Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Biggest Audio News from Today's Apple Event: IAA is deprecated in iPadOS & iOS 13!

Comments

• Glad to hear! But quick! Everyone start sampling all the IAA apps

• @mjcouche said:
    Darn it. Animoog, Guitarism @Rhism , NeoSoul Keys, FingerFiddle, @LuisMartinez, @PositiveGrid BIAS

One of these is already AU ;)

• edited June 2019

Senode.
    Animoog.
    Audio kit.
    Audiobus.
    Reason compact.
    Xynthesizer.
    Groovebox.
    Gadget.

All these and so many more..will not be iaa and able to log into ab and AUM soon... That's sad, cuz I really like these guys but I need to be able to host them to use em

• @reasOne said:
    Senode.
    Animoog.
    Audio kit.
    Audiobus.
    Reason compact.
    Xynthesizer.
    Groovebox.
    Gadget.

All these and so many more..will not be iaa and able to log into ab and AUM soon... That's sad, cuz I really like these guys but I need to be able to host them to use em

IAA has not been removed from the iOS 13. That is not what deprecated means.

• Panic not peeps, deprecation is generally just an indication that devs should not go down that path going forward. I’d wager IAAs will continue to work for a long time yet.

I base this on my confirmed position as a completely clueless joe though.

Should it not be the case I may well deprecate my future purchases of iOS hardware.

• ‘In computer programming, a deprecated language entity is one that is tolerated or supported but not recommended. For example, a number of elements and attributes are deprecated in HTML 4.0 , meaning that other means of accomplishing the task are preferred.’

https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/deprecated

• I know this might sound harsh.
    Unfortunately technology likes to move forward.
    We all had/ having fun with IAA.
    We all know apps need to be updated once a major Os is released.
    What I’m trying to say is this, without offending or disrespecting anyone.
    If a developer doesn’t want to keep up with progress, they shouldn’t start.
    If Apple makes things a little bit easier with this update for developers to implement AUv3, why Not do it ?

• @Carnbot said:
    Oh shit...I didn't think it would happen this quick. But it was obviously going to happen eventually.
    That means Korg et al will have to do AU conversions or they will lose revenue.

Was just frustratedly fiddling with iM1 this very evening :) There will certainly be older (by then) iPads kept in service I'd imagine...

• @DCJ said:

@mjcouche said:
    Darn it. Animoog, Guitarism @Rhism , NeoSoul Keys, FingerFiddle, @LuisMartinez, @PositiveGrid BIAS

One of these is already AU ;)

I was looking at my iPhone, and when I went to the iPad I saw Neo Soul was AU

• Shoots, looks like I’m gonna be keeping a few older apps on our iPad mini retina 1st gen. Samplr, Nave, im1 and iwavestation will be the only things on it :)

• Welp. I guess that’s another iPad I’ll have to keep frozen in time like I did with my Air 2 in order to keep my 32 bit apps running. I have over 100 apps that rely on IAA that I’m not about to leave in the dust.

I guess the silver lining is that’ll it’ll spark some needed motivation for some of the bigger developers to update to AU. Shame though that we’ll be losing some more older gems that have been abandoned for a while :(

• Fret not, this is a very positive step. IAA won't be going away any time soon, but it'll be a nice kick up the jacksie for those developers who don't support AUv3 yet (yeah, Michael Tyson of Loopy/Samplebot, hear that?).

• @Michael said:
    Fret not, this is a very positive step. IAA won't be going away any time soon, but it'll be a nice kick up the jacksie for those developers who don't support AUv3 yet (yeah, Michael Tyson of Loopy/Samplebot, hear that?).

:)

• @Michael said:
    Fret not, this is a very positive step. IAA won't be going away any time soon, but it'll be a nice kick up the jacksie for those developers who don't support AUv3 yet (yeah, Michael Tyson of Loopy/Samplebot, hear that?).

That dude is a deadbeat dev!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Michael said:

That dude is a deadbeat dev!

Sure is! Money grabbing slacker

• So how would this work?
    Is it that apps would be like Zeeon: AUv3 Compatible, yet you can open the standalone but it connects to nothing?
    Or like Enso: Does not have a standalone component, only AUv3?
    I ask because there are a few apps that work really well in standalone IAA. I'm talking about the likes of Patterning and Xynthesizr. They would be nice as AUs but the fun and character come from using them in standalone IMO.
    So, again, how would this work?

• With that said, finally Korg can get their shit together and give me the iMonoPoly in AUv3.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    Shoots, looks like I’m gonna be keeping a few older apps on our iPad mini retina 1st gen. Samplr, Nave, im1 and iwavestation will be the only things on it :)

iPad mini 1st gen wasn't retina :neutral:
    I still have one.

• @ph8aerror said:
    So how would this work?
    Is it that apps would be like Zeeon: AUv3 Compatible, yet you can open the standalone but it connects to nothing?
    Or like Enso: Does not have a standalone component, only AUv3?
    I ask because there are a few apps that work really well in standalone IAA. I'm talking about the likes of Patterning and Xynthesizr. They would be nice as AUs but the fun and character come from using them in standalone IMO.
    So, again, how would this work?

Use an audio interface with standalone apps to route MIDI as @Carnbot suggested

• @MobileMusic said:

@Gaia.Tree said:
    Shoots, looks like I’m gonna be keeping a few older apps on our iPad mini retina 1st gen. Samplr, Nave, im1 and iwavestation will be the only things on it :)

iPad mini 1st gen wasn't retina :neutral:
    I still have one.

You are right! it was a hand me down and doesnt get handled much lately, so i got them mixed up. its indeed a gen 1 ipad mini. and now mostly just a guaranteed Samplr device. hope my lightning mic will work with it!

• Progress can be tough. I wouldn’t assume that this is going to give certain devs a kick up the jacksie, it could equally mean we lose some big players over the next couple of years, as they weigh the viability/effort involved.

• @Beathoven said:
    Progress can be tough. I wouldn’t assume that this is going to give certain devs a kick up the jacksie, it could equally mean we lose some big players over the next couple of years, as they weigh the viability/effort involved.

True. When we're getting close to the time Apple decide to turn it off, assuming that ever arrives, I’ll do some polling and see if it’s worth putting time into building my own protocol again so those apps can remain on the bus.

• edited June 2019

Great news about deprecating IAA !

Hope it will wake up some sleeping developers and force them to add AUv3 support... and hope that Apple will really remove it at least in iOS14...

It's called progress.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • From apples stabdpoint, I think IAA was a patch job before getting AUv3 up. Others may disagree but I don’t think IAA conveys a smooth experience for music making and relying on AudioBus or AUM to make it work isn’t great for the apple user experience. Some things will have to change design wise but ultimately it’s better that we move to a more efficient standard.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If I recall correctly OpenGL is also ‘deprecated’ in both macOS and iOS...

macOS 10.15 will drop 32-bit support completely and remove support for old quick-time codecs and well, carbon will be history too...

So for example the future of Renoise on macOS is questionable. Even though it is 64-bit it still relies on some old libraries.

But hey, this will make it easier to wipe out old unsupported apps :D

• @EyeOhEss said:

@MobileMusic said:
    This is a good move and will push devs to update their apps.

How many of us would like to have Animoog and SoundCanvas as AUs?

Aren't we enjoying GeoShred, iFretless Bass, Sunrizer, etc. as AUs already?

It is a bold step and had to happen someday.

I thought about this kind of stuff yesterday. About Animoog as au. Would it still be able to use its own keyboard and record the expressive touchscreen keyboard midi in to timeline? Seems like most apps that have expressive keyboards (synthscaper, tardigrain etc), dont have midi record functionally when in au hosts...you have to use the host keyboard. Is that something that devs can make work?

But yeah, goodbye full versions of synth scaper, ppg Infinite etc.. the au versions of those apps aren’t same as the IAA versions. This isn’t good news, unless all the IAA devs are going to make full au, which I very much doubt considering how much work it appears to be and the fact that most devs admittedly do iOS as part-time/hobby...

Yes Animoog could use it’s own keyboard as an AU. Model 15 has it’s own keyboard as an AU, the Roli Noise app too:

• System-wide AU preset handling. They (half) promised it in iOS9, now it’s finally coming. If done right that could be a real time-saver for developers.

• @chocobitz825 said:
    From apples stabdpoint, I think IAA was a patch job before getting AUv3 up. Others may disagree but I don’t think IAA conveys a smooth experience for music making and relying on AudioBus or AUM to make it work isn’t great for the apple user experience. Some things will have to change design wise but ultimately it’s better that we move to a more efficient standard.

Yeah. I disagree that IAA is necessarily a worse user experience at this point in time. With AB3, Loopy and Loopy HD, I have a great realtime stable loopdeck that can handle 24 loops on an iPad 6th Gen. the way AUv3 works that isn't possible with an AU only setup. A seamless setup with minimal fuss.