Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Scarlett 2i4 Interface; Worth It?

I have a line on a decently priced first-generation Scarlett 2i4 interface. This would mostly be used for live recording: guitar, vocals, maybe bass and a midi keyboard.

Have there been significant upgrades since this came out? Worth it?

Comments

• Its a solid interface still. Afaik 2i2 and 2i4 benefitted more from 2nd gen upgrade than 6i6 and above. They got slightly less latency and at least input on 2i2 is not that hot anymore.

I would look for used 1st gen 6i6 instead, but the differences shoulsnt be big other than amount of I/O. Price difference of used 1st gen 2i4 and 6i6 isnt much at all

• Left out a salient point:
    $50!

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Left out a salient point:
    $50!

Well then definitely get it if you need an interface and it has enoug ins and outs!

• Thanks for your advice.

I think it will be good for a mobile setup. My only hesitation is that it's USB-A or -B, and it'll be running on a new Macbook, which has only USB-C. But adapters work, right?

• edited June 2019

For £50, yes, definitely get it.

I own one, and it's decent for the price. The pre-amps aren't very powerful: they can only supply about 35db of clean gain, once you go past about 2 o'clock on the gain dial the preamps get very noisy. But in order to do significantly better you would need something like an Apogee Duet, and then you're looking at a whole other price range.

For recording guitars or bass it's absolutely fine. For recording vocals it very much depends on the mic, if your mic requires a lot of gain then you might struggle to monitor the vocals effectively, because you will need to record at relatively quiet levels if you don't want to have too much noise.

• It's for my kid, actually. It's between this and a Behringer UMC404 ($145). He'd prefer the four inputs to be able to record drums as well, but this seems to be a much more solid option, no? And you're going to need a mixer anyway at some point....

• edited June 2019

I'd be hesitant on a gen 1, though I got rid of mine before the latest beta drivers. I often had issues with a gen 1 8i6. Since going 6i6v2 it's worked flawlessly.

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    I'd be hesitant on a gen 1, though I got rid of mine before the latest beta drivers. I often had issues with a gen 1 8i6. Since going 6i6v2 it's worked flawlessly.

6i6 isn't usb powered right?

• I am waiting patiently on HD404 to go to $99 ( which it has before ) . It has 2 outputs so planning to use one as fx return and bring output back in .

• @Multicellular said:

@vitocorleone123 said:

6i6 isn't usb powered right?

Nope. It has a power source of its own. I never had any problems witv my 1st gen 6i6

• You don’t need an adaptor for usb-c to the interface, just buy a USB c to usb (whatever the square end is called these days) cable instead. Same goes for many other devices such as usb hard drives, replacing the cable rather than adding adaptors is far more reliable.