Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:
    The graphics in the instavids look like total shite. If it goes down that route it’s a missed opportunity. Why make something so iconic look so insipid. My god if a Stratocaster looked that bland , Hendrix would have taken up the fucking oboe.

For me ill take function over fashion every time ;) Agree that the graphics can be polished up a little. But having the same appearance and layout as the physical module, or similar, just doesn’t really make sense to me. That layout is born out of the limitations and practicality of Eurorack and minimised HP space etc, that are really different to the limitations and practicality of an AUv3 ;)

Pretty sure Hendrix would have ruled regardless of how bland strats looked ;) it’s all about sound at the end of the day ;)

Check out the perfomance fx page on Koala, a minimal sliders GUI can still be made to look nice/tasteful :)

Koala is super bland.
    You know when Van Gogh painted the sunflowers? Guess what he was looking at .
    Creativity within composition feeds on visual stimuli , if your senses are fed with bland lifeless shite , imagine what your creations will turn out like.
    Garbage in.... garbage out.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:
    The graphics in the instavids look like total shite. If it goes down that route it’s a missed opportunity. Why make something so iconic look so insipid. My god if a Stratocaster looked that bland , Hendrix would have taken up the fucking oboe.

For me ill take function over fashion every time ;) Agree that the graphics can be polished up a little. But having the same appearance and layout as the physical module, or similar, just doesn’t really make sense to me. That layout is born out of the limitations and practicality of Eurorack and minimised HP space etc, that are really different to the limitations and practicality of an AUv3 ;)

Pretty sure Hendrix would have ruled regardless of how bland strats looked ;) it’s all about sound at the end of the day ;)

Check out the perfomance fx page on Koala, a minimal sliders GUI can still be made to look nice/tasteful :)

Koala is super bland.
    Creativity within composition feeds on visual stimuli , if your senses are fed with bland lifeless shite , imagine what your creations will turn out like.

If you think Koala is super bland then I’m not sure what you’re seeing in the Mutables physical or VCV gui? They’re about as bland/minimal as it gets visually? Just couple knobs and some patch sockets and some tiny icons...

The Van Gogh thing doesn’t hold up.... He was painting what he was looking at. Unless you’re music is about conveying the Mutable Instruments UI via sound (lyrics would be pretty funny to hear!) then it’s totaly different ;)

I’m not ‘against’ it looking incredible. I just don’t really care about it too much. And once you get in to more expressive aesthetics one person’s ‘beautiful’ can easily be another person’s ‘tacky’ or whatever.... And I don’t think that they can copy the total Mutable aesthetic without approval first IIUC? Though yeah, if they did that then I’m all for that aesthetic and the icons etc. Just would prefer sliders to knobs on iPad and phone :)

The Van Gogh metaphor holds up irrefutably , it’s about surroundings ,environment , immersion and stimulus.
    It’s cool if you don’t get the concept , not everyone does.
    That’s why some people are professional composers and others are risk assessment officers for the local council.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

If you think Koala is super bland then I’m not sure what you’re seeing in the Mutables physical or VCV gui? They’re about as bland/minimal as it gets visually? Just couple knobs and some patch sockets and some tiny icons...

The Van Gogh thing doesn’t hold up.... He was painting what he was looking at. Unless you’re music is about conveying the Mutable Instruments UI via sound (lyrics would be pretty funny to hear!) then it’s totaly different ;)

I’m not ‘against’ it looking incredible. I just don’t really care about it too much. And once you get in to more expressive aesthetics one person’s ‘beautiful’ can easily be another person’s ‘tacky’ or whatever.... And I don’t think that they can play it safe and just copy the total Mutable aesthetic without approval first IIUC? Though yeah, if they did that then I’m all for that aesthetic and the icons etc. Just would prefer sliders to knobs on iPad and phone :)

Nonsense, the Mutable Instruments designs are not bland, minimalist perhaps but they have a distinct and instantly recognisable aesthetic. If you look closer at some panels, e.g. clouds, you will see subtle patterns. The colour and shape of knobs, font etc, its doesn't look like lab equipment like say Doepfer modules. But of course its not as wacky as say Noise Engineering or Make Noise.

• @AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

Van Gogh is a genius, I love his stuff. As for music it about listening to sound, visual is nice and function is desired. Mainly great musicians are blind. The developer is concerned about people who are visually impaired. So simple big GUI would help them.

• A 'neutral ui' goes a long ways especially if the stuff under it is deep and one is willing to invest some time learning it.

We can take S_nV_x as an example. For me it make me to want to dig deeper and explore what it's capable of.
    It's pure text and boxes and some graphs but that's it...

So for me the ultimate Plaits module would be a list of parameters that can be changed :)

• edited June 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

I’m not ‘against’ it looking incredible. I just don’t really care about it too much. And once you get in to more expressive aesthetics one person’s ‘beautiful’ can easily be another person’s ‘tacky’ or whatever.... And I don’t think that they can copy the total Mutable aesthetic without approval first IIUC? Though yeah, if they did that then I’m all for that aesthetic and the icons etc. Just would prefer sliders to knobs on iPad and phone :)

The Van Gogh metaphor holds up irrefutably , it’s about surroundings ,environment , immersion and stimulus.
    It’s cool if you don’t get the concept , not everyone does.
    That’s why some people are professional composers and others are risk assessment officers for the local council.

I totally understand the concept of environmental stimulation and inspiration. But if you are comparing something physical, natural, beautiful, like sunflowers..to a module gui in VCVrack..and saying you require that to be inspired to make music/sound.... then that’s where we differ ;)

🖖🏻

• No, please, @burns_audio....

Don’t lose time in the GUI. The most important thing in the port from open source to other platform like iOs is the code, the functions and the stability.

After that, whatever

• @OnfraySin said:
    No, please, @burns_audio....

Don’t lose time in the GUI. The most important thing in the port from open source to other platform like iOs is the code, the functions and the stability.

After that, whatever

+1

• @AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

I'm sure whatever GUI you hold in the highest esteem, someone here would claim it looks like the ugliest thing in the world. It's entirely subjective.. if you fail to see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

My vote's for the plain interface because I always find simplicity to be the most inspiring.
    Bleass over Sugarbytes any day of the week.

If composition requires visual stimuli, then how would you explain all the blind musicians out there (many of them brilliant?). I'd argue that visuals impede music making. An ornate harpsichord doesn't make better music.

• @palm said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

I'm sure whatever GUI you hold in the highest esteem, someone here would claim it looks like the ugliest thing in the world. It's entirely subjective.. if you fail to see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

My vote's for the plain interface because I always find simplicity to be the most inspiring.

If composition requires visual stimuli, then how would you explain all the blind musicians out there (many of them brilliant?). I'd argue that visuals impede music making. An ornate harpsichord doesn't make better music.

Nobody said it requires it , I said it feeds on it . As it does with all stimuli whether external or internal. Do you honestly think a blind person dreams and imagines in a lifeless sterile colourless void , that’s quite an ignorant perception.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ‘Naive’ might have been a better choice than ‘ignorant’ if you wished to avoid being insulting.

• @AVX said:

Do you honestly think a blind person dreams and imagines in a lifeless sterile colourless void , that’s quite an ignorant perception.

never said that. this is getting silly.

• @AVX said:

@palm said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

Nobody said it requires it , I said it feeds on it . As it does with all stimuli whether external or internal.

yeah, but when you say "garbage in, garbage out" about something that has no effect on sound, and that hendrix would've taken up oboe if a guitar didn't look cool, (gotta say, I honestly find oboe to be infinitely cooler than guitar, so I'd have loved it if he had) and ultimately that if this free plugin doesn't meet your personal gui standards then somehow it's garbage... it comes across as awfully entitled.

• @palm said:

@AVX said:

@palm said:

@AVX said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@AVX said:

Koala is super bland.

Nobody said it requires it , I said it feeds on it . As it does with all stimuli whether external or internal.

yeah, but when you say "garbage in, garbage out" about something that has no effect on sound, and that hendrix would've taken up oboe if a guitar didn't look cool, (gotta say, I honestly find oboe to be infinitely cooler than guitar, so I'd have loved it if he had) and ultimately that if this free plugin doesn't meet your personal gui standards then somehow it's garbage... it comes across as awfully entitled.

Interesting , yeah next time your oboe band is in LA drop me a pm , I’d love to see that.
    Ha ha !

• I wonder why some seemingly inoquous threads elicit so many strong emotions?

Fresh air anyone?

:)

• edited June 2019

Van Gogh used quality palette knives. I can’t imagine he cared what his brushes looked like because they allowed him to take his inspirations and create a masterpiece. THAT is the equivalent metaphor. The palette knife needs to work, it doesn’t matter what it looks like.

Funny thing, because the metaphor actually supports the idea that visual appearance of the tools don’t matter remotely.

The metaphor breaks down because a sound plugin does in fact have a visual component as some musicians need to visualize what we are doing. In sound design, what the tools look like can make them easier to use. Smart design and visual layout can actually help inspire creativity in a sound plugin.

It is really up to each developer to decide if they are going to build something that will be visually inspiring or something that just works great and requires the musician to tinker and explore the sounds or already know what the parameters will do.

I think the MI plugins will be fine with minimal visuals. @burns_audio Can I recommend AUM as visual inspiration? Its graphics are vector-based, very minimal, but well implemented in every way and it just works.

• Hmtx said,
    “ Funny thing, because the metaphor actually supports the idea that visual appearance of the tools don’t matter remotely. “

Do you not look at the plugin you are using? Of course you do you pedant.

• In some cases the UI can 'restrict' the sound-engine that drives the synth if there is too much focus on the UI and a decision has to be made what parameters to show in order to avoid bloating the UI.

In those cases it would be handy to have a clean 'parameter list mode' with all sound parameters exposed and that mode could be a top down 'slider view' with check-boxes for on/off parameters.

I remember having a discussion with Jim regarding features of Poison-202 and the answers were mostly like 'the function is in the sound-engine but no space for it in the UI'. (These were things like start-phase oscillators & lfos and oscillator polarity which are all there in the sound-engine but no way to access them from the UI).

Anyways, I do hope we'll at least get a taste of the the plug-ins are capable of once the underlying engine is stable.

• edited June 2019

:s

• @AVX said:
    Hmtx said,
    “ Funny thing, because the metaphor actually supports the idea that visual appearance of the tools don’t matter remotely. “

no better way to make a compelling argument than to start calling people names... :(

look, if you're so passionate about beautiful, inspiring UI's then by all means, design one. but you're certainly not going to get what you want by slinging insults at people. please keep it civil and constructive.

• @OnfraySin said:
    No, please, @burns_audio....

After that, whatever

+1

• @AVX said:
    Hmtx said,

speaking for myself, I will not be looking at the plugin when I'm using it. like most other plugins I use, I'll map all the parameters to midi a controller and play and sequence from my hardware. As long as cc parameters are exposed and the plugin works, I'm happy. I'd hate for the UI to take up any more resources than necessary.

• @Samu said:

Can't wait to put my fingers on Plaits hoping it will include both out and aux outputs :)

There's a separate mix between out and aux for both left and right outputs, and the "left source" and "right source" parameters are assignable outputs in the mod matrix, so you can do things like have the LFO or envelope mix between aux and out differently for each ear creating cool stereo effects.

The ipad screen recorder seems to record in mono though, so none of the stereo effects (like pan spread) have really been demonstrated as of yet.

• edited June 2019

Give me some space for a noob question: these Moduls are routed with cables in a modular context. How do we route it as AUv3. A question that arose beside all thought about GUI ;)
    Anyway the codes I saw made me quite excited