Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Has this been requested - Loopy Loops direct to files

So I was just doing my daily "Coffee and Contemplations" morning routine like ol' Jim Hopper, not to be confused with Jim Halpert and I had a thought.

Can I access the loops that I record in loopy from the files app? I then investigated and it seems they are not.

Then I thought, that would be a great feature.

I was telling my son this morning that he needs to work on his writing for school. Mostly just getting his ideas down on paper. Then he can go in and rewrite it in a second draft adding and taking things away. Thats when it hit me.

If we could open up loopy, get our ideas down in the form of loops, save the session and all of the audio files for that session were available in the files app that would be awesome. yea the naming would be "session name_1" or whatever but still. If we didn't have export each individual loop from the session that would make for easy importing into our DAW of choice for arrangement.

Thoughts on this?

Request
  1. Would loops directly into the files app be helpful?10 votes
    1. Yes - add it and charge a few bucks for an IAP to help support further development
      60.00%
    2. Yes - but don't make it an IAP as we don't want to support further development of the app
      10.00%
    3. No - I rather enjoy the finger dance of exporting each loop individually
      30.00%

Comments

• I'm torn as I'd rather see 'Loopy Masterpiece' see the daylight :)

But yeah a 'single tap' 'Save Loops to iTunes' (which is the folded that is optionally visible to FIles.app) could be neat.
    And well, make the Loopy Documents folder visible to Files.app.

• @Samu yea I was a little torn posting it but I figured I would ask. I would love to see Loopy Masterpiece edition but opening up the app to the files app seems like an easy thing. but I am not a programmer either.

• I never know what loop I'm exporting in loopy haha the way it numbers the loops don't seem to be in order from left to right, I dunno maybe I was drunk lol

• edited May 2019

@gmslayton said:
    @Samu yea I was a little torn posting it but I figured I would ask. I would love to see Loopy Masterpiece edition but opening up the app to the files app seems like an easy thing. but I am not a programmer either.

Yeah, 'basic' Files.app support (ie. make the apps 'Documents' ie.the 'iTunes Folder' visible to Files.app) shouldn't be too hard to add.

But it can be a hassle if a user taps or opens a file from the Files.app as there is no way to set the 'default app' for the different file-types...

...but for those who know what they are doing its a powerful tool to easily be able to access the files from other apps.

• It would be great if Loopy exposed its repository so that Files app could access the contents.

• edited May 2019

It’s not as good as just being able to access the loops directly, but in case you don’t already
    know about this workaround, you can save uncompressed aiff versions of your loops (one at a time) to the files app:

1) Press and hold the middle of a loop

2) Choose “Open in”

3) Choose “Save to files”

Be careful though—if you choose “Save to files” without first choosing “Open in”, you end up with a compressed version of the loop.

== EDIT ==
    Hah. Oops. Missed that it looks like you already know this. I need to learn to read. Still, this could be useful for others who don’t know how to get uncompressed versions of loops out of Loopy since it’s not super obvious.

• If you route dedicated outputs into AUM/AB3... it should be possible to record and access after that in AudioShare... and Files?

• edited May 2019

@bwrobinett Thanks and yes, I know a few tricks. Just trying to see if there are streamlined options.

@TheDubbyLabby yea that would be one way, but it adds an additional step, which once you start adding steps and setups, takes away from the creative process sometimes.

Lets all make sure we cast a vote. If we can get enough votes, maybe @Michael will add it.

• Sorry guys, had to vote no

I’m in favor of Michael working on Loopy Pro :)

• @Hmtx nooooooooooooooo! Can't he do both?

• Open a poll!

• Loopy already shares its files of a recording session, each loop as an AIFF file, as shared iTunes data.
    I can imagine that adding Files support would actually be a no-brainer for Michael, although I better wait for an authoritative response :)

• @gmslayton Well, I just saw the new Mozaic app from Brambos and suddenly realize what a terrifying and mystical endeavor it is to do coding. So ... both? I’m not qualified to answer that question. :lol:

But on a serious note, if the goal is to create a loop that you are going to use elsewhere, why not just record in AUM? It has easy file recording.

To me Loopy’s strength is centered around live performance, so I’m not too worried about what to do with the Loopy loops after the loop. 🤪

• @rs2000 said:
    Loopy already shares its files of a recording session, each loop as an AIFF file, as shared iTunes data.
    I can imagine that adding Files support would actually be a no-brainer for Michael, although I better wait for an authoritative response :)

Yeah, we can always tag @Michael and see how he responds to this request :)

In my very humble opinion basic Files.app support should be standard for every new app that gets released so we can avoid 'the computer' to share files between apps or/or iOS devices and NO, usage of a 'Cloud Service' is NOT the proper solution no matter how much Apple tries to force iCloud in our throats especially when we just need quick app<->app or device<->device transfer...

• edited May 2019

It's a very good point - Files support is something I've been wanting to do for ages, in Loopy and Audiobus (and Samplebot, for that matter). Last time I looked into it, thinking it could be a quick thing I could do, it looked a lot more involved than I was prepared to tackle, but as Loopy Pro is going to do this, when I get to it I may be able to roll back some stuff. Stay tuned.

And sorry about the respond delay =)

• @Michael said:
    It's a very good point - Files support is something I've been wanting to do for ages, in Loopy and Audiobus (and Samplebot, for that matter). Last time I looked into it, thinking it could be a quick thing I could do, it looked a lot more involved than I was prepared to tackle, but as Loopy Pro is going to do this, when I get to it I may be able to roll back some stuff. Stay tuned.

Isn't there a flag that can be set that makes the Documents folder that is exposed in iTunes File Sharing visible to the files app?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:

Isn't there a flag that can be set that makes the Documents folder that is exposed in iTunes File Sharing visible to the files app?

Been a while since I looked into it, but it wasn't that simple, I recall.

• Two words for ya:

Loopy Pro :)