Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Glitches when recording synths through Audiobus 3 into Auria Pro

I tried to record different synths yesterday into a track in Auria Pro (ex: Roli Noise, Thor, Reason Compact) using an Audiobus setup. I played them directly with internal keyboards or roli seaboard and each time I got some glitches, like a stuttering due to no audio input randomly happening for a few milliseconds. Those stutters never occured during recording time. Has it happened to someone else before? If so, what is the fix to this? Thanks.

Comments

• @Norbert said:
    I tried to record different synths yesterday into a track in Auria Pro (ex: Roli Noise, Thor, Reason Compact) using an Audiobus setup. I played them directly with internal keyboards or roli seaboard and each time I got some glitches, like a stuttering due to no audio input randomly happening for a few milliseconds. Those stutters never occured during recording time. Has it happened to someone else before? If so, what is the fix to this? Thanks.

Have you tried running them directly as IAA or are they not visible to Auria Pro?

Are you using the latest Auria Pro?

What hardware and OS are you running?

• I am running the latest version of Auria Pro on an iPad pro 12.9 2018. The apps are running as IAA in audiobus but I get these crazy glitches. I have no idea where it comes from. Maybe some sample rate issue. I have to look into it, super annoying.

• You can see here how it cuts the sound.

• Another one here:

• It clearly breaks the sound randomly but I have no idea where it comes from.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

What is your latency setting in Audiobus? Do you hear clicks when it happens? And, is there a reason for hosting the synth in Audiobus rather than directly in Auria Pro?

• edited June 2019

I am hosting in audiobus cause Auria cannot record every MPE dimensions in midi. So I have to record in audio. My latency is 512 at the moment. I was on 256 but I tried to put it higher. To no avail...

When it happens, in replay, cause during recording nothing wrong happens, I hear stutters.

• OK. If I have some time later today, I’ll try some tests. What synth are you recording?

• edited June 2019

Is there a way to record directly into Auria using buses from its own midi tracks?

So I tried with Roli Noise, Moog model 15 and Thor and each time I get those stutters, thanks.

• Sorry, I don’t understand that question.

• edited June 2019

I mean, from its own midi track, is it possible to route it to an audio track in Auria Pro without using an external routing app like Audiobus or AUM?

• @Norbert said:
    I mean, from its own midi track, is it possible to route it to an audio track in Auria Pro without using an external routing app like Audiobus or AUM?

Yes. If you don’t need to capture the MIDI itself, create the tracks as audio tracks. Add the synth you want to record as an Insert in the track’s FX setup window. It will then record the audio from the synth as an audio track.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

“...from its own midi track, is it possible to route it to an audio track...”
    What “it” are we talking about here? Or maybe I’m just being thick.

What I think you may be asking is whether you can bounce the audio from an app playing on a midi track to an audio track. If so, then the answer is yes. Solo the track and choose mixdown from the menu. In the options, select “import as a new track”. I think you may also be able to freeze the track, then copy/paste the audio clip to a new track. I forget if you can do it that way or not...

• @espiegel123 said:

@Norbert said:

Yes. If you don’t need to capture the MIDI itself, create the tracks as audio tracks. Add the synth you want to record as an Insert in the track’s FX setup window. It will then record the audio from the synth as an audio track.

Thanks for the trick but I can't manage to get it to work. That would have been brilliant if it did.

• @Norbert said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Norbert said:

Thanks for the trick but I can't manage to get it to work. That would have been brilliant if it did.

In what way doesn't it work?

• @wim said:
    “...from its own midi track, is it possible to route it to an audio track...”
    What “it” are we talking about here? Or maybe I’m just being thick.

What I think you may be asking is whether you can bounce the audio from an app playing on a midi track to an audio track. If so, then the answer is yes. Solo the track and choose mixdown from the menu. In the options, select “import as a new track”. I think you may also be able to freeze the track, then copy/paste the audio clip to a new track. I forget if you can do it that way or not...

You can freeze a track then import the audio created by the freeze.

• wimwim
    edited June 2019

@Norbert
    Sorry man, I kinda give up trying to help unless you provide more than one sentence of detail each time. If you care to describe in detail what you’re trying to do and how you’ve tried to do it I’ll take another shot.

• @wim said:
    @Norbert
    Sorry man, I kinda give up trying to help unless you provide more than one sentence of detail each time. If you care to describe in detail what you’re trying to do and how you’ve tried to do it I’ll take another shot.

Ok, open Audiobus 3, in AUDIO, set in audio input any of those synths: Thor, Model 15 or Roli Noise. Then in the output, load Auria Pro. You should have an audio track set up for you in your project directly connected to the Audiobus track. Set up the sample rate at 512 and then launch 'Record' in Audiobus. Play some notes to be recorded in Auria and let me know if you find some stutters when you playback the track in Auria. Thanks.

• Ok don't bother people. I just found out Cubasis 2.7 records MPE MIDI natively.

• Great. Glad you got it sorted!

I’ll probably still see if I can replicate the issue for reporting to the developer.

• edited June 2019

@Norbert
    I’m absolutely sure that the guys here are trying to help, but you need to provide detailed information in order to try to replicate the issue, otherwise it’s just a guess and sometimes for non native English speakers (like me) very difficult to understand.

I just tried what you explained and I get no glitches at all in Auria Pro v2.23, using Audiobus v3.4.1. Just tested Noise and Model 15 (both as AUv3) and Thor (IAA only) hosted in Audiobus and everything works fine, the audio is perfectly recorded.
    I’m using an iPad Air 2 with IOS 12.3.1.

What @espiegel123 is suggesting is probably the best way to record the audio directly into Auria Pro, without using Audiobus. The only downside of this approach is that you won’t have access to the Noise internal keyboard (although there’s a workaround for this if you use a MIDI track instead), but the other apps you mention will work fine.
    I don’t understand what did not work for you, but it should work if you follow these simple steps:

-add an audio track
    -tap on FX to open the channel strip
    -tap on one of the 4 inserts and load the app you want, Model15 as AUv3 as an example (listed in green)
    -arm the track
    -play using the internal Moog keyboards or the Auria Pro keyboard and verify levels
    -record

Hope this helps.

• @Norbert : if your iPad uses a different sample rate when headphones are plugged in, see if behavior is different when headphones are plugged in or not

• edited June 2019

@Norbert said:

You can see here how it cuts the sound.

That looks a lot like the audio glitch I was getting in BM3.

I've still got a pic somewhere of the waveform.

Where it squares off...

• edited June 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @Norbert : if your iPad uses a different sample rate when headphones are plugged in, see if behavior is different when headphones are plugged in or not

Ok thanks I will try that later. Cause my ipad was plugged to the PC with usb to audio. Might be the problem.

I would like to know if it happens to anyone else before the 2 years warranty wears off though, so I can return the ipad and get a new one, in case it's only mine which does this.

• @Norbert said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Norbert : if your iPad uses a different sample rate when headphones are plugged in, see if behavior is different when headphones are plugged in or not

Ok thanks I will try that later. Cause my ipad was plugged to the PC with usb to audio. Might be the problem.

I would like to know if it happens to anyone else before the 2 years warranty wears off though, so I can return the ipad and get a new one, in case it's only mine which does this.

This pc/iPad routing seems like a potentially significant/relevant detail. To debug, please first test standalone and not connected to your PC to make sure the issue is not related to that PC/iPad routing.