Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Wow! Numerical is really getting busy these days! Making all the must haves!

• Been beta testing this one had a lot of fun. It's a different level filter for iOS.

• edited May 2019

Hmm, so it's got an 'envelope follower' but can we also control the attack & release rates or make it 'hold' a level for a set number of ms for glitchy effects and Is there any 'technical' limitation why the LFO's cap at 10Hz?

I'm getting really picky now I know but I promised myself no more new apps until the two new Gadgets drop :)

• @reasOne said:
    Wow! Numerical is really getting busy these days! Making all the must haves!

Yes and Volt is a big deal for MPE peeps

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Been beta testing this one had a lot of fun. It's a different level filter for iOS.

Ooh ya?? Close to fab filter levels?

@audiobussy said:

@reasOne said:
    Wow! Numerical is really getting busy these days! Making all the must haves!

Yes and Volt is a big deal for MPE peeps

I love volt and kb-1

• Looks like another winner!

• It’s a lot of fun! The xy pad can go near full screen too.

• This is great - really good sounds and the automations can be recorded. Well worth the money, as all his apps are.

• W-rite, R-ead and play! For playing and firing your recorded motions only once and add musical interest to the jam. Really like that! Kai‘s on fire these days!!!

• @david_2017 said:
    W-rite, R-ead and play! For playing and firing your recorded motions only once and add musical interest to the jam. Really like that! Kai‘s on fire these days!!!

Definitely. Got most of his apps and buy the new ones without even really checking what it is. I was really pleasantly surprised with this one - a proper gem.

• No notch ?

• Purchased.

• I want to heeear it.

• @Samu said:
    Hmm, so it's got an 'envelope follower' but can we also control the attack & release rates or make it 'hold' a level for a set number of ms for glitchy effects and Is there any 'technical' limitation why the LFO's cap at 10Hz?

I'm getting really picky now I know but I promised myself no more new apps until the two new Gadgets drop :)

If you own Filterstation 2 then I guess you're already set :)

• @rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

I’d say sf-1 is way better than Filterstation. Automation hardly ever works for me in filterstation, but in sf-1 it’s fantastic - and fantastically simple.

• @rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

Yepp, have that one already and it’s got even more filter types to play with but no morphing filter and the UI of it feels a bit uninspiring but I’m slowly building up a list of apps to get but no spontaneous appshopping for now...

• I'd like to her a demo to see how this might fit in my tool box. I suspect Doug will put something upon a video in a day or 2.

• @audio_DT said:

@rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

I’d say sf-1 is way better than Filterstation. Automation hardly ever works for me in filterstation, but in sf-1 it’s fantastic - and fantastically simple.

In case you haven't found it yet... if you hit the settings icon, there's a setting to make the automation a smooth loop. You just turn that on. Works well. :)

• edited May 2019

@skiphunt said:
    It’s a lot of fun! The xy pad can go near full screen too.![]

Sigh... you had to say x/y pad...

OK so anyone get BM3 to record and playback automation?

• edited May 2019

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:
    It’s a lot of fun! The xy pad can go near full screen too.![]

Sigh... you had to say x/y pad...

OK so anyone get BM3 to record and playback automation?

I haven't tried BM3 yet... but it should work fine. The automation is written/read/played right inside the app. I'll give it a spin later and let you know for sure.

Update... yes, the automation from within SF-1 works when in BM3. I just added it as an AudioFX to a recorded track, then automated a loop of motion on the xy pad. Works fine. :)

• The automation does make it pretty pretty.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The automation does make it pretty pretty.

It’s well done and easypeasy. After you’ve recorded your automation, you can also select the “pad engage” button. While the automation is going in read mode, you can play/interact with the xy pad and when you stop it’ll continue with the recorded automation.

That might sound complicated but it’s not at all. Very intuitive.

• Is the x/y pad position exposed as AU/midi param?

• Nice app but would like to see more filter modes.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2019

There's a short SF-1 Stereo Performance Filter video demo at:

I don't own anything that can do that (yet).

• edited May 2019

@skiphunt said:

@audio_DT said:

@rs2000 said:

@Samu said:

In case you haven't found it yet... if you hit the settings icon, there's a setting to make the automation a smooth loop. You just turn that on. Works well. :)

Thanks for telling me. I’ve had this for about a year and didn’t know. D’oh!

Edit: just been looking at filterstation’s manual and I can’t see any reference to automation, other than that controlled by the host. I’m using AUM, so that type of automation wouldn’t work. Does filterstation have its own in-built parameter automation, like sf-1? I can’t find it at the moment. Apologies if I’m being fick!

• @audio_DT said:

Edit: just been looking at filterstation’s manual and I can’t see any reference to automation, other than that controlled by the host. I’m using AUM, so that type of automation wouldn’t work. Does filterstation have its own in-built parameter automation, like sf-1? I can’t find it at the moment. Apologies if I’m being fick!

It's got an LFO's and Envelope followers just like SF-1 but no 'path recording'.
    Personally I'm starting to like apeMatrix in favour of AUM for certain tasks, especially modulation.

Using Rozeta LFO it's quite easy to route modulation in AUM too.

I may end up getting SF-1 at one point as the UI is a bit mor yummy than the AD stuff.
    But some of the numerical apps do not scale nicely on the iPhone with overlapping controllers...

Then again I'm more and more treating the iPhone as a 'field recorder' rather than 'full blown do everything' device, that's what I've got the iPad for :)

• just tested it a little.
    good sound, low on CPU, tons of good features
    and really performance/live act oriented.
    lovely one.
    thanks Kai!

• @waka_x said:
    just tested it a little.
    good sound, low on CPU, tons of good features
    and really performance/live act oriented.
    lovely one.
    thanks Kai!

For awhile I’ve been focused mostly on tools where the user either creates a sequence beforehand, or apps that generatively create interesting sequences on there own.

I’m loving tools like this SF-1 that sort of entice or require the user to interact more and kind of play the effect more like an instrument. When I make myself interact like that, I end up with a more human sound and less calculated and clinical.