Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help with routing midi scale effects (ThumbJam , BS-16I, Atom Piano roll)

I own AUM and Audiobus. I’m using the “scale lock” feature in ThumbJam to allow me to play different scales on the white keys of my external midi keyboard. Just figured out it was possible to use TJ in this way and I regret purchasing ScaleBud. Anyway, I’d like to be able to select different scales in ThumbJam and play them which works easy enough live (however note velocity doesn’t seem to work) but I would love to be able to sequence my midi notes as well. I’ve tried using AUM and picked up the Atom Piano Roll app but I’m having a hell of a time figuring out if there is someway to tie all this together. Even if I have to use AUM and Audiobus I’d be ok with it. It’s getting expensive purchasing apps that I “think” will support the workflow I need only to discover there are certain limitations. Can anyone tell me if using a midi effect like TJ or Midi Flow scales is possible and how I would go about setting up my environment to record/edit midi from that source?

Comments

• @Nuggetz : yes, ThumbJam can be used as a MIDI controller and send its MIDI output to Audiobus or AUM.

• Sure, if I understand what you want correctly, it’s pretty straightforward. Just keep in mind the order that the midi is flowing:

Controller > ThumbJam > Atom > Instrument

So, you add ThumbJam to AUM, then route your keyboard to it. Do this through the Routing Matrix in AUM, not through ThumbJam. Then you add Atom and set it to receive from Thumbjam (not your keyboard), finally, you add the Instrument and set it to receive from Atom.

When you play your keyboard, Thumbjam will get the notes, remap them, then send them on to Atom. Atom will send them on to the instrument. When you record in Atom, and play it back, the notes it plays back will go to the instrument.

Your routing matrix should look similar to the image below. The sources along the top connect to the destinations on the side.

Apologies in advance if I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to do.

• Fantastic answer @wim!

• @wim said:
    Sure, if I understand what you want correctly, it’s pretty straightforward. Just keep in mind the order that the midi is flowing:

So, you add ThumbJam to AUM, then route your keyboard to it. Do this through the Routing Matrix in AUM, not through ThumbJam. Then you add Atom and set it to receive from Thumbjam (not your keyboard), finally, you add the Instrument and set it to receive from Atom.

When you play your keyboard, Thumbjam will get the notes, remap them, then send them on to Atom. Atom will send them on to the instrument. When you record in Atom, and play it back, the notes it plays back will go to the instrument.

Your routing matrix should look similar to the image below. The sources along the top connect to the destinations on the side.

Yep that’s exact;t what I want to do. I will give this a shot. I appreciate the time you took to construct a r3ply like that :) Instead of using atom is there a way to have a more full featured sequencer take its place like BM3 or Gadget?

• @Nuggetz said:

@wim said:
    Sure, if I understand what you want correctly, it’s pretty straightforward. Just keep in mind the order that the midi is flowing:

Yep that’s exact;t what I want to do. I will give this a shot. I appreciate the time you took to construct a r3ply like that :) Instead of using atom is there a way to have a more full featured sequencer take its place like BM3 or Gadget?

With AB3 and AUM , you can definitely aim the MIDI output at Gadget or BM3. It might be possible with just AUM, too. If they expose their MIDI ports, they will show up
    In the AUM MIDI matrix.

• edited December 2019

I just want to be able to use the scale lock on thumbjam to map to a keyboard and have that scale lock control other synths.
    I routed it as suggested above in AUM. Keyboard to thumbjam and then Thumbjam to Zeeon.

The keyboard plays the thumbjam instrument with the scale lock. And thumbjam plays zeeon (and thumbjam instrument) on the screen interface. But the keyboard does not play zeeon, it only plays the thumbjam instrument.

What do I do please?