others do the trick, but I tend to use RE-1 in every project).

• @WTK said:

@MonzoPro said:

IIrc there is an option within the filter section where you can change the nonlinearities. Some of them are quite cpu heavy.

Maybe changing them could bring some improvements.

Good call. The Linear Filter Circuit uses significantly less CPU.

From the manual

Filter Circuit:
    The Circuit setting chooses between various DSP algorithms, or Bypass. The Linear method uses a transfer function in the z domain and enables fast computation. The Nonlinear method uses approximate solutions to differential equations in the time domain. The Nonlinear algorithm requires more CPU usage than the Linear algorithm, but in return simulates real transistors which have nonlinear gain. A non-linear gain creates a slight distortion of larger amplitude signals, often called soft clipping. Both models have been carefully tuned to simulate the frequency response and resonant behavior of an analog transistor ladder filter.
    The Drive settings use the nonlinear algorithm to create more distortion than the basic Nonlinear setting. Drive I, II, and III progressively provide more gain into the filter causing it to soft clip and add a gritty overdrive to the sound.

• The preset menu on this doesn’t show up in half the host apps

• Thanks yet again @White

• Some really good patches & it sounds great - many thanks !