Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• Thanks @wim that’s quite a script and handy for education too!

• edited May 2019

Thanks a lot for your reply @brambos !
    I just decided to buy Mozaic even as a non programmer. It is a pleasure for me to support your outstanding work with this purchase! 😊👍

Now I’m curious what the community will bring on the table, looking forward for some nice Mozaic plugins! And who knows, if the scripting is understandable for me... 😎

😊

• @Jocphone said:

@brambos said:

@Jocphone said:
    Is it possible to have snapshots of the front panel only?

Was just thinking that with the sequencers you might want to save the note values only.

All variables and states are also saved in the plugin's state, so whatever values you currently have in your scripts (e.g. recorded MIDI looping content in a buffer) will automatically be saved/restored in your projects.

But you can choose to selectively reset things upon loading, ofcourse.

It works just like "a real plugin" :)

I meant is it possible to save the panel state separately to the script. So you could have one sequencer script and load in different panel settings?

It's not a standard AU host/plugin feature so it's not something you get for free out of the box, but I'm sure you can fairly easily use Array variables to [re]store knobstates in scripts.

Also, if your host allows snapshots of AU plugin states you could simply use that mechanism. There's no practical reason to separate knob-states from the underlying script anyway.

• Another MIDI echo that uses Velocity variation per step rather than pad-toggles. It’s an echo with variable volume per echo. Each echo can be softer or louder than the original, making some interesting rhythms.

Project file download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9kk4lcp7ww1dp23/Velocity MIDI Echo.mozaic?dl=0

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@Jocphone said:

@brambos said:

@Jocphone said:
    Is it possible to have snapshots of the front panel only?

Was just thinking that with the sequencers you might want to save the note values only.

All variables and states are also saved in the plugin's state, so whatever values you currently have in your scripts (e.g. recorded MIDI looping content in a buffer) will automatically be saved/restored in your projects.

But you can choose to selectively reset things upon loading, ofcourse.

It works just like "a real plugin" :)

I meant is it possible to save the panel state separately to the script. So you could have one sequencer script and load in different panel settings?

Yes. Best practice IMO is to save the script with the default settings. Then make your changes and save a preset in the host. This does not overwrite the script. It does save the panel state with all the settings you want. To go back to defaults just reload the project file.

You want to avoid saving the script itself when you’ve made changes to the settings, or at least save with a different name.

• edited May 2019

Congrats on release, and thanks for breaking another barrier (or several ones) for us!

Edit:
    IAP 1 - spare time to learn how to code - £15.99
    IAP 2 - spare time to code - £10.99

• Dynamic Scale Quantizer. This one was prompted by a post some months back from someone looking for an app that would listen to midi note input, and build a scale filter from it. For instance, play a chord, then have any input forced to only the notes of the chord. if anyone locates that thread, please let me know. I’d be interested to know if this works the way the poster had in mind.

Dropbox download link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gh96ndo12a3cbk0/Dynamic Scale Quantize.mozaic?dl=0

• Thanks @brambos and @wim it sounds like I was getting Mozaic save and AU presets mixed up. Will have a better dig in later.

• Congratulations for the launch, it was pleasure to beta test :)

• Thanks a lot for sharing your work @wim ! 😊👍

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@Jocphone said:
    Thanks @brambos and @wim it sounds like I was getting Mozaic save and AU presets mixed up. Will have a better dig in later.

It’s fairly easy to save control states in an array, then to recall them. So, you do something like save and recall snapshots of the knob settings by hitting pads.

That’s actually a brilliant idea! I think I’m gonna do just that in the Dynamic Scale Quantizer script. Save a set of scale filters, then toggle different ones with the pads. Cool!

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@chandroji said:
    Thanks a lot for sharing your work @wim ! 😊👍

Prolly shoulda done some simpler ones to not scare people off. :#

Fortunately Bram included several easier to understand and better coded ones with the app.

• OK, Last one for now. It’s a simple one - a MIDI Channel Changer. With no pads lit, MIDI passes through unchanged. Pressing a pad will change the outgoing MIDI channel to the pad number pressed. Pressing a lit pad returns to pass through mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjgtxd6y13aei1m/MIDI Channelizer Pads.mozaic?dl=0

• edited May 2019

Thanks a lot @brambos and also @wim who obviously did great testing and preset-making job :smile:
    This is really a gamechanger, the GUI gives it a twist that is gamechanging not only for the iOS scene, but the whole music scene - there are some customizable MIDI controller apps, but none that gives so much flexibility.

Few quick ideas I noted during beta testing but didn't manage to send them yet (sorry :confused: )

• Button labels - this could be very useful for custom actions assigned on them. Many stage musicians may use Mozaic to trigger some crazy MIDI signals on a single button tap. But on a physical controller, you can put a tape with handwritten note on it. On iphone/iPad screen, it wouldn't really work :smiley:

• I love using knobs as a sequencer and there are already some beautiful examples in Mozaic for this, but it would be awesome if there is some indicator of currently played step to better understand the sequence playing. Maybe a little LED light like there's for the MIDI / beat / user signal?

• As I am writing this, I had an idea to try out if I can use emojis as labels. Yes, you can use emojis in labels. If I am able to dynamically change the labels, I will be just replacing ⚪️ to 🔴 on currently played note. So maybe the point above is not really relevant.

• A OnKnobTap and OnKnobRelease events. If you ever used hardware controller with touch-sensitive knobs (e.g. Ableton Push), you'll know how this can be useful. Imagine such mapping: knob tap start: enable filter, knob change: changes frequency, knob tap release: disable filter. Or the same for LFO->filter enabling/disabling and LFO speed. Crazy performance possibilities with even such simple setups.

• RBG (color) control on buttons. Again, a useful thing for step sequencers, clip launching, recording, distinguish between active/inactive, one-shot/loop etc etc... Still, the lightning up the pad is good to stay as is - the unlit button will just be darker shade of the color and the one that's lit up will be brighter. We'll known from Lauchpad/Ableton Push/AKAI APC...

• I was also playing with idea of "paging" - imagine you're not limited to 22 knobs or 16 pads, but you could switch between pages with another set of 22 knobs / 16 pads,... by some up/down arrow buttons. Ableton-like clip/scene launcher with buttons would be possible this way. This is again a concept from hardware MIDI controllers to solve limited amount of controls and can be very helpful. Yes, you can save each page as a separate preset and load multiple instances, but then you need to duplicate scripts and on every "global" change you'd need to change scripts for all the pages...

• Change background color to quickly distinguish the Mozaic instances meaning. Imagine a Mosaic with white background controls
      troublemaker, black one controls Rusimaker, dark blue controls Noir, etc... Or another point of view: black = mixer, green = effects, blue = bass synth macros, etc... Of course, a given set of background colors is probably better here than some RGB

...and Bram wanted to finally create an app that would kill all the endless feature requests :lol:

• @Jhnk said:
    This looks amazing! But I’m not sure what I would use it for. I just got a sensel morph and had fun designing a controller on that. Would there be any sense in combining the two I wonder? Or would that be kind of redundant? Basically, I have no idea how to combine the shit I already have and this intrigues me/confuses me even more, with all the possibilities.

yeah! Sensel morph. I love mine. how are you liking it so far?

• @wim said:

@Jocphone said:
    Thanks @brambos and @wim it sounds like I was getting Mozaic save and AU presets mixed up. Will have a better dig in later.

It’s fairly easy to save control states in an array, then to recall them. So, you do something like save and recall snapshots of the knob settings by hitting pads.

That’s actually a brilliant idea! I think I’m gonna do just that in the Dynamic Scale Quantizer script. Save a set of scale filters, then toggle different ones with the pads. Cool!

That's the sort of thing I had in mind. Being able to store different note sequences for one script etc..

I guess I should probably go and read the manual before I ask any further questions.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

This is great and I'll deff get it today!
    Bram is a staple to the iOS community and super honest about his apps!
    I've wanted to learn some coding so I feel like this is deff going to be a good way to scratch that itch while leaving the real coding to the pros haha...
    I guess im curious, and pardon my ignorance lol, if this can be made into a synth or audio effects unit... Or is it designed to purely be a midi controller and midi effects au...

One thing I would like to see it used for..
    I set up sequences in several instances of steppolyarp, routed to various synths, and use one key on the aum keyboard to trigger them all at once...
    I'm wondering if I can set up pads with mosaic to where each pad will send a midi note to different instances of a steppolyarp unit... Using one key is a bit limiting and takes a lot longer to program the spa sequences as some of them I may not want to start hitting notes until they to a second bar... so if each key or pad on mosaic can be set to trigger different spa sequences I'd be in heaven...

• @reasOne said:
    I've wanted to learn some coding so I feel like this is deff going to be a good way to scratch that itch while leaving the real coding to the pros haha...
    I guess im curious, and pardon my ignorance lol, if this can be made into a synth or audio effects unit... Or is it designed to purely be a midi controller and midi effects au...

I set up sequences in several instances of steppolyarp, routed to various synths, and use one key on the aum keyboard to trigger them all at once...
    I'm wondering if I can set up pads with mosaic to where each pad will send a midi note to different instances of a steppolyarp unit... Using one key is a bit limiting and takes a lot longer to program the spa sequences as some of them I may not want to start hitting notes until they to a second bar... so if each key or pad on mosaic can be set different sequences I'd be in heaven...

That sounds quite easy. Sending out a different note for each pad (would that also require different MIDI channels?) is probably about 5 lines of script. I could write one later today as an example.

• This. Is. Epic.

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

• @brambos said:

@reasOne said:

I'm wondering if I can set up pads with mosaic to where each pad will send a midi note to different instances of a steppolyarp unit... Using one key is a bit limiting and takes a lot longer to program the spa sequences as some of them I may not want to start hitting notes until they to a second bar... so if each key or pad on mosaic can be set different sequences I'd be in heaven...

That sounds quite easy. Sending out a different note for each pad (would that also require different MIDI channels?) is probably about 5 lines of script. I could write one later today as an example.

Yes I've tried to figure out how to do this with kb-1, but I'm pretty sure kb-1 pads are unable to send to individual channel's, you can set up a pad to trigger multiple instances of spa but each key press goes to every and all instances, no way to send pad one to just one instance and pad two to a separate one, if I'm making any sense, so mosaic for this capability alone is a must have for me! Yes if you are able to create that, that would be my weekend 😁

• edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

I really like the idea of this but not sure about the ‘time investment vs reward’ for myself.

How long would it take to build something quite complex in this like some of the midi au out there already?

Not sure if you wanted to quote my message...? Or do you mean some specific idea from my list?
    If your question is generally about the Mozaic, then there is no generic answer on how long would it take to build something like existing MIDI AU, as it really depends... To build a simple note trigger that sends various notes on separate MIDI channels, as was requested by @reasOne , is quite simple, a matter of tens of minutes at most. Any simple MIDI filter / trigger / mapping should be achievable in minutes if you're already experienced.
    But there are definitely some limitations compared to regular iOS development. You can for example replicate Autony Unreliable Sequence generator, but you obviously can't visualise the notes like it's in the plugin. But for the knobs and the note generator itself, it's possible to make, but you'd need to already have some experience to make it in less than a day and to make it as flexible as the AU plugin itself is.
    But the beauty here is that you can either edit existing presets or share it and let others come up with new ideas. That's a completely new level of creativity put into the music.

• @eross said:
    yeah! Sensel morph. I love mine. how are you liking it so far?

I haven’t had a lot of time to really get to grips with it, but so far, I love it. Especially being able to design your own mat. I MacGyvered a DJ deck out of a sheet of plastic and my girlfriend’s nail polish... what a time to be alive!
    I went ahead and bought Mozaic. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to combine it with the morph and get it to do something really bonkers.

• Wow only 6.99 USD??
    Is this an introductory price or permanent ?? Cuz that seems like a steal for this things capabilities!!
    No brainer purchase here fellas!! I'm 100% sure you'll get more than your money's worth 🤣
    I'm pretty excited about this

• You can for example replicate Autony Unreliable Sequence generator, but you obviously can't visualise the notes like it's > in the plugin.

yeah Mr Bos is keeping the rest of us on our toes that's for sure. :-)

Fortunately I reckon the one I'm working on now would be sufficiently hard work to replicate in Mosiac you'll still want to buy it ;-)

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Feature request: please make it import samples in next point release!!!!

Kidding aside. I am excited that and hope to see some presets and a pool of usecases and stuff emerge... congrats to the release 💪🏼