Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Biggest Audio News from Today's Apple Event: IAA is deprecated in iPadOS & iOS 13!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@White said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@MobileMusic said:
    This is a good move and will push devs to update their apps.

How many of us would like to have Animoog and SoundCanvas as AUs?

Aren't we enjoying GeoShred, iFretless Bass, Sunrizer, etc. as AUs already?

It is a bold step and had to happen someday.

I thought about this kind of stuff yesterday. About Animoog as au. Would it still be able to use its own keyboard and record the expressive touchscreen keyboard midi in to timeline? Seems like most apps that have expressive keyboards (synthscaper, tardigrain etc), dont have midi record functionally when in au hosts...you have to use the host keyboard. Is that something that devs can make work?

But yeah, goodbye full versions of synth scaper, ppg Infinite etc.. the au versions of those apps aren’t same as the IAA versions. This isn’t good news, unless all the IAA devs are going to make full au, which I very much doubt considering how much work it appears to be and the fact that most devs admittedly do iOS as part-time/hobby...

Yes Animoog could use it’s own keyboard as an AU. Model 15 has it’s own keyboard as an AU, the Roli Noise app too:

Does the model 15 keyboard record when in AU host? I always found AU keyboards like this didn’t record midi in Beatmaker 3 when I tried, though I can’t remember trying Model 15 like this.

But that’s cool if Model 15 is all good and a working example that indicates this is just a matter of other devs needing to add the functionality.

Yes Model 15 AU has midi out, so you can play the Model 15 keyboard and send the midi to another synth. Example to Volt.

• edited June 2019

Deprecating IAA sound good to me it means new and more AUV3 developments and it will even help to get some old IAA converted to AUV3.
    Anyway old IAA still work so no worry.
    My only concerns are the current AUV3 limitations (file size, audio midi and audio flows )

• Losing the ability to use the most innovative apps like borders, tc, patterning, samplr etc together...
    but we get to use a mouse o_0

• I use less and less apps as time goes where IAA/AB (or even AUv3) aren’t a must (GTL, BlocsWave, GarageBand, Chord Tracker, Pensato, Chords, Djay, Stagelight... on the iPad I have more AUfx but I don’t use them neither since I don’t mix on it being GarageBand just a middle step into mac like Blocs for Ableton...).
    I have bought some hardware like the trio+ and considering time to time buying whatever I truly need instead get nuts with modular AUM/AB approach...
    I suggested @jmarshallgtl to make GTL AUv3 for AUM/AB3 users so I also believe Loopy/samplebot into AB3 (or AU for any host) could be a great LMp alternative...

Also the GarageBand Live Loops approach (quantized launch) but with midi learn support (GarageBand relies just on touchscreen making it useless for musicians playing along) could be an Ableton/Mainstage substitute on iOS/iPadOS.

I will update my mini4 due new features like screen mirroring (ideal for my mac mini/iPad setup?) but also be happy with my 5s and universal apps like GTL or dedicated versions like I pointed before. Not missing any killerapp just focusing on making more music as nowadays.

• This one sounds interesting...

A new method is available for an AVAudioEngine-based app to retrieve a list of all nodes attached to an AVAudioEngine instance.

It would be a game-changer if it enabled 'soudflower type' functionality allowing us to record the output from any app running on the device :)

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    I will update my mini4 due new features like screen mirroring (ideal for my mac mini/iPad setup?)

Yeah I've been thinking of this - I wonder if it will be possible to use an iPad as the only screen for a Mac Mini. That would be an awesome set up for live use - especially as the Sidecar screen mirroring looks to be wireless as well as wired :smile:

• @Samu said:
    This one sounds interesting...

A new method is available for an AVAudioEngine-based app to retrieve a list of all nodes attached to an AVAudioEngine instance.

It would be a game-changer if it enabled 'soudflower type' functionality allowing us to record the output from any app running on the device :)

It would be great to add compression to podcasts.

• @cyberheater said:

@Samu said:
    This one sounds interesting...

It would be great to add compression to podcasts.

Sorry guys, but that's never gonna happen 😊

• @Michael said:

Bummer, then why aren't Apple doing what they can to 'block' that kind of functionality on the desktop?!
    But admit it would be awesome to have that option on iOS!

• No more sending an AU hosts output to another app then, unless they allow an AU host to be hosted.

• edited June 2019

Deprecated doesn't mean 'removed and instantly stops working'.
    Look at OpenGL on iOS it was deprecated some time ago and apps still work just fine.

No WWDC'19 Audio Sessions have been held yet so there's very little details available...

• @Samu said:

@Michael said:

Bummer, then why aren't Apple doing what they can to 'block' that kind of functionality on the desktop?!
    But admit it would be awesome to have that option on iOS!

I guess because the desktop is a more open environment still... iOS has always been a walled garden.

@AndyPlankton said:
    No more sending an AU hosts output to another app then, unless they allow an AU host to be hosted.

Yup. That's where I may step in, if the time comes and there's demand for that still.

• @ricksteruk said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    I will update my mini4 due new features like screen mirroring (ideal for my mac mini/iPad setup?)

Yeah I've been thinking of this - I wonder if it will be possible to use an iPad as the only screen for a Mac Mini. That would be an awesome set up for live use - especially as the Sidecar screen mirroring looks to be wireless as well as wired :smile:

The same idea and could make me keep the mini4 and the mac mini instead sold them and get an macbook gluedcomponents air...

in fact I keep using macOS for GarageBand mainly but I'm cutting all my dependencies every single day goes...

• Right now it's apparently not so easy to implement AUv3, so if it remains difficult, would we see fewer new apps, or devs continuing to use IAA despite the deprecation?

It could be a long enough transition period where most users and devs can adjust without much pain. If Apple is now explicitly supporting AUv3, that suggests they're going to make it more attractive to developers, and those devs avoiding it now will have much less reason to resist. Some abandoned apps will eventually not work on the latest OS, but that's always a price in seeking progress.

• edited June 2019

It will be interesting to see how many iaa apps will get upgraded to Auv3 ..
    and which one will not..

Personally, i will stay away from buying IAA till all this is cleared out..

Also hope apple adds an option to run AUv3 in full screen... windowed mode often is to small even on my 12’9” pro

• In case of some synth apps I still use IAA over AUv3 like for all the Virsyn or Synthmaster one.
    NAVE also I fear will not be ported to audio unit.

• +1

@Paa89 said:
    I know this might sound harsh.
    Unfortunately technology likes to move forward.
    We all had/ having fun with IAA.
    We all know apps need to be updated once a major Os is released.
    What I’m trying to say is this, without offending or disrespecting anyone.
    If a developer doesn’t want to keep up with progress, they shouldn’t start.
    If Apple makes things a little bit easier with this update for developers to implement AUv3, why Not do it ?

• @bresk said:
    In case of some synth apps I still use IAA over AUv3 like for all the Virsyn or Synthmaster one.
    NAVE also I fear will not be ported to audio unit.

Nave, now that would be a loss i guess
    Unless Waldorf Comes out with a Nave2 app, thats improved and supports AUv3 on top..
    Maybe they will even port some stuff from the Quantum into this...

Would it be acceptable to sell an improved AUv3 version of an App as a totally new app?

• @Samu said:
    Deprecated doesn't mean 'removed and instantly stops working'.
    Look at OpenGL on iOS it was deprecated some time ago and apps still work just fine.

No WWDC'19 Audio Sessions have been held yet so there's very little details available...

@Samu

• Kauldron... Magellan... still, Follow the leader @Michael is not sweating it, so why should we?
    Just don't update, no? We always object to change. A big fuss when Michael updated the forum. Now who gives it a second thought. Bring back the carburetor! And BetaMax... and VHS! Carpe whatever... use those IAAs today to make some music! I hear iOS 13 will be impervious to EMP. Who could ask for anything more!?

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@ricksteruk said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

The same idea and could make me keep the mini4 and the mac mini instead sold them and get an macbook gluedcomponents air...

in fact I keep using macOS for GarageBand mainly but I'm cutting all my dependencies every single day goes...

Switched to Windows and I'm happy with the change. Apple computers became way too expensive. But if we are talking touch devices iPads and iPhones are still the way to go especially when looking at the cool apps available for iOS,

• edited June 2019

@greengrocer said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@ricksteruk said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

Switched to Windows and I'm happy with the change. Apple computers became way too expensive. But if we are talking touch devices iPads and iPhones are still the way to go especially when looking at the cool apps available for iOS,

Apple devices might be expensive, but my 2011 macbook is still doing okay as a mainstage host.. with some AU units that are quite power consuming like Omnisphere.. but then i never run more then a few sounds at a time..

But 8 years on a €2400 macbook, thats not really expensive... i spend moe a year on ipads and apps

• @Michael Deadbeat dev jokes aside, what are plans for Loopy and Samplebot?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael Deadbeat dev jokes aside, what are plans for Loopy and Samplebot?

Lots, for both. I’m working on Loopy Pro again now, now that Audiobus is in a state I'm happier with. Both it and Samplebot share the same codebase so I'm effectively working on both. I don’t have any more info to share right now...but Things are afoot.

• Not holding my breath for Korg and others to see the Auv3 light, but thankfully we have some beautiful alternatives now.

• @Michael said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @Michael Deadbeat dev jokes aside, what are plans for Loopy and Samplebot?

Lots, for both. I’m working on Loopy Pro again now, now that Audiobus is in a state I'm happier with. Both it and Samplebot share the same codebase so I'm effectively working on both. I don’t have any more info to share right now...but Things are afoot.

Glad to hear it!