Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IPad OS (IOS 13 beta) Music production experience so far. InterApp too much CPU

edited June 2019 in General App Discussion

Hey there guys.hope yall good.
Just installed the update on my iPad Pro 11 inch just to see what it looks like.
I then decided to try and create some music to see what works.
I’m not classifying the following points as bugs since the Os is beta and meant for developers.
This is just to share my experience so far.

AUv3
When I load AUv3 in Cubasis, you can see the name of the Auv3 but no picture on the track and in the instrument selection section.
But once loaded, you can see the Auv3 and do your tweaks, change presets etc.
In Cubasis, I imported midi onto a track and choose Aparillo as synth.
I then choose a preset.if I make any changes to the midi and tap undo, Cubasis would also undo other things, like it would change Aparillos preset.

In BeatMaker 3, when selecting AUv3, you just see the names and no pictures.
Once you tap on “show plugin, the synth will appear as normal.
I also found out that in BM3 if you long tap the undo button, it shows you the latest tweaks you have made and can choose which one to undo.
BM3 looks stable.

InterApp

IAP works like it should.
You can use only one like always 😂
The CPU meter in Cubasis goes high with only one instance off ISEM as IAP and no other tracks

Will test other apps and see how the act.

Comments

• I hope that IAA will stay, too many apps not supporting AUv3 yet and little change in sight.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BM3 is not that stable for me, which is why I don’t really use it anymore. I will do if it ever gets rid of the bugs, but it’s just too much hassle having the app just crash now and then, and for no discernible reason. AUM is rock solid, and Cubasis is pretty solid, too, overall. No idea about Auria Pro because I’ve never used it, simply because it doesn’t see, to have a great reputation among iOS music-makers.

• LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

Hi @Paa89,

Gave the topic a short check on the iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen with iOS 12.3.1.

Here, Aparillo and iSEM both load fine via AU and appear with their app icons in the track list.

In addition, the CPU meter is showing near to no indication when iSEM AU is loaded, showing a tad more usage having loaded iSEM via IAA.

The track list icon shown in your example normally do say "No Instrument".

Which iOS and Cubasis versions do you have installed?

If you're running iOS 13, it might be related to the beta version, which is early stage.
    If this is the case, please add this information to the topic title.

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:
    Hi @Paa89,

Gave the topic a short check on the iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen with iOS 12.3.1.

Here, Aparillo and iSEM both load fine via AU and appear with their app icons in the track list.

In addition, the CPU meter is showing near to no indication when iSEM AU is loaded, showing a tad more usage having loaded iSEM via IAA.

The track list icon shown in your example normally do say "No Instrument".

Which iOS and Cubasis versions do you have installed?

If you're running iOS 13, it might be related to the beta version, which is early stage.
    If this is the case, please add this information to the topic title.

Thank you!

Best,
    Lars

hi there @Lars , you didn’t read the title ??😂😂
    I’m using the new IPad os 13 (beta) on my iPad Pro 11 inch.
    I just did a test in Cubasis to see what works and how.
    Some people where interested to know if InterApp works.
    So I did the test to see.
    This is not to report bugs.
    It was just to share my experience 😂😂

• LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

@Paa89 said:

Hi Paa89,

I did read the title, but it was nevertheless unclear for me that you are using an early beta version.
    Adding "iOS 13 (beta)" would have made it crystal clear for me, and non-misleading too.

But you've mentioned it in the text, so I might better have taken the time to read it more properly.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@Paa89 said:

Hi Paa89,

I did read the title, but it was nevertheless unclear for me that you are using an early beta version.
    Adding "iOS 13 (beta)" would have made it crystal clear for me, and non-misleading too.

But you've mentioned it in the text, so I might better have taken the time to read it more properly.

Best,
    Lars

You are right about the title.
    Will edit it☺️

• @Paa89 said:
    Will edit it☺️

Thank you very much, Paa89, greatly appreciated!

Best,
    Lars

• You're brave man. I wouldn't be installing a beta anything on a device I'm using for production, unless it was a test device. A lot will change between now and September/October I'd imagine...

• Hello! i was waiting for a post like this. Thank you!
    Very interesting.. I see CPU meter is high not only with interappaudio.. it is also very high with AUv3 Aparillo instance . :-(

Really want to try beta too. I hope apple will fix this in the next beta...

• edited June 2019

@LFS said:

@Paa89 said:
    Will edit it☺️

Thank you very much, Paa89, greatly appreciated!

Best,
    Lars

Woow looks like there’s is an improvement with the update.
    I had 2 Quanta tracks, 3 iSEM and 4 AudioLayer tracks,
    The CPU usage on iPad Pro 11 was very low.
    I also had Pumphouse, Dischord 4 , korvpressor and fabfilter Eq on some of the tracks.
    All AUv3.
    Didn’t notice CPU spikes when opening the instruments.
    Looks promising 🙀

@Lars and also, i tried freezing an AudioLayer track.
    With the mixdown options off, everything works great and the other AudioLayer tracks don’t crash (like on iOS 12)

• Just hoping that all those on iOS/iPadOS13 beta really take the opportunity to give Apple a lot of feedback.
    I will jump on iOS/iPadOS13 train the moment it gets released later this fall...

Sure the new way to deal with AUv3 presets will cause some initial stir but at least it will work as it was initially supposed to work without developers having to do custom preset management to be able to share the user presets between hosts.

Since there's been no 'files' related WWDC'19 sessions yet we don't know if apps will be able to included an 'in-line' file browser meaning, no need to use a 'pop-ups' to import files but directly access the files in/from their current location.
    (This could cause some issues when using files from SMB-Servers or External-Drives as a dependency check would have to be done to check if the file is really available at any given moment).

But so far I really do like where iOS/iPadOS13 is heading :)

• @chalice said:
    Hello! i was waiting for a post like this. Thank you!
    Very interesting.. I see CPU meter is high not only with interappaudio.. it is also very high with AUv3 Aparillo instance . :-(

Check this video.
    I had more Auv3 tracks and Inserts.the cup was low.

• @icsleepers said:
    You're brave man. I wouldn't be installing a beta anything on a device I'm using for production, unless it was a test device. A lot will change between now and September/October I'd imagine...

😂😂😂 I like taking risks.
    And plus.all my projects have been transferred to the usb stick just in case 😂😂.
    The new Files app make everything much more easier

• @Samu said:
    Just hoping that all those on iOS/iPadOS13 beta really take the opportunity to give Apple a lot of feedback.
    I will jump on iOS/iPadOS13 train the moment it gets released later this fall...

Sure the new way to deal with AUv3 presets will cause some initial stir but at least it will work as it was initially supposed to work without developers having to do custom preset management to be able to share the user presets between hosts.

Since there's been no 'files' related WWDC'19 sessions yet we don't know if apps will be able to included an 'in-line' file browser meaning, no need to use a 'pop-ups' to import files but directly access the files in/from their current location.
    (This could cause some issues when using files from SMB-Servers or External-Drives as a dependency check would have to be done to check if the file is really available at any given moment).

But so far I really do like where iOS/iPadOS13 is heading :)

Correct me if I’m wrong.
    When you talking about the pop up do you mean for example,
    If I’m in files app and in the Cubasis folder, if I could preview Audio without it opening Cubasis?

• @Samu said:
    Sure the new way to deal with AUv3 presets will cause some initial stir

Do we already know what this new way will be? I haven't seen any details yet, but I'm eager to take a look.

• @Paa89 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.
    If I’m in files app and in the Cubasis folder, if I could preview Audio without it opening Cubasis?

Well, what I mean is 'accessing' all files & folders visible to Files.app without opening Files.app?!
    Think of this as seeing all 'Files.app Files & Folders' content in the Cubasis Media Browser).

I guess 'Preview' of audio files works in Files.app when using the Column view?

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

Do we already know what this new way will be? I haven't seen any details yet, but I'm eager to take a look.

At least there's a session on Apple's WWDC'19 site that will cover this but it's not on-line yet :(
    It will be here...
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/509/

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

At least there's a session on Apple's WWDC'19 site that will cover this but it's not on-line yet :(
    It will be here...

Thanks Samu! :)

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

It will be here...

Thanks Samu! :)

There's at least a few documents on the page to dig into and new sample code to download :)

• Wow really nice! Thanks!

@Paa89 said:

@chalice said:

Check this video.
    I had more Auv3 tracks and Inserts.the cup was low.

• edited June 2019

@chalice said:

So I Did a new test with Aparillo.
    There is an issue.
    If I open the Auv3, the CPU meter goes very low.but if I close the AUv3, CPU goes high.
    Really strange because it’s supposed to be the other way around 😂😂

Here is the video test.i had 2 and then added one more.

• @Samu said:

@Paa89 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong.

Well, what I mean is 'accessing' all files & folders visible to Files.app without opening Files.app?!
    Think of this as seeing all 'Files.app Files & Folders' content in the Cubasis Media Browser).

Ok in understand now.that would be great.
    Unfortunately audio preview only works like the old way. you tap on the audio file and the audio player would open.

Would be nice if the add a preview play button on audio files just like on Mac OS.

• @Samu said:

No, it doesn't. You still have to tap it and get a full-screen preview. I shall report this as a bug.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:

No, it doesn't. You still have to tap it and get a full-screen preview. I shall report this as a bug.

Goodie!

One curious thing about the 'force touch' on iPhone 8 is that it is possible to preview audio files with force-touch but if the source app has 'open in place' enabled for the files in it's Documents folder the file will also be launched...

App folders with no 'open in place' enabled preview just fine using force-touch.

A 'quick look like' feature for media-files in Files.app (also in slide over mode) and in the Document Picker could be super handy!

If we look at the macOS Finders Preview column it's possible to 'trim' audio files if needed which would be awesome on iOS as well :)

• Haha. That’s weird!

@Paa89 said:

@chalice said:

So I Did a new test with Aparillo.
    There is an issue.
    If I open the Auv3, the CPU meter goes very low.but if I close the AUv3, CPU goes high.
    Really strange because it’s supposed to be the other way around 😂😂

Here is the video test.i has 2 and then added one more.

• edited June 2019

@Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:

Goodie!

One curious thing about the 'force touch' on iPhone 8 is that it is possible to preview audio files with force-touch but if the source app has 'open in place' enabled for the files in it's Documents folder the file will also be launched...

App folders with no 'open in place' enabled preview just fine using force-touch.

A 'quick look like' feature for media-files in Files.app (also in slide over mode) and in the Document Picker could be super handy!

If we look at the macOS Finders Preview column it's possible to 'trim' audio files if needed which would be awesome on iOS as well :)

I just checked and you can view the complete Files APP browser in GarageBand band like you would on pc, but only to choose GarageBand projects.
    You also have Quick look (preview) option when files app pops up.
    Long tap the samples and it appears, but nothing happens when you tap on quick look.
    Maybe because it’s the first beta.lets hope they make it work.

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

It will be here...

The video is up now. Nothing too exciting, but it looks easy enough to implement and will provide user presets available across different hosts.

• @bleep said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

It will be here...

The video is up now. Nothing too exciting, but it looks easy enough to implement and will provide user presets available across different hosts.

It seems that presets are stored in an array, why not some other data structure that would allow for presets stored in banks or categories?

• I plugged my Octatrack in, using a USB cable and Lightning adapter. Check it out:

I can copy audio and folders back and forth.