Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2.0.1 update available.

Comments

• Thanks Dendy, I had not seen that one by Doug. Only the Platinum videos and they assume you all ready know how to set up and use NS2 already

• Obsidian is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think NS2 would be perfect if I could have Audio recording.

Right now I have been using Cubasis2 and learning that. It would be great but it does not have the ability for tempo changes.

Korg Gadget is frustrating for me but I like that I can get those old synths.

• Guys anyone know if NS2 might be on special discount I was hoping perhaps a discount during Memorial Day holiday but I didn’t see anything. I can’t decide if I should go for the Factory Synth or NS2. But I don’t have enough for both. <3

• @Tones4Christ said:
    Guys anyone know if NS2 might be on special discount I was hoping perhaps a discount during Memorial Day holiday but I didn’t see anything. I can’t decide if I should go for the Factory Synth or NS2. But I don’t have enough for both. <3

Dunno but good to see you back on here . Been a while

• Obsidian alone trounces factory in most respects. Plus you get all the other sequencing and drum features in addition. Only thing is that obsidian is trapped in NS2s garden, so I’d suggest watching some videos to make sure you’re cool with the NS2 workflow (or accept that you’ll have to do some routing using virtual midi and Audiobus).

• Thanks @Telstar5 <3 o:)

@Telstar5 said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Guys anyone know if NS2 might be on special discount I was hoping perhaps a discount during Memorial Day holiday but I didn’t see anything. I can’t decide if I should go for the Factory Synth or NS2. But I don’t have enough for both. <3

Dunno but good to see you back on here . Been a while

• I kinda was thinking about this but for some reason Factory intrigued me and I ended up always coming up with something but I can’t save it cause I don’t have the full version. However I always wanted NS2 but missed out on the last half off sale.

I’m not in a rush since I’ve been using Atom & Photon in AUM but something about NS2 keeps calling me.

@legsmechanical said:
    Obsidian alone trounces factory in most respects. Plus you get all the other sequencing and drum features in addition. Only thing is that obsidian is trapped in NS2s garden, so I’d suggest watching some videos to make sure you’re cool with the NS2 workflow (or accept that you’ll have to do some routing using virtual midi and Audiobus).

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I kinda was thinking about this but for some reason Factory intrigued me and I ended up always coming up with something but I can’t save it cause I don’t have the full version. However I always wanted NS2 but missed out on the last half off sale.

I’m not in a rush since I’ve been using Atom & Photon in AUM but something about NS2 keeps calling me.

@legsmechanical said:
    Obsidian alone trounces factory in most respects. Plus you get all the other sequencing and drum features in addition. Only thing is that obsidian is trapped in NS2s garden, so I’d suggest watching some videos to make sure you’re cool with the NS2 workflow (or accept that you’ll have to do some routing using virtual midi and Audiobus).

I LOVE Factory, but would take NS2 every time in a straight up choice....when it comes to a bike or a bus (even an awfully pretty bike) I choose the bus....

• edited May 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    I kinda was thinking about this but for some reason Factory intrigued me and I ended up always coming up with something but I can’t save it cause I don’t have the full version. However I always wanted NS2 but missed out on the last half off sale.

@legsmechanical said:

The included FX are very good too, plus a piano roll that is really user-friendly. And live stereo sampling capability on-board.

• Yeah Obsidian is a workhorse synth. It's a good general purpose synth that prioritizes usability/efficiency over deep sound design. Which I'm discovering makes it the synth that I want to use most of the time.

What I find extraordinary about it is that despite it being really easy/fun to use, it still has a lot of depth to it.

• Oh, and Obsidian is very light on resources also.

• Hi all,
    may I ask if NS2 is a complete DAW just with the plain purchase or does it need some other inapp purchase-

Thanks a lot

• @Sinthemau : DAW implies audio tracks--which it doesn't have. NS2 doesn't require any IAPs.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Sinthemau : DAW implies audio tracks--which it doesn't have. NS2 doesn't require any IAPs.

Ah...OK no Audio Tracks here, but it seems pretty simple to use for midi synth use

• Audio tracks are coming soonish with an IAP

• @yowza said:
    Audio tracks are coming soonish with an IAP

Good! I am seriously evaluating picking NS2 as my DAW because from some video I've seen it seems very simple and straightforward to use, and in the meantime pretty complete as a DAW (less audio till now).

• @yowza said:
    Audio tracks are coming soonish with an IAP

'Soonish' is at the end of this year, as I understood @dendy well.

• Downsides with the current NS2:

• Audio AU3 effect support is incomplete (no automation, and the UX is a bit clumsy atm)
    • Midi AU3 - UX is again a little clumsy, there seem to be some remaining bugs and recording midi requires a (third party) workaround
    • No audio tracks (to come later with a further IAP) - there are workarounds, but they're awkward (basically use the sampler)
    • No iPhone support (this is slated to be in the next major release, date TBD)
    • No realtime swing

All of these things are being worked on, and I believe Matt when he says all them will be completed. However, he's not the fastest to get stuff done so don't bank on any of these things happening soon. My hope is that the end of the year will happen, but I'm not relying upon it.

The advantages of the current NS2:

• Workflow, workflow, workflow - seriously, it has superb UX.
    • Obsidian is a really good synth/sampler. If I was to pick a single synth this would probably be it. I'd rather not be limited to 1, but I'd be fine.
    • Great audio architecture. Basically it takes the wonderful Reaper flexibility where you can route anything to anything, and combines it with a simple user interface. Combine that flexibility with Obsidian and you can do some remarkable stuff.
    • Decent built in effects with good user interface (will you use them all the time - probably not. But you will use them more than you expect) and low CPU usage.
    • A timeline that can do time signature and tempo changes - and does them really well.
    • A timeline that allows you to color code, rename, group and generally do whatever you want with tracks.
    • Great UI for MIDI CC/automation type stuff (want one track for notes, and another for filter cutoff. Not a problem. Want to group the together. No problem).

If you can live with the limitations above, then it's already at the point where you can get just churn out tracks quickly and easily.

• edited May 2019

@cian said:
    Downsides with the current NS2:
    1) * Audio AU3 effect support is incomplete (no automation, and the UX is a bit clumsy atm)
    2) * Midi AU3 - UX is again a little clumsy, there seem to be some remaining bugs and recording midi requires a (third party) workaround

If you can live with the limitations above, then it's already at the point where you can get just churn out tracks quickly and easily.

Thanks a lot for the exhaustive explaination, really deep indeed!

The advantages are really awesome and I could live with those limitations you put out but I kindly ask if you can explain better the two I quoted from you:

1) You mean that I cannot use effects directly ( I love e.g. the EOS 2 and this would be very bad for me)
    2) What about the MIDI recording limitations? Which workaround do you mean? Are they a mess or pretty doable?

Again my thanks to you

• edited May 2019

@Sinthemau
    What about the MIDI recording limitations? Which workaround do you mean? Are they a mess or pretty doable?

You cannot record MIDI FX output directly, but it's easdy with MIDI Tools Route AUfx plugin... you just put this plugin after other plugin which you want to record, then you create new track in sequencer, hit "record" - and it records all midi output of plugin into this track..

Here example video how it works, recording of Rozetta Arp output back to sequencer :
    https://studio.youtube.com/video/jTTa4yREomY

1) You mean that I cannot use effects directly ( I love e.g. the EOS 2 and this would be very bad for me)

Yes you can, without any issue - just parameter AUTOMATION is not implemented for AU FXs, just for AU intruments. You can automate build in FXs (there is decent reverb, in quality comparable with eos2, very good stereo delay, filters, chorus, phaser, bitcrusher, very good overdrive/distortion - most of their params is possible to automate)

btw if you check links in this thread, you can learn about lot NS2 details ..
    https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/366/tutorials-tips-tricks

• @dendy said:

@Sinthemau
    What about the MIDI recording limitations? Which workaround do you mean? Are they a mess or pretty doable?

With use of MIDI Tools Route plugin is recording of AU MIDIfx pretty easy and straightforward.. you just put MIDI Tools Route after MIDI AUfx which you want to record, then you create new track in sequencer, hit "record" - and it records all midi into this track..

Here example video how it works:
    https://studio.youtube.com/video/jTTa4yREomY

Yes you can, without any issue - just parameter AUTOMATION is not implemented for AU FXs, just for AU intruments. You can automate build in FXs (there is decent reverb, in quality comparable with eos2, very good stereo delay, filters, chorus, phaser, bitcrusher, very good overdrive/distortion - most of their params is possible to automate)

That's absolutely clear, thanks so much. Nothing really dramatic, so...I think that NS2 could be my DAW, indeed.
    Just check the video you linked and some other stuff looking around the Web and then I will push the button.

All the best and _cheers to all the kind helping people here _

• I have yet to exhaust the modulation slots as find that if I simply map a handful of things to velocity and note, the sounds sound modulated as hell. It can even get too busy. My favorite iOS synth by far

• Please we need a sale o:) <3 <3 :#

• I’ve been using NS2 since it’s birthday and love it. I’ve worked around the stuff I can’t do (AU FX automation) and really really enjoy the workflow. @Sinthemau I don’t know what kind of device you have, but I have a 2017 iPad Pro 13 and the 2.0.1 update takes advantage of the added real estate wonderfully. I’ve got +60 tracks going almost all Obsidian and a few AU FX plus a few Fabfilter Pro Q2 EQ’s and it’s running at 50% tops.

I’ve got a song I’m trying to fix the mix on but I’m prepping to move from Texas to Arkansas so I’ve purposefully stopped using NS2 so I can get my real life stuff done :lol: It’s been difficult to do that :wink:

• @Sinthemau said:
    The advantages are really awesome and I could live with those limitations you put out but I kindly ask if you can explain better the two I quoted from you:

What @dendy said.

I really love NanoStudio despite those limitations. My guess is in a year's time my grumbles will about relatively minor things, such as the lack of note transposition in MIDI, or only having 24 modulation slots in Obsidian. My plan over the next year is to do all compositions in Nanostudio, and use ApeMatrix for modular/ambient style jamming. I've been trying to simplify over the past year - and Nanostudio is good for that.

• @cian said:
    I really love NanoStudio despite those limitations. My guess is in a year's time my grumbles will about relatively minor things, such as the lack of note transposition in MIDI, or only having 24 modulation slots in Obsidian. My plan over the next year is to do all compositions in Nanostudio, and use ApeMatrix for modular/ambient style jamming. I've been trying to simplify over the past year - and Nanostudio is good for that.

There is transposition in the sequencer using the buttons on the far right after making a selection. (Perhaps you’re referring to something else though)

• edited May 2019

At the end I finally decided to take this. Already bought and started to look at: it seems really a pleasure to work with, good design and workflow. I think i will stick at it trying to master the more I can.
    I will follow the good forum on the NS site too.
    See you there all and thanks for the great suggestion ;)

• @legsmechanical said:
    There is transposition in the sequencer using the buttons on the far right after making a selection. (Perhaps you’re referring to something else though)

Yeah I meant more like you can do in notation/desktop DAWs where you can transpose within a scale. And also stuff like inverting notes, or (this is pretty advanced TBH) being able to flip around an axis and stuff. Or applying a different set of rhythms. I'm sort of joking - I'd love it that stuff came, but I'm not really expecting it.

• FYI: MidiRoute AU +Atom will give you a lot of that stuff, and they’re pretty painless to use in NS2 (and my theshold for workflow pain is LOW).

• edited May 2019

Just delving more into the onboard ns2 fx. I love with ns2 that if I stay with stock plugs 100% the CPU usage is incredibly low. The Waveshaper really slaps on hip hop drums, and im starting to really appreciate the delay and verb as well. and Obsidian is definitely the best sounding stock synth in an iOS DAW (Micrologue in second place)

Im stoked to delve more into Obsidian as a sampler and loading in multisampled instruments and such. Synthjacker is the homie for this!