Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Instinctive - Beta (and a bit of secret Xequence 2 chatter)

edited June 2019 in Creations

This is the track "Beta" which -- true to the name -- has been made during the Xequence 2 Beta, and will be included as an additional demo track.

Composed & Arranged in Xequence 2 / All sounds from Korg Gadget.

Comments

• What? There is a Xequence 2?

• @Norbert said:
    What? There is a Xequence 2?

Yes! Look closely at my profile image :)

• Er kann es einfach!!! Wow this is truly high end production skill. Could be easily running in the clubs of this earth! Weiter so!!!

• @david_2017 said:
    Er kann es einfach!!! Wow this is truly high end production skill. Could be easily running in the clubs of this earth! Weiter so!!!

Well thanks, I do hear the odd track in DJ mixes, but nothing too exciting... the main problem is that since I moved out of Germany, my good old Tannoy 800As are in storage and I don't have a treated room anymore, so both the mixing and mastering are terrible :/

• edited June 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

As it happens, I am receiving my Roli seaboard tomorrow. Can you make xequence record all midi channels from MPE just like Nanostudio 2 does but without the hassle of setting everything ourselves? Instant buy if you do!

• @Norbert said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

As it happens, I am receiving my Roli seaboard tomorrow. Can you make xequence record all midi channels from MPE just like Nanostudio 2 does but without the hassle of setting everything ourselves? Instant buy if you do!

Are you saying that you managed to "abuse" Multitrack Recording to record MPE? (if so, then that has never even occurred to me, but is pure genius if it works!)

• edited June 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

Are you saying that you managed to "abuse" Multitrack Recording to record MPE? (if so, then that has never even occurred to me, but is pure genius if it works!)

It works already in nanostudio 2. You just need to set up different midi tracks, each controlling one aspect of MPE and send them to the track sound as midi outputs.

The awesome feature would be to have a sequencer already setting up all the tracks for you if you choose an MPE.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

Too subtle

So not to get too far ahead of the programming but what will X2 do differently or more of ? Do you have a feature list?

• edited June 2019

@audiblevideo said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

Too subtle

Haha, good one 😂

So not to get too far ahead of the programming but what will X2 do differently or more of ? Do you have a feature list?

Yes I do, but I still want to wait until we're closer to release. What I can say is that while there's a few significant new features, the main focus has been to re-architect many things and make what's already been there yet faster and more efficient.

Hope that's enough info for now ;)

EDIT: Damn, the cat jumped on the keyboard ;)

• @Norbert said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Norbert said:

It works already in nanostudio 2. You just need to set up different midi tracks, each controlling one aspect of MPE and send them to the track sound as midi outputs.

The awesome feature would be to have a sequencer already setting up all the tracks for you if you choose an MPE.

Yes, that could possibly be included as a template project? It's still kind of a hack though, and I'd rather have it done "correctly" and with a good editing interface. Maybe for Xequence 3! :)

• I do hope this time we get a dedicated bpm/time track. It is the one feature lacking for me in Xequence.

• Will it be an 'update' or a 'new app', just asking...

• @Norbert said:
    I do hope this time we get a dedicated bpm/time track. It is the one feature lacking for me in Xequence.

Sorry, no tempo / time signature tracks just yet, BUT due to the architectural changes in Xequence 2, this would now be significantly easier to add so it could appear in an update down the road. For the time (pun!) being though, Xequence 2 offers extremely robust and straightforward time stretching that works on any kind of selection, even entire song sections or the whole song, so that can be used instead in a lot of situations!

@Samu said:
    Will it be an 'update' or a 'new app', just asking...

That's OK :) It will be a new app, because the entire model changes -- there will be no IAPs (everything's included in the package) as that was unfortunately much more hassle ("Crippleware" reviews, lots of compatibility considerations, dealing with all the exceptions...) than it's worth. Also, the app is really improved all-around and at some point there has to be a bit of revenue generated to make continued development possible (sorry to be that blunt 😬). However, there will be a large discount when the app hits the store and existing users will get immediate notice so they can grab it at the reduced price.

• @SevenSystems said:
    That's OK :) It will be a new app, because the entire model changes -- there will be no IAPs (everything's included in the package) as that was unfortunately much more hassle ("Crippleware" reviews, lots of compatibility considerations, dealing with all the exceptions...) than it's worth. Also, the app is really improved all-around and at some point there has to be a bit of revenue generated to make continued development possible (sorry to be that blunt 😬). However, there will be a large discount when the app hits the store and existing users will get immediate notice so they can grab it at the reduced price.

Perfect!

"best of step sequencers and linear composition alike"

Start the hype!

• @SevenSystems

So Xequence 2 is going to be separate from the “Xequence with Au support and audio tracks” daw that you were talking about at one point?
    I know you usually have pretty astute observations regarding how things could be improved on iOS, but I assumed that would still be a ways off...

Perhaps Xequence 2 is serving as the foundation for a more complex program, but has proven to be so amazing already, you I felt implored to share it with us?

Perhaps I should stop guessing, and just say I look forward to any and all future releases.
    Would be happy to help with beta testing if/ when that should occur.

• edited June 2019

@Thardus said:
    @SevenSystems

So Xequence 2 is going to be separate from the “Xequence with Au support and audio tracks” daw that you were talking about at one point?
    I know you usually have pretty astute observations regarding how things could be improved on iOS, but I assumed that would still be a ways off...

In fact, Xequence 2 is basically that DAW, but as you suspected, it will still take a bit longer to finish (realistically, at least 2 or 3 years, if not more). However, during development, a lot of the groundwork and sequencing engine has also been improved significantly, which IMO justified a Xequence update as well. So, Xequence 2 is essentially the DAW, but with all audio-related stuff removed.

Perhaps Xequence 2 is serving as the foundation for a more complex program, but has proven to be so amazing already, you I felt implored to share it with us?

Perhaps not amazing, but very agreeable :) see above :)

Perhaps I should stop guessing, and just say I look forward to any and all future releases.

• I wish that SevenSystems would team up with AUM and make an integration to automatically create MIDI tracks for every new AUM channel + some small touches that would help both apps to work as a single DAW app.
    Both are doing their job perfectly right now, only there are some unnecessary manual tasks you need to do often, that are not needed when working in all-in-one DAW. That would be a match made in heaven :smile:

• The track is nice by the way, except the half opened hit-hat sound on the right, which is off timing a little and very distracting to my rhythmic nazi mind :P

• Awesome track, Alex! As always :wink:

Oh no... Now that i'm getting the hang of Xequence, a v2 will come? :lol

• @Norbert said:
    The track is nice by the way, except the half opened hit-hat sound on the right, which is off timing a little and very distracting to my rhythmic nazi mind :P

Haha. Nazi mind here as well! :D but left Germany a few years ago. (to all Germans reading in: "Nazi" is, outside Germany, a totally normal phrase jokingly describing the stereotypical German "squareness". It has NOTHING to do with Hitler!)

Yes, the hihat feels a bit strange before it gets "completed" by the "stick" a few bars later, especially because of the panning. But this production isn't made to the usual "perfection" standards anyway, it's just been used as a quick -- beta testing environment :)

@senhorlampada said:
    Awesome track, Alex! As always :wink:

;)

Oh no... Now that i'm getting the hang of Xequence, a v2 will come? :lol

Oh, it will leave absolutely every workflow aspect in place, so you'll feel right at home. Just much more homer ;)

• @SevenSystems said:

Oh, it will leave absolutely every workflow aspect in place, so you'll feel right at home. Just much more homer ;)

Ok... You are pardoned from your evil ways! :sunglasses:

• Ok.. not interested in another DAW..

• edited June 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@Thardus said:
    @SevenSystems

In fact, Xequence 2 is basically that DAW, but as you suspected, it will still take a bit longer to finish (realistically, at least 2 or 3 years, if not more). However, during development, a lot of the groundwork and sequencing engine has also been improved significantly, which IMO justified a Xequence update as well. So, Xequence 2 is essentially the DAW, but with all audio-related stuff removed.

Exciting.

Very impressed with Xequence 1 overall. An elegant and powerful app. The one deal breaker for me being the lack of tempo changes, but happy to hear that may be a possibility in the future.

My other wish is that this could have linear and pattern-scene based modes. There are only a few of the latter on iOS and they have some different issues or barriers to the varieties of style, workflow needs, and immediacy (i.e. for live use) (I don't want to go off on an unrelated negative tangent on other apps but they're well known).

• edited June 2019

@Multicellular said:
    Very impressed with Xequence 1 overall. An elegant and powerful app. The one deal breaker for me being the lack of tempo changes, but happy to hear that may be a possibility in the future.

I know that while probably not used in the majority of music, tempo and time signature tracks are necessary for a fully "complete" sequencer. Until these are implemented, I cannot say "The most powerful linear sequencer for mobile devices" in the app description, which I would very much like to do ;) so, you can be sure it's still on my radar.

My other wish is that this could have linear and pattern-scene based modes. There are only a few of the latter on iOS and they have some different issues or barriers to the varieties of style, workflow needs, and immediacy (i.e. for live use) (I don't want to go off on an unrelated negative tangent on other apps but they're well known).

Understood, but this is something that is not likely to be added -- Xequence really is focused on composition and arrangement, and I do want to perfect it for that purpose. So, maybe the other scene-based apps can up their game a bit instead! :)

• edited June 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    Understood, but this is something that is not likely to be added -- Xequence really is focused on composition and arrangement, and I do want to perfect it for that purpose. So, maybe the other scene-based apps can up their game a bit instead! :)

Ha. Fair enough.

What about just multiple definable time 'regions' one could toggle loop on/off?

• @Multicellular said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ha. Fair enough.

It would still need a mechanism to delay the switch until the end of the current "region" (or bar boundary, etc.), right?

• edited June 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ha. Fair enough.

It would still need a mechanism to delay the switch until the end of the current "region" (or bar boundary, etc.), right?

Yes.

I find that very handy even in my essentially linear editing actually. Build the skeleton of the sound out, intro, verse, chorus, etc. Make regions. Quick looping to practice until you are ready to hit record, record. Next region or part.

• @Multicellular said:

@SevenSystems said:

@Multicellular said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ha. Fair enough.

Yes.

I find that very handy even in my essentially linear editing actually. Build the skeleton of the sound out, intro, verse, chorus, etc. Make regions. Quick looping to practice until you are ready to hit record, record. Next region or part.

If you create a number of clips of the desired length, tap one of them and hit "Set Loop To Selection" then you can already do the "quick looping, practice and record" thing.
    Being able to define regions like in Gadget or Reason/desktop that can be switched in sync with beats sounds like a good idea, even for trying out clip orders for song arrangement.
    This would fill the gap between pure pattern-based and purely linear workflow.