Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StreamByter - Big Hard Excellent... Update!

... Not an Imperfect List

Announcement for all my Audiobus friends.

I have just pressed the release button on StreamByter version 1.4. This was only going to be a bug fix release but I got carried away and have very significant new features for you.

First, the GUI controls box now has 16 customisable controls. As well as sliders, we have buttons and dropdown menus. The layout of the controls box is eminently configurable from the script Here’s an example of a work-in-progress GUI:

Secondly, there has been a major overhaul of the StreamByter language. You are no longer restricted to ‘assembler’ like opcodes and nasty UPPER capitalisation. All rules and flags now have long-form variants. Add to this the ability to give any variable a user defined alias, macros and parameterised subroutines and we’re starting to look a bit more like a modern programming language. By way of example, here is a chunk of code written in the new form:

new:

if load
  # define custom aliases for GUI controls, variables and literals
  alias Q0 delaySlider
  alias Q1 notesOffButton
  alias I0 loopCounter
  alias $123 allNotesOffCC

# configure the controls appearance
  set delaySlider Delay_(ms) $0 $2000 +slider
  set notesOffButton All_Notes_Off +button

# initialise the controls
  assign delaySlider = 0 +preserve

# include standard factory includes
  set include factory standard_includes

# subroutine to process a note event
  subroutine processNoteEvent

if midi_msg_type == note_on_msg
      math midi_msg_velocity = midi_msg_velocity / 2
    end
    send midi_msg_data midi_msg_note midi_msg_velocity +DdelaySlider

end

# subroutine to send all notes off to a range of channels
  subroutine allNotesOff startChannel endChannel

assign loopCounter = startChannel
    while loopCounter <= endChannel
      math I1 = controller_msg + loopCounter
      send I1 allNotesOffCC 00
      increment loopCounter
    end
  end

end # of load

# handle note events
if midi_msg_type < A0
  processNoteEvent
end

# handle all notes off button press
if control_q1_moved
  allNotesOff 0 $15
end

Now, that would look like this in the traditional 'compact' form:

# halve note velocity and delay according to slider
IF LOAD
  SET Q0 DELAY 00 3E8
  SET Q1 NOTES_OFF 0 1 
  ASS Q0 = 0 0 +P
END

# convert note on/zero velocity to note off
9X XX 00 = 8X
IF MT < A0
  IF MT == 90
    MAT M2 = M2 / 2
  END
  SND M0 M1 M2 +DQ0
  XX = XX +B
END

# handle notes off slider
IF M0 == F7 7D 01 01
  ASS I0 = 0
  IF I0 < 0F +L
    MAT I1 = B0 + I0
    SND I1 7B 00
  END
END

However, this is entirely backwards compatible so the old code will run perfectly fine in the new version and you now have the choice of concise+esoteric or long+modular.

Finally, I have gone to great lengths to provide some comprehensive materials for learning StreamByter - enter the ‘StreamByter University’ http://audeonic.boards.net/board/14/university (If Trump can do it, so can I), where you can peruse a series of articles from just getting started with StreamByter to advanced techniques. There is even a step by step tutorial on building your own custom MIDI channel switcher.

The full details of the new release (and there are many more new enhancements) are in the App Store ‘What’s New’ description: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/streambyter/id1398712641?mt=8

I do hope you enjoy this new update. I hope to be able to announce some new drop’n’run scripts (that’s a hint above) very soon also.

PS. The new StreamByter is currently retrofitted back into MidiFire (along with some new features and some bug fixes) so some love coming there also. StreamByterAU for macOS should also be available this week too.

Regards, Nic.

Comments

• Thanks Nic, this looks an amazing update, looking forward to digging into this later (I may need to bunk off work early today 😉)

• edited May 2019

I hate the word "game changer" but this release really makes a huge potential difference in readability and user-friendliness!
    Thank you @audeonic !!

• Wow! That is a damn impressive update! Thanks and congrats.🎉

• edited May 2019

Nice work! :)
    This is so much better for me and the tutorials are great, I'm impressed.

• great update. thanks

• Wow, congrats on the big update, Nic. I have to say that I'm most excited about Streambyter University. Looking forward to going back to school!

• Fence sitter has now been convinced. Bought
    Im always thinking of what I could do with Midi with your apps but my keenness fades faster that my ability to understand/make the code. This update address this aspect. I have midifire and dont use it but being an auv3 makes this much more useful for me (I like everything on one screen even if it's behind another window, I never got on with switching screens)
    Excellent update Nic

The other thing is your amazing support. If I cant be bothered to work it out I can just post my idea and you code it or at least solve the problems.

Midi IS technical and even when you have the correct code you have to figure out how to configure the auv3s in your host of choice but in the last year or so this has become much easier.

• Hi All - there is now a Wiki page set up for information about StreamByter. It has a section to link to useful scripts. Please feel free to expand this page, especially with scripts and links to helpful forum posts and discussions.

https://wiki.audiob.us/streambyter

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:
    I always skimmed past these apps like this and Mozaic. But taking a look now it seems a shame that this one hasn’t had the same support/sales that Mozaic received. Guess this one is a little more niche/limited maybe?
    Deciding which to buy. What are the pros and cons of each?

They’re both equally strong. Just different. Mainly in the style of presentation and design of the languages. I really suggest looking at the Mozaic manual and the Streambyter Support Page if you’re really trying to decide between them. There’s more than enough objective information in each to make an informed decision.

I dearly hope no one gets provokes a pissing match between the two apps!
    (Not saying you’re provoking that ... but other’s have. :/ )

• @wim said:
    Hi All - there is now a Wiki page set up for information about StreamByter. It has a section to link to useful scripts. Please feel free to expand this page, especially with scripts and links to helpful forum posts and discussions.

Gracious and helpful given the potential for political fireworks.

• I was more than little leery of doing it for that reason, but both are great apps from terrific developers, and both can benefit from easier to find script mentions than the forum provides. I hope people treat both the developers with the respect they deserve.

• Nicely done @wim :)
    The recent updates to Streambyter have been great, even more potential than ever now for it with interesting scripts with all the new gui options.

• @Carnbot said:
    Nicely done @wim :)
    The recent updates to Streambyter have been great, even more potential than ever now for it with interesting scripts with all the new gui options.

Right on!

• @wim said:
    Hi All - there is now a Wiki page set up for information about StreamByter. It has a section to link to useful scripts. Please feel free to expand this page, especially with scripts and links to helpful forum posts and discussions.

Nice!

• edited May 2019

Seems like Mozaic is almost entirely derived from Streambyter core concept

without getting involved in other peoples nonsense - there is a long long history of computing languages in electronic music, some of which date back to the '50s https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUSIC-N - It's great to see this coming to the iPad, for a long time Apple didn't allow built in interpreters, and I hope both of these apps are another step for what is turning out, for me anyway, as a fantastic music making platform.

• @EyeOhEss,

Just. Stop. Please.

<ignoring...>

• To anyone else but EyeOhEss ... please don’t jump into this. I don’t know what he said because he’s now on my ignore list. Don’t want to know, and don’t want to have any fights break out. OK, please?

• @audeonic thumbs up for what seems to be a really solid piece of work and a convincing interface approach B) :+1:

• @Telefunky said:
    @audeonic thumbs up for what seems to be a really solid piece of work and a convincing interface approach B) :+1:

+1

• Huge update, thanks a lot !

• It looks like another update is in the works and it will also include the new MIDI Looper script @Nic put together on request. It should make for an interesting study on how to store incoming events and feed them back with the correct timing.

• @McD said:
    It looks like another update is in the works and it will also include the new MIDI Looper script @Nic put together on request. It should make for an interesting study on how to store incoming events and feed them back with the correct timing.

That will be very cool...especially if it is easy to adapt to allow host-independent tempo.

• edited May 2019

@McD said:
    It looks like another update is in the works and it will also include the new MIDI Looper script @Nic put together on request. It should make for an interesting study on how to store incoming events and feed them back with the correct timing.

The Midi looper script is way cool, it’s basic as a midi looper but just works so you can get loops going in seconds without any menu diving which in my book is great for inspiration.

Has about a minute duration or 256 note total. Also comes with a trim function.

Great little script.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:
    To anyone else but EyeOhEss ... please don’t jump into this. I don’t know what he said because he’s now on my ignore list. Don’t want to know, and don’t want to have any fights break out. OK, please?

Lol. The embarrassment of the ‘ignore’ approach. Have some dignity.

You’ve already said you’re probably not buying either app—why do you feel the need to weigh in and piss in the punch bowl? Why does anyone care what you think?