Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Desktop Semi-Modular Options......

PittsBurg has one.

O Coast.

What else?

Anyone have one they can talk about?

Looking for more experimental leads and background additive sounds for songs with existing drums, baseline, and other sounds.

Thanks

Comments

• @RUST( i )K said:
    PittsBurg has one.

O Coast.

Mother 32 and Neutron come to mind. There's also the Volca Modular, Plankton Electronics Ants!

• @RUST( i )K said:

Looking for more experimental leads and background additive sounds for songs with existing drums, baseline, and other sounds.

Sounds like the 0 Coast to me.

I do have a buddy who uses a Mother 32 for drone/ambient/experimental stuff but he's a fan of Berlin-school stuff so it's a good fit for him. O Coast seems more purpose designed for the wilder side of experimental.

• Just searching for Semi Modular comes up with several on any dealer. Also there is Boomstar, Sound Machines Modulör114, and many companies make “all in one” modules where you just need a small case and maybe a MIDI to CV and you are good to go. I don’t use modular anything, so no comments on use of any of them. I kind of want to get a Neutron though as it’s so cheap and looks like it might be fun to plug cables into places and likely make more noise than music. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=semi+modular+synth

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Do you need the cv control of semi modulars or just the internal routing/modulation options? If you don’t need to bring in external cv control, the microfreak might be one of the best options (considering the price) for the kind of sounds you describe.

• Anything Dreadbox. I don't have any of their synths, but were I to buy a semi-modular then they'd be my first choice.

• I've had quite a few semi modulars (Mother 32, DFAM, Dreadbox etc.) as well as a small fortune in eurorack.

The O coast is hands down the best value and most versatile modular/semi you can get.

Behringer stuff has a lot of really dumb design decisions. Gate voltage is way too low...

• Lots of great desktop semi-modular synth suggestions already, so here's several options if you want to go down the Eurocrack rabbit hole later.

These all have MIDI IN, and also come in a standalone case but can be removed from the case and mounted in a bigger Eurorack case:

Behringer Model D.
    Behringer Neutron.
    Moog Mother 32.
    Moog DFAM.
    Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1.
    Roland System-1m.
    SoundMachines MODULÖR114. (this has lots of utility modules too, plus FX).
    Radikal Technologies Delta Cep A.
    Make Noise 0-Coast. (slight modification of power required for Euro-mounting).

But if you have a basic MIDI>CV interface (Korg SQ1) and an inexpensive Eurorack case (eBay), there are many more options available:
    Modular Grid: Search for Eurorack Full Synth Voice by Popularity
    Perfect Circuit: Search for Eurorack Full Synth Voice
    Perfect Circuit: Search for Standalone System
    Juno UK: Search for Euro Modules

Of course the cheapest option is probably the Korg Volca Modular or an MS-20 Mini with a Hz to Volts converter or a MIDI>CV interface that does it.

• O-coast + CVOCD + IPAD + AUDIO INTERFACE + ASS LOAD OF CHEAP AU fx in AUM

The above is an ancient equation that has been proven to suck years of your life while you explore the outermost regions of known soundspacetime.

Maybe throw in a DFAM...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    O-coast + CVOCD + IPAD + AUDIO INTERFACE + ASS LOAD OF CHEAP AU fx in AUM

The above is an ancient equation that has been proven to suck years of your life while you explore the outermost regions of known soundspacetime.

Maybe throw in a DFAM...

:+1:

Who doesn't want to do this kind of thing all day:

Although Mozaic actually has a random octave script that does something equally cool.

• @BroCoast said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    O-coast + CVOCD + IPAD + AUDIO INTERFACE + ASS LOAD OF CHEAP AU fx in AUM

Maybe throw in a DFAM...

:+1:

Who doesn't want to do this kind of thing all day:

Although Mozaic actually has a random octave script that does something equally cool.

Yup, throw on some reverb and delay and you too can be Caterina Barbieri or Laurie Spiegel. At least if you have a good agent. 😏

• The right hairdresser will do it too.

• No one can tell you whats the best thing to buy because this stuff depends on your personal preferences, so some objective best doesent exist. A lot of people like 0-coast for example, but you might hate how it sounds.

So just see whats on the market and listen to demos, read reviews and perhaps go check some on a store.

• What do people think about the Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 now that it has been out a while?

• TLDR most of the thread but I thought I’d share my thoughts.

I have a 0-Coast and a Softpop, both I adore.

I got the 0-Coast for two reasons: 1) because I was totally engrossed in Bram Bos’ Ripplemaker. I loved the patch cable workflow and exploration and was keen to explore more of the Buchla indebted additive synth method.
    2) and this is the real reason I guess is because I was growing weary of waiting for the delayed Softpop I had preordered! How fortunate that I ended up with both!

I had experience fiddling about and learning from my friends eurorack system and it was quite the learning curve but surprisingly fun for me. So bare that in mind

The Softpop is the one I use the most. It is eurorack compatible but its own patchbay is for the tiny jumper cables which the Volca Modular also uses.
    Its a mad little machine but regularly inspiring the more you tinker. My favourite sounds I get out of it sounds like some kind of alien trumpet. Also I love that the 3 jack ports are actually stereo and bidirectional so how it talks to other machines is more expansive than I initially realised. Its my noise machine, but can be sequenced and can be quite tuneful if you know how to patch it.

I got it because Peter Edwards of Casper Electronics is an inspiring genius and the Softpop is so ambitious and original.

I think there has been a lot said about the 0-Coast but I will say its a beautiful machine as well.

We are having an explosion of semi modular boxes at the moment so when it comes to picking one, its really up to what you want to do with it, what you would like to have it interact and cross patch with, what interface it comes with e.g. a sequencer (so something like the Arturia MiniBrute 2S, Behringer Crave, Analogue Solution’s Impulse Command) a keyboard (Moog Grandmother, Arturias MiniBrute 2 or even Korg MS-20 which isn’t actually eurorack compatible directly.). Plus there are ones you may need at least a MIDI keyboard for or other eurorack interfaces (0-Coast, Behringer’s Neutron and Model D, Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV1 etc...)
    Then of course there are the other patching standards like the jumper cable my Softpop uses alongwith its siblings BitRanger and Kastle and now of course the Volca Modular (seriously craving that one personally) eurorack or whatever mad standard that Soma Pulsar 23 is using!

• edited May 2019

@Calverhall said:
    TLDR most of the thread but I thought I’d share my thoughts.

I have a 0-Coast and a Softpop, both I adore.

I got the 0-Coast for two reasons: 1) because I was totally engrossed in Bram Bos’ Ripplemaker. I loved the patch cable workflow and exploration and was keen to explore more of the Buchla indebted additive synth method.
    2) and this is the real reason I guess is because I was growing weary of waiting for the delayed Softpop I had preordered! How fortunate that I ended up with both!

I had experience fiddling about and learning from my friends eurorack system and it was quite the learning curve but surprisingly fun for me. So bare that in mind

The Softpop is the one I use the most. It is eurorack compatible but its own patchbay is for the tiny jumper cables which the Volca Modular also uses.
    Its a mad little machine but regularly inspiring the more you tinker. My favourite sounds I get out of it sounds like some kind of alien trumpet. Also I love that the 3 jack ports are actually stereo and bidirectional so how it talks to other machines is more expansive than I initially realised. Its my noise machine, but can be sequenced and can be quite tuneful if you know how to patch it.

I got it because Peter Edwards of Casper Electronics is an inspiring genius and the Softpop is so ambitious and original.

I think there has been a lot said about the 0-Coast but I will say its a beautiful machine as well.

We are having an explosion of semi modular boxes at the moment so when it comes to picking one, its really up to what you want to do with it, what you would like to have it interact and cross patch with, what interface it comes with e.g. a sequencer (so something like the Arturia MiniBrute 2S, Behringer Crave, Analogue Solution’s Impulse Command) a keyboard (Moog Grandmother, Arturias MiniBrute 2 or even Korg MS-20 which isn’t actually eurorack compatible directly.). Plus there are ones you may need at least a MIDI keyboard for or other eurorack interfaces (0-Coast, Behringer’s Neutron and Model D, Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV1 etc...)
    Then of course there are the other patching standards like the jumper cable my Softpop uses alongwith its siblings BitRanger and Kastle and now of course the Volca Modular (seriously craving that one personally) eurorack or whatever mad standard that Soma Pulsar 23 is using!

I hope the jumper cable/breadboard format takes off. I'd much rather see kids with hacked volcas and homebrew experiments instead of thousands in eurorack.

• @BroCoast said:
    I hope the jumper cable/breadboard format takes off. I'd much rather see kids with hacked volcas and homebrew experiments instead of thousands in eurorack

Have you taken a look at AE Modular by tangible waves?

• @bennorland said:

@BroCoast said:
    I hope the jumper cable/breadboard format takes off. I'd much rather see kids with hacked volcas and homebrew experiments instead of thousands in eurorack

Ive started a eurorack system so i am hesitant to start an AE system, but it definitely appeals.

• @Calverhall said:

@bennorland said:

@BroCoast said:

Ive started a eurorack system so i am hesitant to start an AE system, but it definitely appeals.

Me too. But it does look like a nice compact and low cost solution

• This review gave me pause about the AE modular option, which I really liked on paper: https://spaceshipsin.space/things/ae-modular.html

• My favorite :D

• @jipumarino said:
    This review gave me pause about the AE modular option, which I really liked on paper: https://spaceshipsin.space/things/ae-modular.html

Goodness. That is a bad review

• @jipumarino said:
    This review gave me pause about the AE modular option, which I really liked on paper: https://spaceshipsin.space/things/ae-modular.html

Ouch. It’s always good to hear a user review, rather than some of the fawning “Synth media” stories, which tend to be less review and more marketing.

I really like some of the videos I’ve seen of this setup, but quality was always a concern, given the low price.

• @Seangarland said:

@jipumarino said:

Ouch. It’s always good to hear a user review, rather than some of the fawning “Synth media” stories, which tend to be less review and more marketing.

I really like some of the videos I’ve seen of this setup, but quality was always a concern, given the low price.

Thanks for this. I was seriously considering this down the road. I'll just got a 0 Coast.

• There is no date on that review, that I can see, when was it written?

• I asked the author on Twitter; I'll let you know if he replies

• edited May 2019

He has replied, I asked if his review still reflected his opinion of it. He said (I asked for permission to share):

50/50

This Superbooth I've seen quite a few reviews that have a very different experience to mine, and also there seems to be a bunch of new modules that fill the gaps that I was missing (better 1v/oct tracking, better sequencers, better effects, a slew modules, etc...). Also I noticed the new units have different sockets the unit I had

So I'm thinking that I got in too early and/or I got a faulty unit, because my experience doesn't reflect what others have been saying

It might also be that people don't feel right criticising a new format that is still picking up steam. i certainly feel a little bad about that article, but it does reflect the experience I had with my unit

Also, if it's important, I got my unit last summer (August IIRC) and sold it last month

• @kinkujin said:

@Seangarland said:

@jipumarino said:

Thanks for this. I was seriously considering this down the road. I'll just got a 0 Coast.

I don't think you will regret the 0-Coast (if you like what you see/hear in the videos on YouTube). While I don't have one, I have a number of friends that have them and all of them love them.

• @espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:

@Seangarland said:

@jipumarino said:

I don't think you will regret the 0-Coast (if you like what you see/hear in the videos on YouTube). While I don't have one, I have a number of friends that have them and all of them love them.

Plus with the 0-Coast there is a wealth of video tutorials and patch ideas.

• @Calverhall said:

@espiegel123 said:

@kinkujin said:

@Seangarland said:

@jipumarino said:

Plus with the 0-Coast there is a wealth of video tutorials and patch ideas.

Thank you for that.