Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Magic deatheye DDMF compressor

Comments

• It looks cool, but does it SOUND great? That's the $25 question. ;)

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It looks cool, but does it SOUND great? That's the $25 question. ;)

Agreed. I’ve also Never heard of a magic death eye comp. Is anyone familiar with its characteristics and/or what famous compressor it’s closest to?

• Google Search Summary:

Magic Death Eye Compressors are hand made by an audio engineer at Capital Records that winds the transformers in his garage. He sells a few a year and I save a pair of mono's re-sold for $7,000. So, for mastering engineers it's a holy grail type of scarce product.

A German PhD programmer at DDMF worked with the hardware audio engineer from California and has made a plug-in modeled on the hardware product.

This is a big deal for people that want to master like the top audio pros for $25. The fact that it's even on IOS (on the iPhone too) is pretty cool.

NOTE: DDMF Apps use a GUI that is based on a photographic image of the hardware with functions knobs. Some people hate that. What's important to know is that the programmer can model atoms and electrons with his skills. Modeling audio hardware is his passion. We get the sound quality of the great hardware for
    a few dollars (in places that accept it).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    It looks cool, but does it SOUND great? That's the $25 question. ;)

Agreed. I’ve also Never heard of a magic death eye comp. Is anyone familiar with its characteristics and/or what famous compressor it’s closest to?

As @McD said, the plugin is based on the hardware version of the MagicDeathEye compressor.

http://magicdeatheye.com

Yep, I took the plunge and can hear with my own ears why this is a $25 app. I don't think I've ever used a glue compressor more transparent nor pleasing to the ears. I'll explain it more in the other thread about this compressor. :) Cheers mate.

• I think I'll recommend we boycott the other thread and hit ignore on anyone working both threads.
    The forum needs more controversy, IMO.

I'll hold off on ignoring @jwmmakerofmusic with a question that needs answering.

How does it compare to same developer's NYCompressor which follows the bi-coastal arguments pop culture is prone to working? His thing is making plug-ins of the most desired studio hardware so this one fits perfectly for that mandate.

Please reply to this thread and drive the competing thread into the noise with ignores. It's OK to read it.

• @McD said:
    I think I'll recommend we boycott the other thread and hit ignore on anyone working both threads.
    The forum needs more controversy, IMO.

I'll hold off on ignoring @jwmmakerofmusic with a question that needs answering.

How does it compare to same developer's NYCompressor which follows the bi-coastal arguments pop culture is prone to working? His thing is making plug-ins of the most desired studio hardware so this one fits perfectly for that mandate.

Please reply to this thread and drive the competing thread into the noise with ignores. It's OK to read it.

Lol. :lol: I've tried out DDMF's NY Compressor before, and while I consider it a decent compressor for standard usage, I prefer using Pro-C/Pro-MB when in Auria and NS2's internal compressor when in NS2. If Gadget had AUFX compatibility, I'd use the NY Compressor in that since Gadget's internal compressor is pants.

MagicDeathEye is basically a Variable MU compressor ala the Fairchild 660 and can glue your audio together musically and transparently without it sounding awful no matter how hard you slam down the threshold. It sounds more pleasing to the ear than using a standard compressor on a buss. I just reworked the mix of the current track I'm crafting in Nanostudio 2 replacing the internal compressors with MDE, and it flows smoother and doesn't sap up too much CPU.

• I can consume the whole day just reading about classic compressors (tube, FET, "tin-can and string").
    What I love about IOS is the ability to buy every type and experiment with seeing what they sound like.

This thread is probably my favorite thread and definitely keeps that other thread on it's toes for value.
    But like every great thread something new will ship and it will roll away.

• This app includes "hand wound" transformers. Insta-buy, right?

• @McD said:
    This app includes "hand wound" transformers. Insta-buy, right?

They are very, very tiny. And slim.

• edited June 2019

What are the other DDMF plugins priced at individually? I got all but one in a bundle over a year ago and somehow it miscalculated the total, barely charging me $3 or $4 bucks a pop. I always use touch ID to quickly pay w/o verifying the confirmation popup, but I still feel like I should buy this at full price (instead of usually waiting for sales) just to make up for it. They’re definitely up there with some of the best plugins on iOS.

• edited June 2019

@ZenEagle said:
    What are the other DDMF plugins priced at individually? I got all but one in a bundle over a year ago and somehow it miscalculated the total, barely charging me $3 or $4 bucks a pop. I always use touch ID to quickly pay w/o verifying the confirmation popup, but I still feel like I should buy this at full price just to make up for it. [...]

Good man, I am glad to accept a gift code for mde compressor if you feel the need to buy something else from DDMF ;)

• I honestly have not bought any ddmf plugins. This one says nothing about MIDI control and I’m also hesitant with so few controls. [Coming from AUFX:push which has controls for tweaking everything. ]

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

@johnfromberkeley said:

@McD said:
    This app includes "hand wound" transformers. Insta-buy, right?

They are very, very tiny. And slim.

#1 reason I use IOS devices: Size and thickness. I probably carry over a dozen Rack Units of audio hardware in my pocket on an iPhone and double that on my iPad. 1 Rack Unit is 1.75 inches: is there a metric standard too for studio gear? Euro-racks, I think.

So... insta-buy, right? Makes you want to hear this svelt beauty in action, huh? If a picture is worth a thousand words what's a minute of pristine audio worth?
    "These kids... wouldn't recognize pristine audio if it pissed in their shoe."

QUESTION: Did the DDMF Bundle go away? That's was the best purchase I've can recall for value.
    The DDMF (DocDude's Music Factory) guy knows his stuff. On this page it's spelled "DocDued":

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/meet-the-programmers-ddmf-555200

He also has some abstracts related to his programming atomic physics simulations fro 2006 before the "Big Bucks" of plug-ins lured him towards the pulsings of the "music of the spheres":

Evolutionary Algorithms in the Optimization of Dynamic Molecular Alignment

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/1688675

• Might be of any help

• The App is a Stereo implementation tho' right? @jwmmakerofmusic - can you confirm. The iTunes description doesn't bother to mention mono or stereo explicitly.

• @McD said:
    The App is a Stereo implementation tho' right? @jwmmakerofmusic - can you confirm. The iTunes description doesn't bother to mention mono or stereo explicitly.

I'm guessing the app is a stereo implementation as it doesn't turn my signal mono.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@McD said:
    The App is a Stereo implementation tho' right? @jwmmakerofmusic - can you confirm. The iTunes description doesn't bother to mention mono or stereo explicitly.

I'm guessing the app is a stereo implementation as it doesn't turn my signal mono.

So, we get 2 Magic Death Eye Mono Compressors that operate in parallel from one set of controls
    or $12.50 each. I'm tempted to support the developer but I have this $10 rule that keeps my
    total purchasing in check. I haven't really figured out the 5 DDMF apps I own already and I think I prefer my music to remain "unglued". I usually just need an audio before and after sample to push me over the edge.

(Just a few more posts and that other thread will roll away).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@McD said:

Nice

• Visual appearance triggered Zappa's ... and the horrible eye (Monster Movies) with me, but the approach got me really interested, in particular the transformer based stuff o:)

• I love this thing.

• So I've had a short play with this, first impressions are that it's pretty clean, you can push it quite hard without any audible distortion coming through. Pretty nice for bus compression.

• Any examples dry loop vs. light processed vs. hard processed ? Ideally on some drumloop...

• @dendy said:
    Any examples dry loop vs. light processed vs. hard processed ? Ideally on some drumloop...

I'll make one today.

It's really clean all the way until you're slamming it and even then still clean. It kind of reminds me of a Dept of Commerce limiter I had.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2019

I suspect that a lot of us who use cheap headphones or earbuds would insert this and think "It's not doing anything to the sound." It sounds like a Mastering tool for people with a good mastering set-up with quality monitors or expensive headphones with a flat response curve. Which indicates it's a really limited market so the $25 price makes a lot of sense.

If you want to learn to master start with "The Mastering Show" Podcast and start by investing in monitors and a room to master in.

For me, "this is not the droid you're looking for."

It also helps me understand all the DDMF apps better and why they don't seem to change the input
    dramatically like a "Tube Screamer" app.

• edited June 2019

Putting one or more compressors on the mixbus are typically meant to remove peaks and/or provide a little bit of “glue” by making all the tracks, summed, move together. Kinda like putting the same reverb on some different tracks to make them feel as if they’re in the same space. Most people aim for 1-3 dB compression at that point.

That said, a tube compressor can also be used on individual tracks. Like vocals, and because it’s slower to react it doesn’t reduce peaki-ness as much as it smoothes out peaks and valleys to make it sound more full (and less dynamic).

Long store short: yes, it can be subtle 😀

• @jwmmakerofmusic @BroCoast does the iOS version have the punch mode when you tap the logo? Dev said it has a more solid bottom end and sounded great but wasn’t true to the original so they kept it as an alternative.

• @gusgranite said:
    @jwmmakerofmusic @BroCoast does the iOS version have the punch mode when you tap the logo? Dev said it has a more solid bottom end and sounded great but wasn’t true to the original so they kept it as an alternative.

When you tap the logo the VU turns red. I guess it goes into that mode, I didn't really listen to what it did.

I actually never thought I'd have a comp as good as this on iOS. It has crashed a lot though...

• edited June 2019

@dendy said:
    Any examples dry loop vs. light processed vs. hard processed ? Ideally on some drumloop...

Here you go:

Dry loop, no compression

Medium compression

Punch mode

Extreme compression

These are the settings used for the medium compression and punch mode (I set the attack switch to slow to let the transients through, and then the Time dial to the 2nd fastest to set a fast release, then used the tiny output gain dial to gain match to the dry signal):

And for the extreme:

• Was having problems with a sound I was working on that was beautiful but absolutely dynamically wild (mostly due to the wonderful and wacky Amazing Noises Glideverb lol) . I didn't yet have a good compressor and decided to take the plunge with this as I had read so many good things about it, and its tubey analogue nature appealed to me. It is WONDERFUL. Very expensive for an iOS app, but it sounds a hell of a lot more expensive than it costs, and so is actually a great bargain.