Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Biggest Audio News from Today's Apple Event: IAA is deprecated in iPadOS & iOS 13!

Comments

• edited June 2019

@Michael said:

@cyberheater said:

@Samu said:
    This one sounds interesting...

A new method is available for an AVAudioEngine-based app to retrieve a list of all nodes attached to an AVAudioEngine instance.

It would be a game-changer if it enabled 'soudflower type' functionality allowing us to record the output from any app running on the device :)

It would be great to add compression to podcasts.

Sorry guys, but that's never gonna happen 😊

What a shame.

• @Michael said:

@cyberheater said:

@Samu said:

A new method is available for an AVAudioEngine-based app to retrieve a list of all nodes attached to an AVAudioEngine instance.

It would be a game-changer if it enabled 'soudflower type' functionality allowing us to record the output from any app running on the device :)

Shame that this sort of thing won't work... But in the meantime, Castro and Overcast podcast players have built in compression fx (I think as IAP in both?). I use Castro as it has a fantastic way of managing your subscriptions and getting the episodes you want to the top of the playlist. It's compression feature is called "Enhance voices" and works pretty well.

Overcast is great too.

They're both free IIRC, with IAP/Subscription for more features.

• @Michael said:

@Beathoven said:
    Progress can be tough. I wouldn’t assume that this is going to give certain devs a kick up the jacksie, it could equally mean we lose some big players over the next couple of years, as they weigh the viability/effort involved.

True. When we're getting close to the time Apple decide to turn it off, assuming that ever arrives, I’ll do some polling and see if it’s worth putting time into building my own protocol again so those apps can remain on the bus.

Or.... Loopy Pro AU is coming with ability to host Samplr. Priceless!

• @Michael said:

@cyberheater said:

@Samu said:

BossJock has built-in compression, limiting, etc. on the fly without the user having to enable/tweak them.

• @realdawei said:
    Not holding my breath for Korg ...

Well, I guess I'm gonna suffocate to death waiting on iMonoPoly.

Nice knowing ya'll.

Peace.

• With AUv3 code being the same on iOS and Mac OS, I would think it's more likely that Korg updates Gadget synths to AU since they've already done that for the Mac version of Gadget. Maybe Gadget itself could be another AU host.

Who knows if they'll do any of this.

• Can you implement the UI for an audio unit in Swift? Kind of curious (I figure that AU3 can't be worse than the horror show that is VST3).

• @Michael said:
    Fret not, this is a very positive step. IAA won't be going away any time soon, but it'll be a nice kick up the jacksie for those developers who don't support AUv3 yet (yeah, Michael Tyson of Loopy/Samplebot, hear that?).

That's the attitude fella. If your internal motivation mojo has taken a nap, you can always rely on the fine folk of Infinite Loop to nudge you in the right direction. :)

• Any news about creating greater longevity to Apple devices?

• @knewspeak said:
    Any news about creating greater longevity to Apple devices?

My Air 2 is still getting updates, feels like new, and iOS12 made it faster than the previous iOS version. So I'd say they're delivering on that promise already :)

• @brambos said:

@knewspeak said:

My Air 2 is still getting updates, feels like new, and iOS12 made it faster than the previous iOS version. So I'd say they're delivering on that promise already :)

Have to agree!
    If Apple is able to squeeze even more juice out of the ageing hardware I'm going to be very impressed :)

• @brambos said:

@knewspeak said:

Yep, ios12 gave my old Air 2 a real boost.

• @yowza said:
    With AUv3 code being the same on iOS and Mac OS, I would think it's more likely that Korg updates Gadget synths to AU since they've already done that for the Mac version of Gadget. Maybe Gadget itself could be another AU host.

Who knows if they'll do any of this.

Korg sticks to their vision, but has a lot invested in iOS. It makes sense they'll continue to develop Gadget and adapt to whatever the needs are to keep it working for their user base. It's primarily a stand-alone app anyway. I don't know their thinking, but maybe an improved AUv3 implementation on iOS would be what they've been waiting to support.

• @greengrocer said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ricksteruk said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    I will update my mini4 due new features like screen mirroring (ideal for my mac mini/iPad setup?)

Yeah I've been thinking of this - I wonder if it will be possible to use an iPad as the only screen for a Mac Mini. That would be an awesome set up for live use - especially as the Sidecar screen mirroring looks to be wireless as well as wired :smile:

The same idea and could make me keep the mini4 and the mac mini instead sold them and get an macbook gluedcomponents air...

in fact I keep using macOS for GarageBand mainly but I'm cutting all my dependencies every single day goes...

Switched to Windows and I'm happy with the change. Apple computers became way too expensive. But if we are talking touch devices iPads and iPhones are still the way to go especially when looking at the cool apps available for iOS,

I buy old apple gear... if I need to buy something it will be 6s or 7, iPad cheap with pencil and macbook air 2013 or similar... nothing newer.

• edited June 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@greengrocer said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ricksteruk said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    I will update my mini4 due new features like screen mirroring (ideal for my mac mini/iPad setup?)

Yeah I've been thinking of this - I wonder if it will be possible to use an iPad as the only screen for a Mac Mini. That would be an awesome set up for live use - especially as the Sidecar screen mirroring looks to be wireless as well as wired :smile:

The same idea and could make me keep the mini4 and the mac mini instead sold them and get an macbook gluedcomponents air...

in fact I keep using macOS for GarageBand mainly but I'm cutting all my dependencies every single day goes...

Switched to Windows and I'm happy with the change. Apple computers became way too expensive. But if we are talking touch devices iPads and iPhones are still the way to go especially when looking at the cool apps available for iOS,

I buy old apple gear... if I need to buy something it will be 6s or 7, iPad cheap with pencil and macbook air 2013 or similar... nothing newer.

Bought a 2nd hand HP Elitebook 840 G5 Intel Core i5 8250U 256GB SSD 8GB for 450. Good screen and superfast. Has still nearly 2 years Pickup and Return Service :)

• Probably not a big change for users but a clue for developers to help them plan. It's the platform vendors notice of a long term intent to drop support and won't impact users until IOS 15 or so.

In the world of software development, "Deprecated" refers to functions or elements that are in the process of being replaced by newer ones. The term comes from the word "deprecate," which means to disapprove of something.

It is usually the escape clause they need in the future to stop fixing bugs that show up in subsequent releases, so, they can respond "We warned you that this functionality would be been deprecated." It's a process that evolves over multiple years. It allows their Quality Assurance teams to stop testing that code and keep shipping it "as is" and slowly bugs will emerge over multiple releases and make the routines so buggy.

Dropping support for the hardware we own is usually the most distressing problem. My first iPad still runs NanoStudio 1 pretty well so I'm not complaining about that investment.

• edited June 2019

Hope this means SampleTank and effectrix will finally get auv3

• @ikmultimedia :Sampletank iOS are you listening?

• @mannix said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@greengrocer said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ricksteruk said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Bought a 2nd hand HP Elitebook 840 G5 Intel Core i5 8250U 256GB SSD 8GB for 450. Good screen and superfast. Has still nearly 2 years Pickup and Return Service :)

Those 8250u are great processors. I’m eyeing a few smaller laptops with those in them. They bench almost as high as the monster 4th gen quad core in my current behemoth 15.6 inch workstation

• iOS Inter-App Audio is going away; Audiobus creator on what’s next

http://cdm.link/2019/06/iaa-audiobus-ios-13/

• @White said:
    Sven Braun (ZMORS) on porting complex IOS apps to MacOS

https://www.facebook.com/100000975739540/posts/2835769719798858?s=1390606723&sfns=mo

The only things that interest me 1. Do these apps especially made for touch work normally on a Mac, most of them are made with touch in mind. 2. Do you pay for the same app on different platforms . So you end up paying for AUv3 your iOS, iPadOS and MacOS?

• Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I've just gotten back into the iOS music production loop after a long break and am concerned about the abandonment of IAA & what's being discussed in the Korg AUv3 thread (link below)... :

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33871/korg-vs-auv3-support-a-never-ending-story/p1

...is focused on Korg's IAA/AUv3 future and I have a question re: IAA's future specifically.

Since it's been a month plus since the announcement and the "iOS13"/iPadOS beta has been in use awhile, has anyone on the beta ran into any issues running IAA's?

I gathered from posts here that even though Apple has sent IAA out to pasture & deprecated the format it is working the same as it has been, the change is where devs may have used IAA in its application before, they now must use AUv3.

BWill the new OS still run IAA's? I get the format has been supplanted but apps like MIDI Guitar, etc were always IAA and losing them is a tough pill to choke back...

• I don’t think it is immediate @JRSIV. It could be years. @Michael hinted he might have a workaround even when it does happen. I think all the possibilities are discussed in the thread.

• @LinearLineman Thanks brother, I made the cardinal sin of not reading every post on the thread. But still I wanted clarification, for instance someone posted that an IAA they tried still worked in iOS13/iPadOS but that's one app. Hopefully Apple doesn't jank up IAA through software updates to deter it's use. I get if they aren't going to update the tech behind IAA but just leave it be so the hundreds of apps with IAA can still be worked with...

• @JRSIV said:
    @LinearLineman Thanks brother, I made the cardinal sin of not reading every post on the thread. But still I wanted clarification, for instance someone posted that an IAA they tried still worked in iOS13/iPadOS but that's one app. Hopefully Apple doesn't jank up IAA through software updates to deter it's use. I get if they aren't going to update the tech behind IAA but just leave it be so the hundreds of apps with IAA can still be worked with...

Search for "IAA" in the wiki and you will find an article that has a link to an interview with Michael where he talks about the issue. Deprecated calls are often supported for many years.

• McDMcD
    edited July 2019

That does it! I’m going 100% Raspberry Pi with Linux. (Just bought a ChromeBook for $170 on Prime Day).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.