Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Live electro-ambient drumscapes using three iPads

I felt it was time to share my music with this forum. I’ve gotten a lot of info here and thought it was time for this recluse to contribute.
Everything is played in real-time with no loops or backing tracks. I’m using Ableton Live on a MacBook pro and three iPads running ThumbJam and Music IO/ Impaktor/Midi Designer Pro 2.

Comments

• This is amazingly cool...and a very original way to use drums. If I understand well, your drums are linked to sequencers? Very nice !

• Wow, this is really neat and well done. There's more melodic variation in your drum piece than most of my stuff. And coincidentally, just last night I pulled out Impaktor after a long hiatus. I had a hard time getting the sensitivity right, I found. How are you triggering it, @hypnopad?
    I would love to incorporate it into pieces, but it's so unreliable for me. Any best practices?

• Wow, yes definitely time to share. These are some great sounds and reallly impressive how full the sound is without any looping or backing tracks.

Which Impaktor patch is that? Have you tweaked it at all?

• I was drooling over this on youtube just now! :lol:

• Thanks everyone for your kind words.

@Hmtx said:
    Which Impaktor patch is that? Have you tweaked it at all?

I forget which patch I tweeked to get that one. Usually I’ll start with a cool one and change some minor stuff as well as the scale to work with whatever song I’m working on. That one is probably the fourth version and renamed several times.

@ExAsperis99 said:
    How are you triggering it, @hypnopad?
    I would love to incorporate it into pieces, but it's so unreliable for me. Any best practices?

I’m using an old Roland drum pad going into a cheap IRig audio interface. Works great! The sensitivity is set at 6. I add lots of effects to it in Live and make use of the scale/pitch function. It can be a bit of a wild card but that’s what I like about it.

@cuscolima said:
    If I understand well, your drums are linked to sequencers?

Kind of.I’m using midi round robin devices in Live. They take any single note input and step through a pre programmed series of notes. I am in complete control of the phrasing.

• Really nice performance!
    Bravo!

• Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

• Ooh, lovely.
    i listened twice!!
    can you tell me what app yr trigger at the start with the drum on the right?
    thanks

• @mrcanister said:

can you tell me what app yr trigger at the start with the drum on the right?

I’m playing the original wavedrum from the mid 90’s. It’s audio is going into Ableton Live to get processed with fx. I’m changing it’s pitch with my right foot pedal via numerous midi converter devices and apps. The right most iPad is running Midi Designer Pro 2. I made a special layout to convert the midi info. It’s changing incoming continuous controller messages into sysex messages that are sent into the wavedrum to change its many parameters. The midi flow is: single midi note(pedal)~multiple notes~note to cc~cc to sysex~ Wave drum. Very convoluted! Hence the name of the song.

• thanks for the info. yeah, that sounds complicated! looks enjoyable to play tho.
    nice sounds :smile:

• edited June 2019

I could see this going over well at a coffee shop. Put together about 6 different arrangements and you’ll have enough for a 1hr set. I would come.

• @hypnopad said:

@cuscolima said:
    If I understand well, your drums are linked to sequencers?

Kind of.I’m using midi round robin devices in Live. They take any single note input and step through a pre programmed series of notes. I am in complete control of the phrasing.

Very interesting. Would love to know more about this midi round robin set-up in Live!

• Very interesting. Would love to know more about this midi round robin set-up in Live!

If you own Live Suite (which has Max for Live) you can download Trigger Tune or Step Melody Max for Live midi devices for free. I don’t have the links but just google them and you should be able to find them.
    Roland drum kits have this feature and the Mandala drum is also round robin based.
    Round robins let drummers play melodies/bass lines/ leads without the need of lots of pads.

• Hey, very creative and sounds great! I like how you think outside the box in terms of composing and arranging, especially around getting off the grid (MIDI and audio loops). Just curious if you've explored Senode emitters on iOS for your sequences?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Just curious if you've explored Senode emitters on iOS for your sequences?

I haven’t . It sounds like it might be an alternative option for the iPad if you’re not using a laptop with Live. I’m real happy with my workflow right now and that option would make my setup even more convoluted!

• @hypnopad said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    Just curious if you've explored Senode emitters on iOS for your sequences?

I haven’t . It sounds like it might be an alternative option for the iPad if you’re not using a laptop with Live. I’m real happy with my workflow right now and that option would make my setup even more convoluted!

Sure, just wondered how Senode stacks up against Max for live.

• Gorgeous. Loved your setup. Keep on keepin’ on!