Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS 13

Comments

• Can you play music directly from the USB storage? Would be cool to have my entire music collection on an external drive and being able to access it from different iOS devices with playlists etc...

• @Munibeast said:
    Can you play music directly from the USB storage? Would be cool to have my entire music collection on an external drive and being able to access it from different iOS devices with playlists etc...

You can play music directly in Files App with preview but unfortunately you’d have to change song one by one manually. 😂😂
    If Documents app get updated with usb function, then you could use that to play music.
    And also if AudioShare gets Usb function you could also play music from stick with that.
    Or less hope files app gets the option to play media files one after the other

• @nondes said:
    Yeah curious about NTFS support, most/all my USB and external drives are ntfs

I'll will check everything around filesystem supported this evening...
    Must go to my dayjob now (that supports all my toys)... ;-)

Yesterday evening was all about Affinity Suite testing (Affinity Publisher/Designer/Photo) now that v.1.70 was released...
    Affinity Suite is one hell of an ambitious project!!

• edited June 2019

@ErrkaPetti said:

@nondes said:

Yesterday evening was all about Affinity Suite testing (Affinity Publisher/Designer/Photo) now that v.1.70 was released...

Ahhh...I see we can pre-order Publisher now, been waiting for that.

Problem is I don’t know which platform to buy for now - I have all the variations for the others, but will probably just get one copy of this.

So I now need to decide whether to patch up my ailing Windows desktop, or take the plunge with a new iMac...

I guess with all the iOS 13 improvements, the iMac looks a better choice.

• @MonzoPro said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@nondes said:

Problem is I don’t know which platform to buy for now - I have all the variations for the others, but will probably just get one copy of this.

So I now need to decide whether to patch up my ailing Windows desktop, or take the plunge with a new iMac...

As a guy with plenty cash ;-) I have ordered both Win & Mac-versions of Affinity Publisher...

I bought a new HP Spectre X360 13.3” 4K recently (instead of a new iPad Pro 12.9”) just to be able to run Affinity Suite in the field with pen or fingers (sometime mouse)... Fantastic good looking laptop/tablet, but, if Apple some day decide to manufacture a Macbook Pro with touchscreen I switch immediately!

The Mac versions of Affinity Suite runs nice on my iMac 27” 5K (bought this used)...

For you Monzo, choose Mac version... I have a feeling that Serif Inc has less bugs in the Mac version...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@MonzoPro said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@nondes said:

As a guy with plenty cash ;-) I have ordered both Win & Mac-versions of Affinity Publisher...

I bought a new HP Spectre X360 13.3” 4K recently (instead of a new iPad Pro 12.9”) just to be able to run Affinity Suite in the field with pen or fingers (sometime mouse)... Fantastic good looking laptop/tablet, but, if Apple some day decide to manufacture a Macbook Pro with touchscreen I switch immediately!

The Mac versions of Affinity Suite runs nice on my iMac 27” 5K (bought this used)...

For you Monzo, choose Mac version... I have a feeling that Serif Inc has less bugs in the Mac version...

Yeah, just had a meeting with the accounts department (Mrs Monzo), and managed to talk her into the iMac option, rather than a new Windows cludge. I haven't had a new work desktop for ten years, so I think it's time I upgraded! Photo runs really slowly on my Windows PC, but is as fast as a bullet on the Macbook Pro (via external SSD), so I can run Publisher on that until I get the iMac.

I think as I'm going to be retiring the Windows desktop I'll stick with just the Mac version - I've got Mac, Windows and iOS versions of Photo and Designer though. Just checked and I get an extra discount for running the beta version, so for £33.99 it's a bargain - particularly as I used to use Quark XPress.

I might have got it wrong, but isn't it possible to use the iPad as an input device with a Mac, with the iOS/OS updates? That would be pretty amazing - being able to use the iPad and Pencil with Affinity on the iMac.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@FlightManual said:

1 Question: Does Samplr work?

YES IT DOES!! FLAWLESS as I can see!

Concern # 1 for many of us here..
    ALL other features of iOS 13 will be an added bonus compared to Samplr being fully + completely operational again! :)

• @MonzoPro said:
    I might have got it wrong, but isn't it possible to use the iPad as an input device with a Mac, with the iOS/OS updates? That would be pretty amazing - being able to use the iPad and Pencil with Affinity on the iMac.

These are the apps that will work in sidecar mode so far.. I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come..
    https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/features#sidecar-apps

• @royor said:

@MonzoPro said:

These are the apps that will work in sidecar mode so far.. I'm sure there'll be plenty more to come..
    https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/features#sidecar-apps

Cool, the Affinity apps are in there.

• So will we be able to plug our iPads into a windows machine and just use explorer to copy files back and forth?

• @auxmux said:

I remember reading that there would be no NTFS support. That was a while back though.

• edited August 2019

@Johnba said:
    This annual update of IOS has ruined it all, for me.
    After 10 years of app-oholism, I consider myself clean.
    I rarely buy apps now, which is perfectly fine in a way.

I feel the hype and excitement is gone, way back when Gestrument,
    TC 11, Lemur, Audiobus, Novation apps and Auria were stepping in the game...

Every month, something new and exciting was happening back then
    in the world of IOS music.... Oh, how I miss those days !

Everything got so technical all of a sudden with terms like AUV3, AU midi etc...
    I don't feel I need THAT much technic to create music
    and I don't think I have the time to understand every subtelty it implies.

I just feel the fun is gone.
    But maybe that's just me.
    Oh well..

My Ipad mini 1st Gen still works, but it is slow AF
    I use it for midi still and a few other apps.
    I think BlocWaves still makes a great sketchpad for these old devices

My Ipad Air 2 died just a month ago after only 4 years of service
    Ghost fixed screen, Contrast problems suddenly appeared right, after
    I updated to IOS 12 making my device absolutely unusable.

I was offered 100 bucks by Apple to sell them my unit.

If I hadn't bought all these apps,
    I feel I could have given up right now on Ipads...

What's your feeling on the IOS scene, after all these years ?
    I know many of you have been here for ages as well.

This isn’t exactly my personal experience, but I can definitely relate in some ways. I like to believe that new innovative apps are coming out all the time, but I’d im honest...and I do really believe this...there still hasn’t been an app as fully comprehensive that realized as much potential for touch screen music creation and expression...as ThumbJam. And ThumbJam was around before this forum or the app that spawned it existed, so....yeah...@sonosaurus was a man ahead of his times.

• I’m having more fun than ever now that I’m no longer always chasing shiny new toys and am becoming much more familiar with what I’ve got.

• edited August 2019

iOS 13.1 for devs version already out while 13 is still in beta. “ Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host applications.” “Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward.“

• For me the file management alone will be worth the sacrifice of breaking some old apps if they indeed break.

I’ve grown to like GB over the years so I do hope it’ll get so more advanced editing features...

Who knows, maybe the Apple Event will also focus more on software than before?
    (Maybe demo the stereo microphones for recording ambient sounds and music?)

I mean Apple did some ASMR videos some time ago to demo the audio capabilities when recording video :D

• @bounce said:
    iOS 13.1 for devs version already out while 13 is still in beta. “ Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host applications.” “Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward.“

That note was also in previous iOS 13 betas.

• edited August 2019

@Johnba said:
    What's your feeling on the IOS scene, after all these years ?
    I know many of you have been here for ages as well.

New here, but making music for years. Sorry to read your iPad troubles. I had iPad Mini burn out and iPad Air 2 touch screen stop. All things must pass.

Future very exciting. Most months new apps, or improvement to old ones. Small problem with some apps not getting fixed/ updated, but IOS still fantastic platform and iPad still great for music making. iPad pricing is joke, but no one forced to buy. :)

• @mistercharlie ahh, you’re right. I know it sounds ominous, but is apps will keep marching on in Audiobus etc. anyway.
    I tried a bunch of different hard drives into the files app and it’s been hit or miss. Some instantly got recognized and some not at all. An 8tb drive took a long time to copy a few hundred mb over to “on my ipad.” Still early days, but things are moving fast.

• It is released now, installing...... 😊

• iPadOS will drop on 30th of September, apparently it's the iPhone that is out now (installing too).

• @Samu said:
    iPadOS will drop on 30th of September, apparently it's the iPhone that is out now (installing too).

Just got moved up to September 24th, it seems.

• I have to wait for Korg I think.

• @BiancaNeve I'm going to try a few things tonight when I finish the install on my phone and let you know. iPad is staying put for now.

• @CracklePot said:

@Samu said:
    iPadOS will drop on 30th of September, apparently it's the iPhone that is out now (installing too).

Just got moved up to September 24th, it seems.

Goodie, so far no issues with the music apps I use on my iPhone 8 :)

GarageBand, Figure, iKaossilator, GrooveBox, TwistedWave, AudioShare, AUM, apeMatrix, AudioBus 3(seldom), Poison-202, KQ Dixie, Squareynth 2, Model D, Model 15, Phase 84, iMPC Pro 2, Koala, Reson Compact, FAC Bandit, FAC Chorus, FAC Maxima, BLEASS Delay, BLEASS Reverb, Spectrum, RoughRider 2, FuzzPlus3, Rozeta, Aton, KB-1, BeBot, nanoloop, KQ UNOTone, AudioCopy and midi LFOs.

So for the iPhone 8 as far as I'm concerned it's a GO! :)

Looking forward to next Tuesday then!

• Awesome. The iPhone 8 is a trusty great phone. I will wait a bit still, but that sounds really good.

• Installed. Sandisk external SSD and a couple of thumb drives mount fine. Have tested reads, but not writes so far. Either way, moving large sample libraries to my phone just got easier.

Now for my “f**k yes!” discovery...iMaschine finally loads and plays properly in AUM. Hasn’t worked (for me) without having to launch it prior to AUM for as long as I can remember. Shit, that fix was worth the price of admission. And that’s with IAA being deprecated. Thanks Apple!

Dark mode...lovely.
    No more need for iZip Pro. Built-in zip support now.

Going to play more later. After seeing this, I can’t wait for iPadOS to drop.

• @david_2017 said:
    Awesome. The iPhone 8 is a trusty great phone. I will wait a bit still, but that sounds really good.

I'll leave my iPhone 8 hooked to the power overnight so it can do it's thing with all my pictures :)
    Will also check all my thumb-drives with the regular CCK later on tomorrow...

• Gaz doing his David Bellamy impressions!

• edited September 2019

Anyone use VoiceRackFX ? Any issues? @Samu

Also has A12 cpu a better performance on iOS13 (for music apps of course)?

• @Janosax said:
    Anyone use VoiceRackFX ? Any issues? @Samu

I've never had any issues with VoiceRackFX but I don't have it installed on my iPhone.
    Will test when iPadOS drops...