Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitrack DAW and AUM IAA-sync?

Howdy!

I'm trying to sync MTD and AUM but with no success. I know that MTD can do this since it works ok with Beathawk...Am I missing something?
Btw, I tried using Audiobus, no success either...
Any ideas?

cheers
electronicsfordogs

Comments

• I’ve never been able to get it to sync with anything. :/

• @wim said:
    I’ve never been able to get it to sync with anything. :/

mmmhh. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected.
    Thanx anyway,
    electronicsfordogs

• @electronicsfordogs said:
    Howdy!

I'm trying to sync MTD and AUM but with no success. I know that MTD can do this since it works ok with Beathawk...Am I missing something?
    Any ideas?

cheers
    electronicsfordogs

AUM doesn't do IAA, I don't think. You could use Audiobus 3 as glue--I think. I think it will allow you to sync apps that support IAA sync with apps that do MIDI or Ableton sync.

If you don't already have AB3, confirm before purchasing.

• @espiegel123 said:

@electronicsfordogs said:
    Howdy!

Any ideas?

cheers
    electronicsfordogs

AUM doesn't do IAA, I don't think. You could use Audiobus 3 as glue--I think. I think it will allow you to sync apps that support IAA sync with apps that do MIDI or Ableton sync.

If you don't already have AB3, confirm before purchasing.

AUM does IAA host sync for its hosted node apps. AUM does not listen to host sync when itself is hosted in another host, and probably never will considering IAA will be gone from iOS in the future.

I'm not sure which direction of sync is wanted here, are you hosting MTD in AUM or AUM in MTD?

• edited June 2019

@wim said:
    I’ve never been able to get it to sync with anything. :/

mmmhh. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected.
    Thanx anyway,

If you want to record the output of an AUM channel directly into Multitrack DAW, start Audiobus 3 first, make sure Link is disabled in AUM, the tempo is the same for all of the apps, and then do the following :

1. Load Multitrack DAW into the output slot and AUM into the input slot of Audiobus.
    2. Put the Multitrack Audiobus source in the output for the AUM channel you want to record.
    3. Set the playhead in Multitrack DAW to the location where you want to start recording the output from AUM and arm that track for recording.
    4. Press play in Audiobus 3 and hit stop when you’re finished recording.
    5. Trim any unwanted audio from the recorded region in Multitrack DAW.
  • @InfoCheck: doesn't work for me. AUM starts playing, but thats most likely Audiobus-Start-Stop, not IAA. MTD doesn't seem to respond to anything.
    I did a few more tests, just to find out that MTD SENDS IAA-start-stop to Patterning, Sector and Beathawk (and probably some more), but these are all clients. MTD does not listen to start-stop commands FROM these either.

@j_liljedahl said:
    I'm not sure which direction of sync is wanted here, are you hosting MTD in AUM or AUM in MTD?

Well the idea was to record the output of AUM into MTD, jam along, record the output, and so on...do some offline editing later (typical oldschool tapelike-workflow...).
    I know I can record inside AUM, export the tracks into MTD...but that's not very elegant.
    As @wim said in the very beginning: "I’ve never been able to get it to sync with anything. :/"
    Maybe we'll get Link someday?
    cheers

• update: @InfoCheck : MTD seems to be listening to AB-start-stop if I turn OFF IAA-sync in AB.
    Strange, isn't it?
    Things are still a bit off timing-wise, but I get closer...
    cheers

@InfoCheck: doesn't work for me. AUM starts playing, but thats most likely Audiobus-Start-Stop, not IAA. MTD doesn't seem to respond to anything.
    I did a few more tests, just to find out that MTD SENDS IAA-start-stop to Patterning, Sector and Beathawk (and probably some more), but these are all clients. MTD does not listen to start-stop commands FROM these either.

@j_liljedahl said:

Well the idea was to record the output of AUM into MTD, jam along, record the output, and so on...do some offline editing later (typical oldschool tapelike-workflow...).
    I know I can record inside AUM, export the tracks into MTD...but that's not very elegant.
    As @wim said in the very beginning: "I’ve never been able to get it to sync with anything. :/"
    cheers

MTD sends sync and if you have things synced to it, the sync is solid. MTD can host Patterning, etc.

Why not host them directly in MTD?

If using AB3, you can start/stop MTD's transport from the AudioBus palette.

update: @InfoCheck : MTD seems to be listening to AB-start-stop if I turn OFF IAA-sync in AB.
    Strange, isn't it?
    Things are still a bit off timing-wise, but I get closer...
    cheers

Ahh! That was it! Sweet.

• edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@InfoCheck: doesn't work for me. AUM starts playing, but thats most likely Audiobus-Start-Stop, not IAA. MTD doesn't seem to respond to anything.

@j_liljedahl said:

cheers

MTD sends sync and if you have things synced to it, the sync is solid. MTD can host Patterning, etc.

Why not host them directly in MTD?

If using AB3, you can start/stop MTD's transport from the AudioBus palette.

The timing seems to be off when you use the Audiobus start/stop button to start the recording in MT DAW. You’ll need to trim the regions if you record using the this method.

If you load AUM as an IAA inside MT DAW there is no sync. If you load apps directly into MT DAW, they must all be generators not instruments controlled by MIDI as MT DAW has no MIDI. You’d have to connect IAA virtual MIDI ports to each other or use a 3rd app or other MIDI app or hardware which also won’t sync with MT DAW.

AUv3 instruments aren’t functional inside MT DAW unless they have their own internal keyboard.

Until MT DAW gets Link sync start/stop functionality, perhaps the surest way to get accurate timing is to trim your loops or audio clips and place them in MT DAW using drag and drop from the Files app.

Howdy!

Any ideas?

cheers
    electronicsfordogs

What exactly are you needing to sync up? I have had good luck hosting things like patterning and BeatHawk directly and using AB to pipe in MIDI instruments that don't need sync.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:

Howdy!

Any ideas?

cheers
    electronicsfordogs

What exactly are you needing to sync up? I have had good luck hosting things like patterning and BeatHawk directly and using AB to pipe in MIDI instruments that don't need sync.

Have you checked the timing though? In my quick tests, the timing was off when apps are hosted inside MTD.

• @espiegel123 said:

This works pretty well indeed, but my workflow is AUM-based, so this is no option for me.
    Unfortunately timing is completely unusable when syncing MTD and AUM via Ab with IAA-sync OFF.
    So, no success for me right now.
    cheers
    electronicsfordogs

• @wim said:

Have you checked the timing though? In my quick tests, the timing was off when apps are hosted inside MTD.

Just recorded BeatHawk and Groove Rider simple patterns on different takes. The beats all lined up with each other and didn't show any drift over 12 measures.

I haven't used this set-up for a while in MT Daw as my workflow has changed since the days when I MT Daw was my main recording (sketching) software. But at that time (the previous MT Daw), the timing was solid with Patterning and Beathawk and Soft Drummer and Drum Jam which were the apps that I was using to provide beats.

@electronicsfordogs : Yes. If you turn sync off, timing will be off. That is understandable. It can't maintain timing without sync. Did you try initiating playback/recording by tapping the MT Daw transport controls in the AB palette?