Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS 13

So how will IOS 13 influence music production and creation on the ipad?

Will we see better multicore support for music apps?
Which older apps will no longer function?
What new options will profit our musik making?

Comments

• This annual update of IOS has ruined it all, for me.
    After 10 years of app-oholism, I consider myself clean.
    I rarely buy apps now, which is perfectly fine in a way.

I feel the hype and excitement is gone, way back when Gestrument,
    TC 11, Lemur, Audiobus, Novation apps and Auria were stepping in the game...

Every month, something new and exciting was happening back then
    in the world of IOS music.... Oh, how I miss those days !

Everything got so technical all of a sudden with terms like AUV3, AU midi etc...
    I don't feel I need THAT much technic to create music
    and I don't think I have the time to understand every subtelty it implies.

I just feel the fun is gone.
    But maybe that's just me.
    Oh well..

My Ipad mini 1st Gen still works, but it is slow AF
    I use it for midi still and a few other apps.
    I think BlocWaves still makes a great sketchpad for these old devices

My Ipad Air 2 died just a month ago after only 4 years of service
    Ghost fixed screen, Contrast problems suddenly appeared right, after
    I updated to IOS 12 making my device absolutely unusable.

I was offered 100 bucks by Apple to sell them my unit.

If I hadn't bought all these apps,
    I feel I could have given up right now on Ipads...

What's your feeling on the IOS scene, after all these years ?
    I know many of you have been here for ages as well.

• While I agree with the observations above (after all they are a natural matter of fact with any evolution), the conclusion is quite misleading.
    There are tons of great IOS instruments and soundprocessors hardly exploited to their full capabilities... because it seems more convenient to jump the next train (or 'gamechanger').

I did freeze my Air-2 with IOS-9 because there's more old stuff on it than I had time to fully explore yet. And even the iPad One is still on duty with SamplR, iElectribe, Genome, Multitrack DAW etc.

Great developements take more time than a couple of months with some library modules.
    And (really) great ideas don't hit you on a regular schedule either.
    But the whole thing was (is) so affordable, that I consider it one of my best purchases in audio gear... and I have a lot if that stuff. Just use what you have and ignore the marketing blurb ;)

• iOS 12 has given my Air 2 a new lease of life, great improvement over 11. And the last 12 months has provided some amazing apps - to my ears Factory and Aparillo sound just as good on an iPad, with the advantage of touch screen workflow - at a fifth of the price.

I’ve spent a fair deal on hardware and desktop software recently too, but the iPad fits nicely into that - for example my recent discovery of wired IDEM into the Mac.

All those incredible iOS sequencers, triggering my desktop synths (today it was Rozeta creating drum patterns in Live), or recording amazing synths and sample mangers into audio tracks.

4 years on my £399 Air 2 is still ticking along, and when it finally conks out I’ll probably get an Air 3. It’s all good :)

• Very sorry you feel that way @Johnba. My experience is the exact opposite. But being at it a year I may have missed the “glory days” some seem to have experienced. Using an older iPad does decrease the enjoyment, I believe, like having an led Ford vs a Ferrari (or at least a Tesla if it wasn’t headed for a takeover), I also steer clear of the real tech stuff and rather use the tools to produce mostly acoustic emulations with added synths. I don’t understand, tho, why you wouldn’t like AUv3. It only makes iOS life a lot easier. And the last couple of years have seen the ascension of granular and wave table synthesis, no? The major DAWs are being refined and MPE is nosing it’s way in to the game. For methere are a lot of great things happening today that we’re not possible a couple years back.

I wouldn’t try to change your mind, but maybe your iPad is really distorting the picture for you. Wherever the muse takes you, though, I wish you luck. (Btw, i’m Seventy-one in a month... if anyone should be tired it should be me!)

As far as iOS 13 goes, I haven’t a clue but doubt it will change anything for me personally with making music.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Very sorry you feel that way @Johnba. My experience is the exact opposite. But being at it a year I may have missed the “glory days” some seem to have experienced. Using an older iPad does decrease the enjoyment, I believe, like having an led Ford vs a Ferrari (or at least a Tesla if it wasn’t headed for a takeover), I also steer clear of the real tech stuff and rather use the tools to produce mostly acoustic emulations with added synths. I don’t understand, tho, why you wouldn’t like AUv3. It only makes iOS life a lot easier. And the last couple of years have seen the ascension of granular and wave table synthesis, no? The major DAWs are being refined and MPE is nosing it’s way in to the game. For methere are a lot of great things happening today that we’re not possible a couple years back.

I wouldn’t try to change your mind, but maybe your iPad is really distorting the picture for you. Wherever the muse takes you, though, I wish you luck. (Btw, i’m Seventy-one in a month... if anyone should be tired it should be me!)

As far as iOS 13 goes, I haven’t a clue but doubt it will change anything for me personally with making music.

Agree with @Johnba that beginnings lead to especially cool and experimental products, look a an 32bits app as soundythingie. When platforms mature you get more possibilties with the software but at the same time loads of things get more and more specialized and less inituitive and you have to invest more time in learning the apps.

• @mannix... not sure what to think about this. I do know I would prefer to have Fugue Machine over Soundythingy. I assume Fugue was not available when ST was hitting its stride. Just my own preference, of course.

• I'm hoping I can hook up my OP-1 via usb to load presets. And also, that I can choose the sound output device. My USB-C hub has a mic port which often steals the in/output from my proper audio interface.

That, plus a proper Files app like the Finder, with inline previews for audio.

And being able to finally add my own songs to the music app, without needing a Mac/PC and iTunes to do it. FFS.

• @Bachus said:

This is down to the individual devs, not the OS, I believe.

• On Monday we’ll know more but I do feel we’ll see some improvements to file management.
    I would be positively surprised if we get usb mass-storage support via Files.app or even better when hooking up the iOS device to another iOS device or a computer using either usb-c or lightning to usb cable?(It’s already possible to transfer pictures and videos between iOS devices like this so why not files too?).

• The for-progress, anti-progress views always comes up. Apple are not fast enough for me, it’s better than ever but iOS is always in need of big improvements to make it more productive :)

I read that finally they are breaking up iTunes into separate apps.

• Will be interesting to see how many legacy/ older devices will make the jump to iOS 13. They keep quite a few in the update stable for the iOS 12 release.

• edited June 2019

I guess iphone 7 and up. Bit worried air2 won’t make the cut.

• @BiancaNeve said:
    I guess iphone 7 and up. Bit worried air2 won’t make the cut.

That's one of my 'worries' too but I do hope the iPad Air 2 will make it to iOS13 and same goes for my Mid 2013 Mac Book Air hoping it will make it to macOS10.15. Otherwise it will quickly get expensive...

• Air2 made the cut samu...rejoice!

• @sbcfx said:
    Air2 made the cut samu...rejoice!

Do you have any credible source for that as all things point to that not being the case...

• @Samu said:

@sbcfx said:

Do you have any credible source for that as all things point to that not being the case...

I think Air 2 and iPhone 6S are making the cut. That’s word on the street.

• Does that mean iPhone SE too?

• Just read some rumours which said proper font management (well needed) and “the ability to cycle through different versions of the same app”.
    Hmm, I’ll believe it when I see for music apps as that would mean Multi instance standalone IAA :D

• Hasn’t the new law about how Apple has to inform as to the impact of updates come into force here in the UK.

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

@sbcfx said:

That would be great.

• @mistercharlie said:

@Bachus said:

Well, both ways, the app programmers say they don’t offer it because of bad support in the sdk..
    So i guess its apple that first needs to improve multi core support for single apps n their sdk..
    And then the app developers need to make use of it..

Atleast this is what i understood so far..
    So hopefully those improvements come with the sdk of ios13
    Apple is listening to the developers, for sure..
    But big changes like this take time..

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

@sbcfx said:

@Carnbot said:
    Does that mean iPhone SE too?

From wha i understood, even the iphone 6 and the SE are still supported...

• @Bachus said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Bachus said:

Well, both ways, the app programmers say they don’t offer it because of bad support in the sdk..
    So i guess its apple that first needs to improve multi core support for single apps n their sdk..

It is an iOS thing. There is a main audio thread and for audio to work correctly calls need to be a part of that thread or bad things happen.

There are some papers out there that lay this out. I think @Michael wrote one about it.

Until that OS architecture changes, app developers are limited in the multiprocessing they can do.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Bachus said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Bachus said:

It is an iOS thing. There is a main audio thread and for audio to work correctly calls need to be a part of that thread or bad things happen.

There are some papers out there that lay this out. I think @Michael wrote one about it.

Until that OS architecture changes, app developers are limited in the multiprocessing they can do.

So that confirms my statement, first OS and SDK changes before they can make use of all the multicore power..
    I can see how a single threaded audio processing core process really hurts here..

So the glove lays with apple..
    The question is how important they think our music is for ipad sales...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wish I could install my old Alchemy IAP’s on older devices....I just get a cannot find message in app which is a right bummer

• @Johnba said:
    This annual update of IOS has ruined it all, for me.
    After 10 years of app-oholism, I consider myself clean.
    I rarely buy apps now, which is perfectly fine in a way.

I feel the hype and excitement is gone, way back when Gestrument,
    TC 11, Lemur, Audiobus, Novation apps and Auria were stepping in the game...

Every month, something new and exciting was happening back then
    in the world of IOS music.... Oh, how I miss those days !

Everything got so technical all of a sudden with terms like AUV3, AU midi etc...
    I don't feel I need THAT much technic to create music
    and I don't think I have the time to understand every subtelty it implies.

I just feel the fun is gone.
    But maybe that's just me.
    Oh well..

My Ipad mini 1st Gen still works, but it is slow AF
    I use it for midi still and a few other apps.
    I think BlocWaves still makes a great sketchpad for these old devices

My Ipad Air 2 died just a month ago after only 4 years of service
    Ghost fixed screen, Contrast problems suddenly appeared right, after
    I updated to IOS 12 making my device absolutely unusable.

I was offered 100 bucks by Apple to sell them my unit.

If I hadn't bought all these apps,
    I feel I could have given up right now on Ipads...

What's your feeling on the IOS scene, after all these years ?
    I know many of you have been here for ages as well.

I agree with most of what you've said. To me it is mostly the fact that I have all I need. Ios has been and still is a very rich experience for me it's just then I was exploring and creating a bit like a kid in a sweet shop, confused by all the colours and on constant high. Now I'm just make music. Everything in my set up works a vast majority of time and even when stuff goes wrong it's easy and quick to reboot the entire audiobus at a press of a physical button.

For example I've played a gig last night using my ios rig in front of some 150 people and the only issue I had was F***Ing sunshine making it impossible for me to see my Circuit and I could just about make out what's on my pro 10.5's screen. I haven't done a quarter of tricks I was going to do but otherwise the gig went rather well. The ios finally feels solid for me.

Having said that...

I will definitely wait at least 3 months before I even consider pressing the update button.

• edited June 2019

Just a quick bump to say today is the day we start to get some answers. Presumably the WWDC keynote will introduce us to iOS 13.

Info here. https://developer.apple.com/wwdc19/

Live streaming begins in a few hours here https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

• @espiegel123 said:

Not sure there's any OS that supports multicore support on the audio thread. It's probably more that you can't create multiple threads that are a high enough priority that you could guarantee they'd finish in time for audio. The audio thread is high priority, but normal threads are not.

TBH though - the benefits from multicore for audio are often fairly slight. More useful for stuff like GUI/background process stuff/midi handling (maybe). Audio tends to be very linear in a way that makes parallelization hard - and parallelization brings its own overhead that can wipe out most of the savings. One area where maybe you could it would be for polyphony.

• IpadOS sounds very intriguing!! 🤔