Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Soft reboot" on devices without a home button

Does anyone know how to do a soft-reboot (https://wiki.audiob.us/soft_reboot) on iDevices that don't have a home button?

Comments

• Wow, i had no clue there were iPads without a home button. Obviously, I'm of no help. Best of luck

• edited May 2019

Conceptually, it's the same process (bring up the power off screen and press the Home button), it's just a lot more complicated....

First off, just turning off the new iPad Pros is more complicated than before. To get to the "Slide to power off" screen you either have to:

-Press and hold either volume button and the Top button for several seconds until the power off slider appears.

-Or go into Settings > General
    Scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Shut Down.

To get the Home button, you have to Go to Settings > General > Accessibility>AssistiveTouch and turn AssistiveTouch on.
    By default the pop up has the Home button, but if you've changed anything, it might not be there and you'll need to re-add.

• I think it’s power and volume down .....
    Just a vague recollection though. All my I things have home buttons too.

• Click Volume Up, Volume Down then HOLD the power button until the Apple logo appears. That will give you infinite lives and unlock the “Mega-Boss” level.

• @brice said:
    Click Volume Up, Volume Down then HOLD the power button until the Apple logo appears. That will give you infinite lives and unlock the “Mega-Boss” level.

I think that is an actual forced reboot, no? Maybe "soft reboot" is the wrong phrase to use. What I am talking about does't actually reboot the system. It does some sort of RAM/zombie clearing without actually rebooting. It takes you from "slide to power off" and back to the home screen without rebooting.

• https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Does this not explain it? Go to the section for “iPads with FaceID”

... I must be missing something?

• @Hmtx said:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Does this not explain it? Go to the section for “iPads with FaceID”

... I must be missing something?

The page you linked to is about restarting the device. That's not what we are discussing. See the wiki article I linked to. The question is how to do that on devices without a home button.

• edited May 2019

@aplourde explained it already. Paraphrasing him:

Memory Reset for newer iDevices without a physical Home button:
    1. No Home button?! So you need to first create a virtual Home button using AssistiveTouch: Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch and turn AssistiveTouch on. A virtual Home button appears on-screen.
    2. Press and hold either volume button and the Top button for several seconds until the 'slide to power off' slider appears. OR go into Settings > General, scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Shut Down to get the 'slide to power off' slider to appear.
    3. Long-press the virtual Home button after getting the 'slide to power off' slider to appear.

Memory Reset for older iDevices with a physical Home button:
    Long-press Power button until 'slide to power off' slider appears, then Long-press Home button until screen refreshes.

Soft Reset: (like hibernating a laptop): Long-press Power button until 'slide to power off' slider appears, slide to power off. Data in memory is restored at boot.

Hard Reset: (like powering a laptop off, then on): Long-press Power button and Home until you see it start to restart with Apple logo, but keep holding Power and Home until screen goes black and stays black. Then restart with power button.

• I think removing the physical home button and all the UI contraptions that it begat will haunt Apple and its customers forever.

Heck, if they absolutely want to keep the front screen-only, they could still put the damn button somewhere on the edge, like the volume buttons, or even on the back!

• And the skinny bezels! I want something to hold onto in landscape mode so I don't drop it.

The 'updated' FaceTime camera now practically sits directly behind the display. Did I mention that I got a cluster of stuck blue pixels in the area near the camera on the 2018 iPad Pro I tested? I believe the display is way too close to the camera parts now.

The new iPad Pros do look beautifully modern though.

• @ocelot said:

1. No Home button?! So you need to first create a virtual Home button using AssistiveTouch: Go to Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch and turn AssistiveTouch on. A virtual Home button appears on-screen.
    2. Press and hold either volume button and the Top button for several seconds until the 'slide to power off' slider appears. OR go into Settings > General, scroll all the way to the bottom and tap Shut Down to get the 'slide to power off' slider to appear.
    3. Long-press the virtual Home button after getting the 'slide to power off' slider to appear.

Long-press Power button until 'slide to power off' slider appears, then Long-press Home button until screen refreshes.

Soft Reset: (like hibernating a laptop): Long-press Power button until 'slide to power off' slider appears, slide to power off. Data in memory is restored at boot.

Hard Reset: (like powering a laptop off, then on): Long-press Power button and Home until you see it start to restart with Apple logo, but keep holding Power and Home until screen goes black and stays black. Then restart with power button.

Tx

• @ocelot said:

PRO TIP!!

Set your 3 power button click shortcut to bring up (and then re-hide) the virtual home button. I think it’s an accessibility setting. With this set up you can do a soft reset with a 2018 Pro in under 10 seconds.

• @marmakin said:
    PRO TIP!!

Set your 3 power button click shortcut to bring up (and then re-hide) the virtual home button. I think it’s an accessibility setting. With this set up you can do a soft reset with a 2018 Pro in under 10 seconds.

Now this is a great tip :) so much better to skip all the menu diving otherwise needed to turn on the virtual home button.