Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• @burns_audio said:

Speaking of the UI, I'm of a bit of a different mindset than a lot of the audio UI development world.. I want big touch targets and high contrast so I can see what I'm doing. I want to support as many devices as possible without it becoming a UI for ants.

Perfect! And a super nice description of the 'problem' (UI for ants).

I suffer from degrading eyesight so keeping things clean and simple is fine with me and I do like what I saw in the video clip and honestly no need for 'fancy graphics' although some might like visual representation for envelopes, lfo, wave forms etc.

One thing that could be handy when it's mostly 'parameter driven UI' is to have a quick overlay to parameter descriptions.

• @EyeOhEss said:

That’s a bummer about no audio input on Elements.

I'll get to it, once I've made Clouds an audiounits effect there won't be any unknowns to follow up with Elements and Rings as effects as well.

• @cian said:
    Fair enough a lot of audio UIs are terrible - pretty doesn't mean usable. But don't make the mistake of thinking that aesthetics/layout don't affect UX. Spacing, font sizes and color used carefully are very efficient ways of communicating important information to users.

ABSOLUTELY. And what I've got right now is bad. To be honest, it's (obviously) not my forte, and I hope once I've open sourced it, some designers are interested in contributing some hours.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @burns_audio said:

@cian said:
    Fair enough a lot of audio UIs are terrible - pretty doesn't mean usable. But don't make the mistake of thinking that aesthetics/layout don't affect UX. Spacing, font sizes and color used carefully are very efficient ways of communicating important information to users.

ABSOLUTELY. And what I've got right now is bad. To be honest, it's (obviously) not my forte, and I hope once I've open sourced it, some designers are interested in contributing some hours.

I was mentioned but didn't want to but in without an invitation. Now I feel invited. I'd be interested in working on the UI with you. DM me if you wish.

One example from the forum

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/612634/#Comment_612634

• @audiblevideo said:

@burns_audio said:

@cian said:

I was mentioned but didn't want to but in without an invitation. Now I feel invited. I'd be interested in working on the UI with you. DM me if you wish.

This would be a great collaboration @burns_audio !
    @audiblevideo can do it! 😊

• Are you planning to do any of the alternate modes, or even firmwares, on Clouds Tom ?

• edited June 2019

Spacing, font sizes and color used carefully are very efficient ways of communicating important information to user

Yeah, there is very powerful placebo effect, people tend to "hear" nice UI, they will swear that some nice looking app sounds better than those with poor UI even if in fact in blind test they choose sound of that poor UI app :)))

i personally don't give a shit about how synth looks if it sounds good. And this one sounds intergallactic.

• @audiblevideo wow I feel like I understand photon better just from looking at your mock-up!

• @DCJ said:
    @audiblevideo wow I feel like I understand photon better just from looking at your mock-up!

Tony’s stuff is great! Photon just had so much going on i had to diagram something to help me understand

• edited June 2019

Amazing , it would be great if the Ui was worked on. Aesthetics are important to creativity.
    I think the hardware looks superb! Why not simply copy the hardware design? And charge for them. They don’t have to be free, if they look and sound great they will be ultra desirable.
    There is no need to undersell this.

• @AVX said:
    Amazing , it would be great if the Ui was worked on. Aesthetics are important to creativity.
    I think the hardware looks superb! Why not simply copy the hardware design? And charge for them. They don’t have to be free, if they look and sound great they will be ultra desirable.

If one thing defines the Mutable Instruments modules is the design for the real and physical interface.

Meanwhile, in virtual, loses all this advantage. Test it on Vcv Rack, for example

• @audiblevideo said:

@DCJ said:
    @audiblevideo wow I feel like I understand photon better just from looking at your mock-up!

Tony’s stuff is great! Photon just had so much going on i had to diagram something to help me understand

I agree about Photon. I hope @burns_audio takes you up on your offer to design a GUI as I believe it will enhance the user experience.

• @InfoCheck said:

@audiblevideo said:

@DCJ said:

I agree about Photon. I hope @burns_audio takes you up on your offer to design a GUI as I believe it will enhance the user experience.

Yeah this. This is why linked/tagged you in the first place. If I got it right, these mutable instruments modules are the same as the Mac OS Version of this eurorack Port, right?! So I thought this would look like super cool to have all these module floating in AUM and apematrix around - plus they look crazy awesome 😎 haha

• @OnfraySin said:

@AVX said:

If one thing defines the Mutable Instruments modules is the design for the real and physical interface.

Meanwhile, in virtual, loses all this advantage. Test it on Vcv Rack, for example

I have, and it works and looks great. That’s why it would work and look great on iOS.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019
  • Honestly I would prefer the UI to be minimal like in the prototype shown, also because that will save a lot of memory which can be an issue when using many AUv3 instances.

• edited June 2019
  • don't see if anyone's asked already, but any idea when we might expect these to drop?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Watched a video about clouds today... now I am officially in the „I can’t wait“ state :)

• @rs2000 said:
    Honestly I would prefer the UI to be minimal like in the prototype shown, also because that will save a lot of memory which can be an issue when using many AUv3 instances.

This ! And it will work perfectly on all
    screens and hosts :-) And most importantly it will save dev time so we will get new toy sooner :-)

@burns_audio

Idea: Free version wih UI like now in preview videos, later 10$ IAP with nice well tuned UI :-) What do you think ?

• @dendy said:

Idea: Free version wih UI like now in preview videos, later 10$ IAP with nice well tuned UI :-) What do you think ?

I'd rather make $10 worth of other audio units later and try to cross-promote to everyone who has the Spectrum synths installed :lol:

• @audiblevideo said:

@burns_audio said:

@cian said:

Would be nice to see some collaboration like this :) especially if the ui is voted on and maybe given ideas for(in a separate thread) by other forum members.

You know there is no knob/slider ui like there is on thor, maybe someone copied it tho. Basically when you hit a knob, it shows a slider next to your finger and further you slide your finger from the knob, larger the slider gets. I do t understand why everyone are not doing this, might be diffucult to code or somethig, but definitely adds so much to user experience that words cant describe

• edited June 2019

@ToMess said:

You know there is no knob/slider ui like there is on thor, maybe someone copied it tho. Basically when you hit a knob, it shows a slider next to your finger and further you slide your finger from the knob, larger the slider gets. I do t understand why everyone are not doing this,

Because there are even better ways to do it?

I can't even see the numbers when using the 'Thor Sliders' and honestly that app is in my 'soon to be deleted' folder anyways.

@burns_audio wishes to avoid 'UI For Ants' so this might rhyme a bit better?

Tap on a controller to show its value and...
    ...One-Finger-Swipe = fine adjustments, Two-Finger-Swipe larger changes and Double-Tap to reset the value to default.

But we're all different...
    I like the UI of StepBud. It's all sliders and easy to read and understand.

• edited June 2019
  • @EyeOhEss said:

I’m voting horizontal sliders, like in the insta vids ;) Easy to instantly see what kind of values are already set and just a smoother hand eye interaction for me than ‘sliding’ from a circular knob. Definitely agree that some kind of ‘fine tune’ secondary function would be great though....

Yepp! The sliders are a good way to go with optional 'double tap on the value' to bring up a keyboard to type in the value.
    This method works very well in the apeSoft apps so I can't see why it shouldn't work here as well?

Can't wait to put my fingers on Plaits hoping it will include both out and aux outputs :)

• The graphics in the instavids look like total shite. If it goes down that route it’s a missed opportunity. Why make something so iconic look so insipid. My god if a Stratocaster looked that bland , Hendrix would have taken up the fucking oboe.

• Maybe release stable synth engine(s) first and then focus on the 'cosmetics'?!
    Sliders will always be sliders no matter what graphical skin they are covered with.

After all visual design is secondary to sound unless one lets the visual stimulation colour the judgment.
    In modern age shitty music can be sold with pretty cover but it's still shitty music...