Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS 13

Comments

• LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

@Paa89 said:

@MobileMusic said:
    Now, it's time to unleash the new Cubasis version @LFS :smile:

I’m really interested to see what Steinberg have for us.especially with the new files management situation.
    Maybe not this coming update, but I’m sure Cubasis file management shall be renovated. Fingers crossed 😂

Hi @Paa89,

As mentioned, this is in the plan for a future update, but not the next one...

Best,
    Lars

• Speaking of file management ,finally external storage is supported :)

• @Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:
    If the iPad iOS is going to support USB thumb drives, I wonder if you will be able to connect an external SSD? Now that would be a proper thing...

I’m pretty sure you can do that.

Ooh. In that case rather than replace my elderly Macbook Pro laptop with a cheaper model, and my Air 2 with an Air 3 - I'll be looking to replace both with a bigger iPad. What's always stopped me using an iPad for mobile work stuff (taking it to meetings, training sessions, email and access while on holiday etc.) was the mean amount of storage, and file transfer hassles, so being able to plug in an SSD and backup to that makes it a usable option. Being able to use it as an input device, and with a mouse also ticks a couple more boxes.

So for a grand I can get an iPad Pro 12.9 inch, as opposed to £500 for the Air 3, plus £1600 for a Macbook Air (can't even begin to justify £2600 for a new Macbook Pro).

Need to see how the updates pan out, but the figures look promising.

Yeah that’s definitely the market they are aiming for, going to be a more useful and capable device going forward :)

I’m in the same boat. I want to do more work stuff with my 12.9 for video and art, but without those features I need a laptop too etc.

At the moment I'm not using the iPad for graphics or video at all - despite having the Affinity apps. It's really down to storage as my Air 2 is full to the brim with music stuff - I don't even use if for email. External storage would completely change all that, mouse input too, and I'd finally get myself an Apple pencil. Makes sense really as my day job is graphics/web design, and at the moment I use a Wacom for any freehand stuff.

Yep, this would be a game changer for me, and as a bonus I'd have a bigger iPad for musdic stuff!

I can see Adobe stepping up their game into iPadOS now, Photoshop got delayed, maybe they were waiting for these pro features, as it's just such a faff without them. I have the Affinity apps etc but because ios is basically awful for this stuff I don't bother really and just use my desktop and laptop. iPadOs will hopefully change this quickly. :)

I've been using Photo and Designer on the laptop and desktop for a few years now. After 20+ years of using Adobe, there are still moments of 'WHY CAN'T YOU DO THIS REALLY SIMPLE THING?', but I then feel better when I think of the money I'm saving!

When Publisher is released Affinity will cover all my needs - and being able to transfer files between desktop and iPad versions will make a 12" iPad a real laptop replacement for me.

Worried about losing support for IAA for music apps, but looking forward to work-related benefits of the updates.

It's always swings and roundabouts with Apple.

• @MonzoPro said:

Yeah, I'm so pleased about external storage, that's a huge relief! Even with a 256GB ipad it's not enough for me with lots of apps/files/videos/graphics and samples etc so now being able to transfer projects easily is going to make a huge difference :)

In fact I may even install this one early as October feels a long way off. :)

Yeah shame about IAA but I find the workflow so bad in comparison to AU that I'm rarely using it unless I have to. I just hope the remaining non-AU apps will be updated in time.

• @Bachus said:
    Have you ever looked at a sequencer...
    While audio is linear..
    In my song with 16 tracks, they are all mostly independent and pararel to eachother
    In my book there id nothing more suited for paralel threads then multi channel audio..
    1 thread for the main engine
    And each audio channel its own thread..

But then .. maybe i dont have a degree in programming... or did i? Just can't remember what i learned back then at school...

@Bachus I've written multicore code, I've written vectorized code and I've written audio code. So yes, I've got a vague idea as to what is involved thank you. Enough of an idea to know that having each audio channel on it's own thread would actually result in slower code...

Limitations that you have: audio files (IO can't typically happen in parallel without special hardware), sends and auxillary buses (i.e. audio linearity). All of these things can be worked around (though overhead will eat up quite a bit of the potential saving), but DAWs are not as parallel as you think. And making these things as parallel as possible is hard and time consuming. You need a graph, and a way of calculating dependencies and then a way to use that so that your scheduler knows what it can work on next. And for at least some of each audio quantum most of your cores will be idle.

Is it worth it? Depends upon how many cores you have. An Air 3 has two cores that are suitable for audio. And obviously doesn't have some of the other stuff that a Xeon has to support multi-processing scientific computing/high load servers.

• @Bachus said:

@balph said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:
    Just read some rumours which said proper font management (well needed) and “the ability to cycle through different versions of the same app”.
    Hmm, I’ll believe it when I see for music apps as that would mean Multi instance standalone IAA :D

I used to loathe IAA and want everything to be au. But recently I’m finding the full screen and unlimited nature of IAA has its own pros. Especially on phones.

IAA is here to stay for the foreseeable future, really premature of apps like NS2 to not internally support it :/ It’s like ‘hey, I’m going to ignore this whole eco system and pretend it doesn’t exist, because in an ideal world it would be different’... nice dream but While IAA still offers unique apps or functions over AU, multi instance IAA would be great :)

It seems like the IAA API is fully deprecated in iOS 13: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox?changes=latest_minor

It’s understandable that the developer of NS2 is not going to support a deprecated technology, since it can now be removed at any moment (although in practice this will still take a while).

So basically they removed IAA support from IOS 13?

Need to see who upgrades their apps to AUv3 and who doesnt before spending another dime.

Deprecated does not remain that it has been pulled from the OS.

Your IAA apps will still run. See the thread about IAA deprecation for more perspective.

• The end of the line for my beloved Air 1. :'(

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    The end of the line for my beloved Air 1. :'(

It’s a hardware device for IAA apps now ;)

• Dark Mode should have been included in iOS v2 over a decade ago. Now, all the devs may be required to update their apps to support dark mode.

• Wondering if there are any presentations at WWDC about improvements in IOS 13 that will affect us music lovers and hopefully improve the lives of audio/midi developers?

• Just installed iPadOS13 on my ”retired” iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd generation...
    Pretty impressed so far!

SD-card from my Canon G10 with pictures run smooth as hell into the files app...
    Unfortunately my only tested USB-stick don’t work (errormessage saying it demands to much power to run)... Very old 512MB stick though... I will test another later...

Dark mode? Yeah! As we have waited for that mode...

Easy installation, no hussle...

Coming back later for a real music app test review...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@ErrkaPetti said:
    Just installed iPadOS13 on my ”retired” iPad Pro 12.9” 2nd generation...
    Pretty impressed so far!

SD-card from my Canon G10 with pictures run smooth as hell into the files app...
    Unfortunately my only tested USB-stick don’t work (errormessage saying it demands to much power to run)... Very old 512MB stick though... I will test another later...

Dark mode? Yeah! As we have waited for that mode...

Easy installation, no hussle...

Coming back later for a real music app test review...

Is files app fully open now via usb drive and usb transfer to desktop etc?

Guessing they’ll never open up system files, but does it have access to stuff like voice memo was files and so on now?

Hi there.
    I did a test and These are the things I was able to do With Files App.

1.connected my usb stick.
    I could copy files from the usb to iPad. And from iPad to usb.
    I could copy videos and photo from the photos app to usb.
    I could create a new folder on the usb stick
    Delete items, rename etc.
    You can view pictures and videos on your stick directly in Files App without copying to photos app.

2 Files App
    I could create a new folder on the main section.so you can create your own folder where you can save your items.
    You can compress folders and files.
    You can unzip files directly in there.
    But for Rar files just like on Mac OS, you need a Rar app for that.

There is also a Download folder where all your items you downloaded from safari are saved.
    You have to enable this in the main settings because it’s set to save the downloads directly to iCloud.(don’t know why they did so).

with voice memo, you can just tap on the recording, tap on share and choose save to Files and there you can choose where to save it.
    Just let me know if you have other questions, would be glad to test.

• I wonder if only USB-C memory sticks will be supported

• @yug said:
    I wonder if only USB-C memory sticks will be supported

It works with the Lighning->USB adapter as well...
    ...so devices hooked to a USB hub will work.

It looks like it's proper mass-storage support, yay! :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Samu said:

@yug said:

It works with the Lighning->USB adapter as well...
    ...so devices hooked to a USB hub will work.

It looks like it's proper mass-storage support, yay! :)

This is great! Really looking forward to it
    Another reason to choose a Pro model rather than a regular iPad (not sure about iPad Air 3) - it supports USB3

• @yug said:

Mine is a regular usb stick.i just connected it to a £5 usb c adapter and it works no issues

• @Paa89 said:

@yug said:

Mine is a regular usb stick.i just connected it to a £5 usb c adapter and it works no issues

Awesome, thanks for confirming

• 1 Question: Does Samplr work?

• Curious about Samplr too. Also, can you quickly preview audio files in the Files app like you can with Audioshare?

• Here's a link to the features list for iPadOS from Apple (same articles there for iOS 13 & Catalina). https://apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/features/.

• Ugh - I hope that the Lumbeat apps get the AU treatment.

• Yeah,
    SamplR!!?

And: USB stuff.... only photos and Videos? Or any files. Talking about samples.... for instance, doc files, files beside photos. I couldn’t care less about copying photos from drive to iPad and vice versa

• Hello there, again!

I switched the USB memorystick that was not working, to an 8GB Kingston stick from 2012, and, it works great!

You can copy and paste every kind of file/files that you can see into the Files app...

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Hello there, again!

I switched the USB memorystick that was not working, to an 8GB Kingston stick from 2012, and, it works great!

You can copy and paste every kind of file/files that you can see into the Files app...

Try hooking the usb memories to a powered usb hub and see if you can access all of them?
    Also check the 'format' of the non working stick?

Would be worth a try to see if NTFS and exFAT formatted usb sticks work as well for both read & write.
    NTFS will most likely be read-only but exFAT should work which is needed for 'large'(>4GB files).

So far things are looking good so I feel no fear updating to iOS13 when it drops later this year :)

• @FlightManual said:

1 Question: Does Samplr work?

YES IT DOES!! FLAWLESS as I can see!

• Which file systems does Files.app support anyway? I’m guessing FAT32, but how about HFS+ or APFS? Can anyone check, please? I haven’t found it on the web yet.

• I wonder if its possible to use two audio interfaces at the same time that would be awesome

• Yeah curious about NTFS support, most/all my USB and external drives are ntfs