Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Free AUv3 ports of Mutable Instruments eurorack modules

Comments

• Really looking forward to trying them in the iPad environment

• @burns_audio said:
    Hi,

Apologies if you've seen me post about this elsewhere, figured I should add a thread here as it seems like the most popular iOS audio forum.

I've been porting Mutable Instruments modules to AUv3. Right now I've got Plaits functioning as a 8-voice polyphonic synth with mod matrix, and Elements working.

My plan is to get Rings and Clouds working as well and do an initial release by end of June. It will be free and open source since most of the heavy lifting was open source code to begin with.

There's a bunch of demos on my Instagram:

Cheers,
    Tom

Brilliant, will try this out later - thanks Tom!

• The mutable thing looks interesting. Never entirely understood what mutable does (not a modular guy - though I do a bunch of algorithmic music in SuperCollider and occasionally CSound) - look forward to finding out.

Free is cool - but given there is a developer tax on IOS of $120, I'm sympathetic to developers who charge a small amount to cover their costs.

• @cian said:
    I think @[Deleted User] was speaking for most of us when he said please stop now.

+1

Regarding the ports...yesterday I spent 2 hours only playing with Plaits + Clouds. Anything else.

Only if this ports contains all the possible modulations that hardware has....

• I think this is an amazing project. Instead of bashing we could think about how this could be supported.

Releasing this free is incredible and opening the opportunity for many many more to download the plugins!

Adding a paypal button on his website will do the trick (even without paying apple the piece of their AppStore and developer cake).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sooooo back on topic...

@burns_audio will Rings and Elements be audio effects with MIDI control?

If so im over the frigging moon.

In the future, a Tides/Marbles as MIDI effects would be great. Even DC audio to be used with a ES-8 for example would be great, both would have me over Mars and orbiting Jupiter!

• @burns_audio can't wait! Also, great that you will release your code. I'm sure it will help others looking to develop plugins.

• Great additions love what you are pushing out there @burns_audio. That Infinity script for Mozaic is great.

• Eager to get sticky paws on these....
    Great stuff!

• edited June 2019

Jeez, getting a little outta hand here!!

Standard internet etiquette: ignore(when OT) or report (when truly inappropriate or offensive)

This applies to every OT post in this thread, including my post here that I wish I didn’t feel the need to write. please just take it elsewhere. And as a courtesy, if each of you go back and delete your own OT comments and replace with “OT, removed :-) ” it might be a nice way to help get back to the discussion.

The direct messaging in the forum works great if there’s ever really an issue to get sorted.
    [edit: and PLEASE don’t respond to my comments here. I’m here to talk about the MI eurorack module AUv3 apps]

So, the demo videos of this seem promising. Super cool of the dev to do all this work!

• You are still not saying anything on topic!

Here let me start you off with a question: should it have MIDI learn or have all the MIDI available within the AU host? Personally Im happy that Autony recently switched from MIDI learn in the app to being dealt with by the host.

• Nope. It's me now!

So happy to hear this news. I absolutely love clouds and was recently looking at buying the hardware. I'll put that on hold now.

Huge thanks to the dev of these. Very exciting.

• The UI could use some work, but for free it’s fine I guess. The sound definitely hits the right spots and will be an enrichment for the iPad musicians repertoire. I think especially ApeMatrix will be great with this if you can modulate all those parameters with the LFOs.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@Zaubrer said:
    Who wants to have the last word, eh?

Me! Kidding ;)

Wonder how hard these are going to be on CPU. Vcvrack can get pretty heavy on older laptops. Though not so much of a problem on anything pretty recent....

Hopefully the minimal GUI will also help a little and be able to squeeze a bunch of instances out of my iPad.

Wonder how plaits will compare to something like Model D for CPU?

Thats a good point, I believe the VCV rack MIs were adjusted to lower CPU usage.

The minimalist UI may help?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Great additions love what you are pushing out there @burns_audio. That Infinity script for Mozaic is great.

Ah did he do that one as well? Just downloaded that, so will have a play later.

• I actually love the idea of the UI being very plain. As long as the touch interaction works well, I would much rather a dev who is donating their time be able to focus on the essential parts: the audio. :)

• @Zaubrer said:
    The UI could use some work, but for free it’s fine I guess.

Maybe @audiblevideo could jump into the party if wanted... he made some cool UI concepts for photon

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Great additions love what you are pushing out there @burns_audio. That Infinity script for Mozaic is great.

Ah did he do that one as well? Just downloaded that, so will have a play later.

I just saw mention on his instagram and it looks neat.

• @Hmtx said:
    I actually love the idea of the UI being very plain. As long as the touch interaction works well, I would much rather a dev who is donating their time be able to focus on the essential parts: the audio. :)

Same. AU params and I’m good.

• edited June 2019

Oh hello!! https://www.instagram.com/gravitronic/ Just go listen to and watch all the demos if you really want to be inspired. I like it!

• Is there a beta? If not, can there be, pretty please. :)

• Woah! Thanks for all the discussion :)

For now Elements is an instrument with no audio input. I haven't started on Rings. I tried hard-wiring a feedback loop on Elements but it made it really really easy to do piercing, ugly feedback and I don't want to give people a headache. The mod matrix will allow patching the output to parameters which works well as a way to add uncertainty/noise to a patch.

I'm using Elements as a use-case for extracting out common pieces from the Plaits synth for re-use. Once they're both done I'll move on to Clouds and Rings, and it should be quite fast to get them done.

I just got the UIs working on iPhone, so they'll be universal at launch.

Speaking of the UI, I'm of a bit of a different mindset than a lot of the audio UI development world.. I want big touch targets and high contrast so I can see what I'm doing. I want to support as many devices as possible without it becoming a UI for ants. Then I want to support dynamic text sizes and the built in screen reader for people with difficulty seeing. THEN I care about aesthetics (which, I agree, can use work). The UI uses Apple's UIKit and gets generated from the AU parameter tree, so I can make the other audio units in a fraction of the time the first ones took.

Cheers
    Tom

• Looking forward to this, many nice examples on the insta link. I loved the drone day example.

The Clouds diffuser sound fascinating, looking forward to that as well!

• @burns_audio said:

Speaking of the UI, I'm of a bit of a different mindset than a lot of the audio UI development world.. I want big touch targets and high contrast so I can see what I'm doing. I want to support as many devices as possible without it becoming a UI for ants. Then I want to support dynamic text sizes and the built in screen reader for people with difficulty seeing. THEN I care about aesthetics (which, I agree, can use work). The UI uses Apple's UIKit and gets generated from the AU parameter tree, so I can make the other audio units in a fraction of the time the first ones took.

Fair enough a lot of audio UIs are terrible - pretty doesn't mean usable. But don't make the mistake of thinking that aesthetics/layout don't affect UX. Spacing, font sizes and color used carefully are very efficient ways of communicating important information to users.