Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Documents by readdle to AudioShare workflow?

Is there a way to move files from documents by readdle into audioshare or put them into the audioshare directory or in a file path where audioshare can access them without having to copy them/create duplicate files through an importing process?

Comments

• No but you can open the ios files app and copy the folder from readdle into audioshare folder most likely

• The biggest drawback on iOS for file management is all of the duplicate files. Having to duplicate sample libraries for NS2, BM3, Gadget, Cubasis etc is just nuts and anything but 'pro'. Yah I'm lookin at you sexy 10.5 Pro.

• Technically APFS doesn't create a duplicate when you copy a file. There is still only one "copy" of the file. All the instances point to the same data on the disk. They're kind of like aliases on the Mac.

If you modify any of those copies, only then will an actual copy of that particular one be made. You could make 1000 copies of a 200MB file in different folders, and if you don't modify any of them, only 200MB will be filled up.

It's clever, but confusing as hell.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

Humm. I wonder what happens if you delete the original file. Are there then 1000 copies, or does another become the “real” one.

• edited June 2019

@wim said:
    Humm. I wonder what happens if you delete the original file. Are there then 1000 copies, or does another become the “real” one.

Deleting the original file while a linked copy still exists will just remove the file system reference of the original file to the actual data stored in the file system. As long as the file remains unchanged, the actual data will always be the same storage block, no matter how many copies >0 exist.

• Incidentally @Retronyms Audiocopy seems to be broken again. It’s unable to do a simple copy without needing to connect to the App Store to link the copied audio to the destination app.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

Deleting the original file while a linked copy still exists will just remove the file system reference of the original file to the actual data stored in the file system. As long as the file remains unchanged, the actual data will always be the same storage block, no matter how many copies >0 exist.

If that’s true, it’s great. I just might have to do some tests, skeptic that I am. ;)

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

If that’s true, it’s great. I just might have to do some tests, skeptic that I am. ;)

I'd like to hear about your results. One tricky thing is that it's hard to accurately find out how much storage is being used.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Technically APFS doesn't create a duplicate when you copy a file. There is still only one "copy" of the file. All the instances point to the same data on the disk. They're kind of like aliases on the Mac.

If you modify any of those copies, only then will an actual copy of that particular one be made. You could make 1000 copies of a 200MB file in different folders, and if you don't modify any of them, only 200MB will be filled up.

Wow, is this for real? I’ve aways been really reluctant to copy long stems between apps etc. But sounds like they don’t take any space unless destructively edited at some point down the line? Wish I’d known this sooner! Thanks for the insight :)

And even after you edit some of them, the files will continue to share the unmodified blocks

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I'm already seeing myself using Files.app in iOS/iPadOS13 to store and manage all my samples and then using Drag'n'Drop from the 'files fly-over' to load the samples and other files.

Currently I keep all my samples stored and organised inside BM3 but that may change when iOS/iPadOS13 drops.

I can easily access the files from most apps that support the document picker or accept files sent to them using 'open in...' and in those cases I can use Files.app already.

Since iOS13 will support external storage I will be able to keep a USB-Drive hooked to my hub and access files from there and import them to the current project and thus avoiding 'trashing' the original files...

And yeah APFS is pretty awesome in avoiding 'real duplicates' and creates virtual copies and a 'real' copy is made only when changes are made to one of the copies.

• More on this. It's called APFS cloning if you want to read up on it.

Everything you need to know about Carbon Copy Cloner and APFS | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

APFS cloning allows the user to instantly create copies of files on the same volume without consuming extra storage space. When cloning a file, the file system doesn’t create copies of the data, rather it creates a second reference to the file that can be modified independently of the first file. The two files will share storage on the disk for portions of the files that remain identical, but changes to either file will be written to different parts of the disk. APFS file cloning only works when you make copies of a file on the same volume (e.g. duplicate a file or folder in the Finder). CCC is typically copying files between volumes, so APFS cloning isn't applicable for that kind of task.

• @mistercharlie said:
    More on this. It's called APFS cloning if you want to read up on it.........

Thanks!

• edited April 2020

I'm thinking of doing the reverse process where I move all my files from Audioshare to Documents by Readdle that is in the iPad folder.

Of course, I really like Audioshare, especially with its AUM integration. It's my go-to "Audio" app. But Documents...

1. Allows me to actually drag and drop files directly into other apps (like Koala Sampler,Files app),
    2. Is accessible in the iOS Files folder
    3. Can also connect to my Google Drive, work directly on a browser without changing the app, access Dropbox, Wifi drive, and even add server network locations.
    4. Can add multiple drive locations (I have 2 dropbox accounts on documents)
    5. Is a lot more visually appealing.
    6. Can open .xml and .txt documents easier on the eyes. This is something that sometimes works on Audioshare, but I have no idea why it doesn't.
    7. Allows me to download directly into the app, and arrange it without actually leaving the app.
      If it had iOS Shortcuts implementation, it would be the perfect app.

But I'm curious...what was your main reason for moving from Documents to Audioshare?

• @Samflash3 Point 2 should be true for AudioShare!

Maybe you need to enable it first

• @mistercharlie said:
    Technically APFS doesn't create a duplicate when you copy a file. There is still only one "copy" of the file. All the instances point to the same data on the disk. They're kind of like aliases on the Mac.

Thank you.

• Yeah, AudioShare appears as a location in the Files app.

Has anyone plugged in a USB drive and from AudioShare imported samples/files ? I've done so as test but had a problem when I went to Trash the imported folder, it wouldn't delete. It just stays as a folder (zero bytes) in the Trash in AudioShare. well, everything deletes but the .trash folder from the USB drive. bizarre.

• @tja said:
    @Samflash3 Point 2 should be true for AudioShare!

Oh I mean inside the " On my iPad" folder, in addition to the "Locations".

• @Samflash3 said:

@tja said:

Why would you need 2 such folders?

Any of the document providers are "on your iPad" too, finally.

It's the same, for all purposes I can think of.

• @tja said:

@Samflash3 said:

@tja said:

On my ipad allows me to actually move the document. The drive location will make a copy of it.

• @Samflash3 said:

@tja said:

@Samflash3 said:

@tja said:

On my ipad allows me to actually move the document. The drive location will make a copy of it.

Yes, you are right.
    I did not think about this.

Different document providers behave like different disks on Windows.
    By default, a Copy will be made, instead of Moving.

Only within the same provider - or "On my iPad" - files will be Moved.

There does not seem to be an option to Move instead.

• edited April 2020

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

This just occurred to me. I have multiple copies of the same Drambo file and a few folders full of them too. How do I delete them all except the original? Do I have to hunt them all down?

• edited April 2020

@ashh said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

This just occurred to me. I have multiple copies of the same Drambo file and a few folders full of them too. How do I delete them all except the original? Do I have to hunt them all down?

Haha, good question, yes!
    Another reason why I think the Files app is not appropriate for everyday tasks.
    You search for a file, get 10 matches that all look exactly the same, not even a path or app is shown 😂

You've found the easter egg that makes Apple sell iDevices with more and more memory 😁

• @rs2000 said:

@ashh said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

You search for a file, get 10 matches that all look exactly the same, not even a path or app is shown 😂

You've found the easter egg that makes Apple sell iDevices with more and more memory 😁

Well, I’m glad I have a big enough coop to house my eggs but I do like to clear out the straw every day. Keeps the chickens happy. So, if you were of a like mind, which coop would you use to house your eggs and how do you ensure that they don’t start to smell?

• @ashh said:

@rs2000 said:

@ashh said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

Well, I’m glad I have a big enough coop to house my eggs but I do like to clear out the straw every day. Keeps the chickens happy. So, if you were of a like mind, which coop would you use to house your eggs and how do you ensure that they don’t start to smell?

That's a very good question and honestly, I have no idea.
    IMHO the Files app is the only one where such functionality could and should be added.
    This is where the deliberate limitations of a secure phone operating system conflicts with the desire of chicken to see each other in order to remain happy.

• This is a great look at the APFS file system. It’s Mac-specific, but most applies to iOS too.

https://eclecticlight.co/2020/04/14/copy-move-and-clone-files-in-apfs-a-primer/

• @rs2000 said:

@ashh said:

@rs2000 said:

@ashh said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

That's a very good question and honestly, I have no idea.
    IMHO the Files app is the only one where such functionality could and should be added.
    This is where the deliberate limitations of a secure phone operating system conflicts with the desire of chicken to see each other in order to remain happy.

Thanks for your reply. At least I know to keep an eye out for any updates to the Files app.