Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(UPDATE AMENDED OP)Paying for AU(Audio Unit) “upgrade”?

Now that IAA is RIP for all intensive purposes. All apps I assume will be AU over time.

Do you have an issue w a developer charging for a “new app” but really same app but an AU version?

How many apps do you own............may get expensive...no?

Potential solutions?

UPDATE:

NOTE: AFTER FURTHER PONDERING...... I THINK I POPPED OFF WITH THIS THREAD AFTER THE ANS AU APP CAME OUT.

I NEVER AM BOTHERED BY COSTS OR FEES, AND I DON'T MIND SUPPORTING THIS AND THAT. I AM A PERSON WHO ACTUALLY SUPPORTS SUPER CHATS WITH DONATIONS ON YT.....ETC

I THINK FOR SOME REASON THE PRICE OF THE APP FOR WHAT IT IS SORT OF HIT SOME ODD NERVE WITH ME AND PISSED ME OFF. I ENJOYED THE ORIGINAL APP, SO NOT SURE WHY THAT APP AND THAT PRICE FOR AU SET ME OFF.

JUST WANTED TO ELABORATE AND TELL ON MYSELF AS FAR AS WHAT THE MINDSET AT THE TIME OF THE ORIGINAL COMPOSITION WAS.

I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE JUST CALLED OUT THAT APP BUT I DON'T LIKE SHITTING ON APPS OR DEVS BY NAME..... MY BAD FOR LACK OF CLARITY AND REFLECTION ON THE TOPIC PRIOR TO POSTING.

Comments

• I would pay for the Korg apps

• edited June 2019

Well, the fabfilter Auv3s will be pricy and I am not really happy about it, especially as I own them all in Auria. But hey, the best plugins in the market, so I will pay anyway, I guess.

• That we question the reasonableness of developers getting paid for their work is one of the reasons it is virtually impossible to make a reasonable living developing this amazing software.

The App Store lack of upgrade sales makes things tough. So, devs have to either release as a new app or figure out how to package things as IAPs.

• Potential solutions?

Sue them for usury? ;) ;) ;)

• edited June 2019

I am so sad the mighty Thor will die. I don’t see propheads updating it in any way anymore... so sad. Hopefully the Synthjacker dude will make the IAA rescue station possible with his all to save some of these sounds from Thor and the like

• I would have no problems paying an iap for an Audio Unit support for some, a lot of them I’ve kinda moved on from. My au collection is growing to the point where even some of them I don’t get around to using a lot.

• Korg would be painful, spent a lot of money on gadget(s)

• I think we should support the developers.
    At this point, I pretty much have almost all the apps I need to make music.
    I’m just waiting on sugar byte to implement Effectrix with AUv3 and Audio kit to add Auv3 to their synths.
    Would pay £50 if anyone could come up with something similar to gross beat, in case effectrix don’t get AUv3.

• @cyberheater said:
    I would pay for the Korg apps

Yep

I think I would as well.

• @Strizbiz said:
    I would have no problems paying an iap for an Audio Unit support for some, a lot of them I’ve kinda moved on from. My au collection is growing to the point where even some of them I don’t get around to using a lot.

Agree
    Unfortunately for me the AU universe seems to to be slipping into IAA ways in some regards for my liking.

Too many “connections “ and “configurations” on multiple apps just to connect a simple item together and play it accordingly.

I just think I am spoiled from Ableton midi connection abilities.

The other big issue is Samples being used by AU, that is no small feat on iOS w the lacking file management infrastructure.

Just me though

• I don't think its unreasonable for a developer to charge for a new app as it would be giving us a feature that wasn’t in the app when purchased. As far as I'm concerned you purchase an app for what it can do when you buy it. Its always nice when a developer releases free updates with new features, but I don't see why we should expect free upgrades.

• @david_2017 said:
    I am so sad the mighty Thor will die. I don’t see propheads updating it in any way anymore... so sad. Hopefully the Synthjacker dude will make the IAA rescue station possible with his all to save some of these sounds from Thor and the like

A used iPad that will ably run any of today's IAA apps can be had pretty inexpensively. Think of it as a hardware Thor.

• @espiegel123 said:
    That we question the reasonableness of developers getting paid for their work is one of the reasons it is virtually impossible to make a reasonable living developing this amazing software.

The App Store lack of upgrade sales makes things tough. So, devs have to either release as a new app or figure out how to package things as IAPs.

No one questioned the reasonableness of Developers getting paid anywhere on this thread.
    No where. Straw man.

Customers are discussing opinions on market trends and pricing value structure with expected functional alterations.

It is the customers that determine the success or failure of apps ultimately. Isn’t it?

So, are you saying that developers who don’t and haven’t charged for AU upgrades or improvements are losing money or doing charity work? Are they working for free?

Or are you suggesting customers act more as charitable contributions for developers to keep products updated with operating systems and user needs?

Ultimately unless every developer charges, the fairness and perceived value of the app or developers approach may be questioned.

I like people having the ability to voice concerns or ideas determining how they spend their hard earned money.

I think people are tired of being nickel and dimed at every turn.

So I guess it matters if a person cares more about their finances versus a developers income?

Goods and services get paid for and that is it. I don’t see this warm and fuzzy BS about how hard someone worked as relevant when it comes to an app. I don’t know who works hard or not really. And don’t care.

I want my apps to work and do what they say.

In my experience of the world when owning a business or being an entrepreneur, you don’t get to monetize everything you do. Long hours and sacrifice are part of the deal. Capital expense albeit time or money are part of the deal.

I have found the more myself or others do that and not expect “allowances” or “severance” for things they knew they would have to do as an independent contractor in the first place succeed at the highest rate

I am sure the apps/devs that are good enough will make it without any complaints no matter what they charge or decide to do.

Perhaps this thread can give insight to developers as well in how they decide what to do.
    Since without all these users buying apps developers won’t be making money after all.

Who knows though.

• @RUST( i )K : customer expectations and the App Store structure (i.e. inability of developers to charge for upgrades) has created an app economy where it is virtually impossible to make a decent living as a music app developer.

Sure, people have a right to voice their opinion. I also think that many people have unrealistic expectations and don't recognize the consequences of the things that they want.

It is also really clear from a lot of the conversations on this forum that the vast majority of people here do not understand how very little money even the very top iOS music apps generate.

• I wish we could find out up front from the Devs of apps what their plans are, so we aren't left waiting or hoping for something from a particular developer.

Elastic Drums
    Animoog
    Thor
    Aphelian
    Bleass Groovebox
    Patterning
    Korg Gadget
    Korg Electribe Wave
    Figure
    Grooverider GR-16
    Koala
    Pulse
    Thumbjam
    Manyothers

• edited June 2019

AU bounties. :)

We all pledge money against the app we want converted to AUv3, and once it's released and considered stable the developer can claim the reward.

I'm willing to start a bounty for Korg Odyssei, Magellan, DM1/DM2, iProphet, and Propellerheads Thor.

...and can we also resurrect Z3ta+?

I feel like Animoog should be converted free of charge. Come on Moog!

• @RUST( i )K said:

@cyberheater said:

Yep

I think I would as well.

Me too.

• I’d pay for an upgrade to AU gladly, especially if I didn’t have the AU roadmap in mind when I bought the original app. I personally buy every AU I discover wether I need it or not because it’s dirt cheap compared to desktop and I want to support the push to make the iPad a Pro’s audio tool. I am however against any subscription model of any host or app.

• It’s really very simple. Either it is worth it for the developer to invest the time, or its not. To some the deciding factor is, or has to be out of necessity, financial return on investment. To some the satisfaction of maintaining the app is enough.

How we feel about it doesn’t change that basic equation one bit.

However, expressing how we feel about it, or far more more importantly, whether or not we would purchase, is IMO valuable market information. If I was a developer I would be paying very close attention to discussions like this in order to help shape my plans.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

As for me. I would pay full price again for apps I care enough about, which is probably most of them ... eventually.

I do not feel that any developer should have to work for free once an app is bug-free and does what it promised to do. Fixing stuff that Apple breaks is a bit different. I feel there is some obligation there, though there has to be practical limits on that as well.

• I paid 69p for Animoog. If they want to make an AU version as a new app and charge me for it I don’t suppose I have much cause for complaint

• @wim said:
    As for me. I would pay full price again for apps I care enough about, which is probably most of them ... eventually.

I do not feel that any developer should have to work for free once an app is bug-free and does what it promised to do. Fixing stuff that Apple breaks is a bit different. I feel there is some obligation there, though there has to be practical limits on that as well.

I was about to say that is probably the best attitude. Use the "Update" mechanism of the App Store for bugfixes and adaptions for new devices, etc... add new features to the app over the course of a year or two, and then release a new version as a new app. That's really the only way it is maybe remotely sustainable (and, to be honest, fair!).

• The pity is (and I don’t say this to reflect negatively on anyone who has commented!) is the expectations are so high. Any developer who dares to charge again for a re-issue of an app that isn’t radically improved and has every new feature a person wanted is absolutely going to get hammered by complaints.

I don’t see any solution for it though. If it’s not sustainable for developers, then they just won’t do it, and we don’t get the shiny new toys, or the ones we do have fade away.

Market economics will win out eventually though.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would gladly pay again for Animoog (even on top of the original and massive 69p outlay), Thor (Propellerhead are still in the game so, who knows, it could be updated) and Nave (I’m a dreamer).

• @Beathoven said:
    I would gladly pay again for Animoog (even on top of the original and massive 69p outlay), Thor (Propellerhead are still in the game so, who knows, it could be updated) and Nave (I’m a dreamer).

Nave lol, you're a dreamer, but who knows :D

• I think many of these IAA would be half-baked and buggy Auv3. Doing AUv3 right requires dedication to it & passion for it. Neither of which is already evident in many cases. - So look ahead not backwards. 🤓

• edited June 2019

That I will pay again for apps just to exchange them to AUv3 will be the exception rather than the rule.
    I own for more than 1k musical apps and honestly more than I need. Only for a few apps which I really love and often use I would pay again.

At this time when IAA apps will not supported by the OS anymore I will freeze one of my iPads to the current state so I would be able to use my IAA also in future if needed.

I also love the idea less is more!
    I ask my myself, can I make my music just with AUv3 apps I already own?

So I will start a little experiment just for myself.
    I own more than one iPad Pro. I will remove from one of them all apps which are not AUv3. I’m curious, which Synths, Drums and FX remain on the iPad, quite a lot I think. And I’m quite sure there will be enough apps to make some nice music with.

If I need or want something different, I can use the other iPad with all my IAA gems... 😊
    I feel relaxed...

Bom Shankar! 👍

• @cyberheater said:

Ditto.

• As @SevenSystems says: the only sustainable and fair model is the "free updates for bug fixes and devices support, paid upgrades for major versions with new features, released approximately yearly". I would also expect substantial discount for people upgrading from previous versions. This is actually a business model that works well on the desktop, no need to reinvent the wheel.
    There is always a question if the features in the new version are worth the money - the same question you ask yourself about the app when you buy it for the first time... ;)
    There is one benefit compared to the subscription model - you can decide to not pay anymore and still be able to use the app. Maybe it will no longer be supported (you can't expect the developer to still maintain all the versions of the app when there is e.g. fifth major version over 5 years), but you still have the option to freeze your OS version and it should still work. Again, exactly how it work's in desktop world.
    Back to the original question - if the upgrade contains AU version only compared to previous version, then it always depends on the price for the upgrade and of course - personal preference, if AU wouldn't fit your workflow anyway, no need to upgrade.