Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad OS (coming soon)

Comments

• iPadOS with full support for attached thumb drives goes a long way towards supporting more complex professional workflows.

Hopefully support for web applications will also be part of this OS so that it will support web applications like web MIDI so that web apps like those you can use to configure Novation hardware will become available on iPads.

• Do thumb drives include proper external hard drives (including ssd)?

• @InfoCheck said:
    iPadOS with full support for attached thumb drives goes a long way towards supporting more complex professional workflows.

Hopefully support for web applications will also be part of this OS so that it will support web applications like web MIDI so that web apps like those you can use to configure Novation hardware will become available on iPads.

Woah, hadn’t thought of this. If new safari let me run Novation Components I would get a heck of a lot more use out of Circuit... dayum! Finger crossed.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Do thumb drives include proper external hard drives (including ssd)?

Aparently!

• Proper file system support, at last! Perhaps we'll even be able to map network drives over wi-fi :|

• Still not sure just how much of a proper system it is though. I mean will you be able to have one sample library that different apps access without having to duplicate files? If so I imagine that devs would need to support that as opposed to their own apps local storage.

Whatever it is, It sounds like a move forward but I doubt it will be complete just yet.

• @AudioGus said:
    Still not sure just how much of a proper system it is though. I mean will you be able to have one sample library that different apps access without having to duplicate files? If so I imagine that devs would need to support that as opposed to their own apps local storage.

Whatever it is, It sounds like a move forward but I doubt it will be complete just yet.

Exactly what I’m wondering. I’m guessing first iteration will still copy files into an apps internal storage.

• edited June 2019

Especially this session could be interesting to many developers...
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/719/
    (What’s New in File Management and Quick Look)

It's now possible to grant an app full access to a 'folder path'(goes for either internal, usb or smb) meaning we could for example give a 'sampler app' access to our own custom sample folder and it could directly access the files without having to go thru the document picker import procedure for every single sample.

Ie. an app could for example build a list of the folder and sub-folder content and then we could simply choose next/previous file from the chosen folder and use for example quick-look (or custom preview plug-in) to preview the content.

I do not know how much extra work this would cause but I bet our superb developers will be able to figure out something totally awesome.

And, I don't remember all the nicks of the developers here in the forum but I know that if a few of them like @michael @brambos @lfs @davis_korgrd or @j_liljedahl gets the hang of this things might start cooking in a good way :)

Sorry for tagging dev's but I feel this is a very important thing to consider for future app updates.

• Do we know which files systems are supported yet?

• @nondes said:
    Do we know which files systems are supported yet?

APFS
    HFS+
    FAT
    exFAT

That's for now at least...

With SMB so it's possible to access NTFS disks over the network if needed.
    NTFS support is apparently a licensing nightmare so I guess that's why it's not supported out of the box.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Samu said:
    Especially this session could be interesting to many developers...
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/719/
    (What’s New in File Management and Quick Look)

It's now possible to grant an app full access to a 'folder path'(goes for either internal, usb or smb) meaning we could for example give a 'sampler app' access to our own custom sample folder and it could directly access the files without having to go thru the document picker import procedure for every single sample.

Ie. an app could for example build a list of the folder and sub-folder content and then we could simply choose next/previous file from the chosen folder and use for example quick-look (or custom preview plug-in) to preview the content.

I do not know how much extra work this would cause but I bet our superb developers will be able to figure out something totally awesome.

And, I don't remember all the nicks of the developers here in the forum but I know that if a few of them like @michael @brambos @lfs @davis_korgrd or @j_liljedahl gets the hang of this things might start cooking in a good way :)

Sorry for tagging dev's but I feel this is a very important thing to consider for future app updates.

If we can get something like Resonic Pro that lets you preview large audio files and drop ranges or save ranges as new wavs directly into DAW projects right from the file manager... joy, pure joy!

https://resonic.at/pro

• edited June 2019

Another good one.

Bye-bye Dropbox!

I wonder what it means for current existing apps though? Will devs need to update? Will the trend towards universal design dissipate?

• Does Apple include a standard file browser dialog that we can use out of the box?

If we're supposed to build that ourselves (including hierarchical folder navigation and all the error-handling for the various things that can go wrong when dealing with files) that means a shedload of effort in the "no-fun-no-gratification" category :#

• @brambos said:
    Does Apple include a standard file browser dialog that we can use out of the box?

If I'm not totally mistaken that is where the Document Picker/Browser should be used?!
    (Ie. to select a file/files and or a source/destination folder the url from the Document Picker can then be used without opening the DocumentPicker for each file to for example batch-process files in the selected folder)

The above linked video/presentation explains some of the gotchas...

All I as an end-user see is the benefit and usability of the provided functions.

• @brambos said:
    Does Apple include a standard file browser dialog that we can use out of the box?

If we're supposed to build that ourselves (including hierarchical folder navigation and all the error-handling for the various things that can go wrong when dealing with files) that means a shedload of effort in the "no-fun-no-gratification" category :#

Is this it?
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uidocumentbrowserviewcontroller

• @EyeOhEss said:

Can I connect iPad to desktop via usb and drag/drop files etc? And use my external drives?

That remains to be seen but at least on macOS the syncing and file shuffling will be done in Finder in macOS10.15.

Most likely on Windows & Linux boxes it will pop up as some kind mass-storage device showing at least the same stuff that can already be seen from iTunes but I have no way to check this.

Or will I need to go via usb stick? Even that as worst case is a big improvement on the current situation though :)

USB-Sticks should work just fine from the videos I've seen so far :)

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

If I'm not totally mistaken that is where the Document Picker/Browser should be used?!
    (Ie. to select a file/files and or a source/destination folder the url from the Document Picker can then be used without opening the DocumentPicker for each file to for example batch-process files in the selected folder)

The above linked video/presentation explains some of the gotchas...

All I as an end-user see is the benefit and usability of the provided functions.

That looks promising. Of course that would mean apps that use files like this will not run on iOS versions <13 which may exclude just too many users right now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos said:
    Of course that would mean apps that use files like this will not run on iOS versions <13 which may exclude just too many users right now.

Considering how users are currently complaining about lacking usb-support, no proper file-system, AUv3 Preset handling etc. etc. iOS/iPadOS13 could very well be the reason for users to update if their device is supported.

That's my 'gut feeling' at the moment...

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@Samu said:

@brambos said:
    Of course that would mean apps that use files like this will not run on iOS versions <13 which may exclude just too many users right now.

Considering how users are currently complaining about lacking usb-support, no proper file-system, AUv3 Preset handling etc. etc. iOS/iPadOS13 could very well be the reason for users to update if their device is supported.

If that’s true, and if it isn’t too much work to get adapt apps to run on it, I wonder if there might be an opportunity to get some relatively easy revenue from separate iPadOS versions.

• @AudioGus said:

I've honestly never bumped into that on my iPad Air 2...

Then again Files.app has be 're-worked' for iOS/iPadOS13 and I bet those on iOS/iPadOS13 beta will report every single issue this time around because everyone wants it to work :)

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

>

I've honestly never bumped into that on my iPad Air 2...

Then again Files.app has be 're-worked' for iOS/iPadOS13 and I bet those on iOS/iPadOS13 beta will report every single issue this time around because everyone wants it to work :)

I get it what seems about twenty percent of the time on my Air1, 2017 and 10.5 pro. If it happens it is usually borked for the whole day and I just forget about it.

Yah I wager they just gave up on trying to fix it knowing that they will want everyone on board iPad OS. In a way I don’t feel grateful for the better file management coming so much as a snarky ‘about damn time’, after calling these tabs ‘Pro’ for years and charging so damn much. Pressuring people to pay for more storage when they force you to eat up so much with duplicate files, rant, rave, uh, better check the old blood sugar.

• @Samu said:

@nondes said:
    Do we know which files systems are supported yet?

APFS
    HFS+
    FAT
    exFAT

That's for now at least...

With SMB so it's possible to access NTFS disks over the network if needed.
    NTFS support is apparently a licensing nightmare so I guess that's why it's not supported out of the box.

The're more functions and filesystem supported than I for the first time thought...
    Tonight I connected my 2TB external USB3-drive to an cheap powered USB-hub and could read all the 500000 different files direct in Files, including pictures, sounds, MP3-songs (also FLAC & Wave), all kind of documents etc etc... Wonderful!!

• edited June 2019

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

Those have always been my gripes, so I’m really chuffed about the updates. I’ll soon be able to use an iPad for general work/graphic stuff as I’ll be able to hook up an external drive, and have a more manageable file system.

And it’ll save me a few bob, since I won’t have to find money for a laptop replacement.

Probably mean I’ll skip the Air 3 and go for a bigger pad too.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

Those have always been my gripes, so I’m really chuffed about the updates. I’ll soon be able to use an iPad for general work/graphic stuff as I’ll be able to hook up an external drive, and have a more manageable file system.

And it’ll save me a few bob, since I won’t have to find money for a laptop replacement.

Yeah....timing.....just spent a whole bunch of money on a Surface Book 2 which I REALLY like but still.....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

Yeah....timing.....just spent a whole bunch of money on a Surface Book 2 which I REALLY like but still.....

Bummer, they’re pricey too. I’m looking to replace my Windows desktop with an iMac (almost talked the Mrs into it), and get a bigger iPad as a laptop replacement (with all the new features), Apple Pencil, the works. The iPad OS has confirmed to me that going full hog with Apple shog is the way to go.

• edited June 2019

@LucidMusicInc said:

Another good one.

Bye-bye Dropbox!

I wonder what it means for current existing apps though? Will devs need to update? Will the trend towards universal design dissipate?

Very nice.. just might see an Ableton, Fl Studio IpadOs version in the near future.. Looks like bumper years for app developers..

• @ErrkaPetti said:

The're more functions and filesystem supported than I for the first time thought...
    Tonight I connected my 2TB external USB3-drive to an cheap powered USB-hub and could read all the 500000 different files direct in Files, including pictures, sounds, MP3-songs (also FLAC & Wave), all kind of documents etc etc... Wonderful!!

Glory!!! This will actually be a game changer! Amazing news. Autumn can come 🤭 wow