Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IPad Multiple Audio Outs for live performances

Is there a way to get more than 2 (left/right) audio outputs of an iPad?

I would love to have individual audio outs of each track for live performances?

I.E.
1. A click track
2. Drum track
3. Bass track
4. Pad track
5. Lead Track
6. Sample Track
7. Backing vocals
8. Loop Track

Comments

• @mistercharlie said:
    K-mix

Does K-mix do individual outs? Last time I looked it did stereo out from iOS. Maybe I'm thinking of a different board.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@mistercharlie said:
    K-mix

Does K-mix do individual outs? Last time I looked it did stereo out from iOS. Maybe I'm thinking of a different board.

Good point. I use them as stereo outs, but I think you may be able to address them separately from an interface. I’ll check.

• edited May 2019

Are you wanting these individual outs to run to a separate mixing board? If not, you could just use a midi controller to map to the individual channels in AUM, or your iOS DAW and control it that way. It would feed in to the Stereo Out Channel, but you could at least bring the channels in/out via the midi controller at your discretion.

The Akai MidiMix, Korg NanoKontrol Studio or Novation LaunchControl would do the trick in a pinch

See:

• Maybe this guy?

BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC1820, Black, 8-Channel ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXI8Y9S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1Kz3CbX6ARYYC

• edited May 2019

Yes, separate audio outs to run to front of house and the monitor mixer. The front of house mixer then has control of each backing track to be able to adjust for the venue, and the musicians on stage can have in ear monitor mixes including the click.

In the past; with a full band, I was using an iPod then iPad with the click coming from the right and the backing tracks pre-mixed coming from the left of the stereo output. I was only running keys and backing vocals on that track.

I started to add Hi Hat loops and Samples, pre-mixing became more difficult to be able to fit in all situations. The Hi Hat loops had to be up front in the mix to work with the drums live and they would cause issues with sound men and then drummer who wanted the keyboards and click but no loops in the headphones. I often just had to favor the keys in the mix.

This new project has no guitarists or bassists, just keyboards, electronic percussion, and vocals.

That MOTU 8A may work. I will have to research it a bit more

• @ralis said:
    Yes, separate audio outs to run to front of house and the monitor mixer. The front of house mixer then has control of each backing track to be able to adjust for the venue, and the musicians on stage can have in ear monitor mixes including the click.

In the past; with a full band, I was using an iPod then iPad with the click coming from the right and the backing tracks pre-mixed coming from the left of the stereo output. I was only running keys and backing vocals on that track.

I started to add Hi Hat loops and Samples, pre-mixing became more difficult to be able to fit in all situations. The Hi Hat loops had to be up front in the mix to work with the drums live and they would cause issues with sound men and then drummer who wanted the keyboards and click but no loops in the headphones. I often just had to favor the keys in the mix.

This new project has no guitarists or bassists, just keyboards, electronic percussion, and vocals.

That MOTU 8A may work. I will have to research it a bit more

Cool. Well, if you find one that will work with iOS let us know. I have a Soundcraft Signature 12MTK, and it’s supposed to offer USB Returns from macOS. I can’t get it to work yet with iOS...but i plan on trouble shooting things this weekend.

• As I research I am finding that this may not exist yet

• The iconnectauidio4+ has 4 inputs, 4 outputs plus a headphone out. And midi in/out via din or usb. And it comes with a cable to charge the ipad while being used as an interface. And can be used by two different hosts simultaneously, allowing ipad to mac audio via usb.

• @ralis said:
    As I research I am finding that this may not exist yet

Behringer X Air 18 has 2 main plus 6 auxiliary outs.

• Has anyone here actually done this?

• @ralis said:
    Has anyone here actually done this?

What asking about an interface with multiple outs? You might be the first. ;)

Seriously though. There are people here who use x air with their ipads. It is being marketed as a live mixer but it in fact is an audio interface as well.

If there's 6 auxiliary outs I'd be surprised if they didn't appear in software.

Believe

• edited May 2019

This is no mystery. If it is a class-compliant USB audio interface, as many physical outs present on the device will show up as available outputs in AUM or Audiobus.

• Here is a list (somewhat old) of audio interfaces that work on iOS and the list includes the number of ins/outs for each device http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

• @ralis said:
    Has anyone here actually done this?

I use my 16A with my iPad.

But that is for use with a mixing console. What you're proposing to do for live work isn't the best idea... though I guess it's possible.

• edited May 2019

@Hmtx said:
    This is no mystery. If it is a class-compliant USB audio interface, as many physical outs present on the device will show up as available outputs in AUM or Audiobus.

Yep - quite right!

I have an XR-18. And yes I have used it with my iPad. There are 18 inputs and outputs you can choose to send to and from iPad via USB. As @supadom says - it has 6 aux outputs. As well as the 2 Main XLRS (and also a Headphone jack)

So you can definitely get at least 8 separate physical outputs from it (possibly 2 more on the headphone jack) - if you wanted to use it just as a straight multi output box. (but there are cheaper alternatives for 8 outs like the BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC1820 @bwrobinett mentioned earlier)

In fact if I were you - I'd just get an XR-18 and use it as the mixer for your performances - plugging in any physical mics or live sources you need. The FOH engineer can than control the main XLR mix while you have 6 mono aux sends for stage monitoring (or 3 stereo IEM pairs). The mixes can be controlled by iPad, Android, Mac/PC or X-Touch hardware controller. I'd get the FOH engineer set up with an X-Touch (connects via a single Cat5 cable) and then let the band members control their own monitors on stage with Androids .. the android app has an advantage over the iPad app because there is a "monitor only" mode so the band members cannot screw up the FOH mix by accident)

You can also plug in the Powerplay headphone mixer via a digital cable which sends all of the main channels out on a separate bus allowing as many separate IEM / monitor mixes as you can afford to buy Powerplay units.

If 18 channels are not enough for your FOH mix - it might be possible to plug an X-32 into an iPad if the USB on it is class compliant. I've not had one next to my iPad long enough to try it.

• Yes the Behringer UMC1820 has 8 ins and outs, doubled if used with the ADA8200.

• Are there any videos online explaining how to set up multi outs with a USB interface ? I couldn't find any.

• @enc said:
    Are there any videos online explaining how to set up multi outs with a USB interface ? I couldn't find any.

There’s not much to set up as far as iOS is concerned. You just plug it in to the lightning port via CCK.

Main input is USB in 1/2
    Main output is USB out 1/2

If you want to use any other inputs or outputs you have to select them in the app you are using. So in audiobus or AUM you just select the output speaker and choose hardware output USB 3/4 for example. Same with inputs - just click the microphone input icon and select USB 3/4.

If the app you are using has no controls for selecting the input and output then you are stuck with USB1/2

• K-Mix’s outputs default to stereo pairs. Looks like you can address them directly vie AUM and other apps. If you want a standalone setup then this won’t work, but if you’re outputting from iOS then you should be good.

The K-Mix is an excellent device.

• edited May 2019

How many inputs and outputs you need?
    I also researched a bit into backing tracks solutions and multiple IO interfaces (from Focusrite family to Mackie DL mixers) but in the end for multichannel backing tracks I will use Mainstage.
    Some suggested App solutions with multichannel audio support could be Prime (or JamTracks AFAIR) alongside the usual suspects for more live oriented act like AUM...

The main issue (aside cable madness) is physical control vs midi din. Most of the mixers hasn’t midi din connectors and most of the interfaces lack in physical pots and are app based (so require midi control for fast adjustments)

Korg nanokontrol Studio is great solution due it has dedicated plugin for mainstage/logic addon. Also works properly (with acceptable latency) on iOS.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    How many inputs and outputs you need?
    I also researched a bit into backing tracks solutions and multiple IO interfaces (from Focusrite family to Mackie DL mixers) but in the end for multichannel backing tracks I will use Mainstage.
    Some suggested App solutions with multichannel audio support could be Prime (or JamTracks AFAIR) alongside the usual suspects for more live oriented act like AUM...

The main issue (aside cable madness) is physical control vs midi din. Most of the mixers hasn’t midi din connectors and most of the interfaces lack in physical pots and are app based (so require midi control for fast adjustments)

Korg nanokontrol Studio is great solution due it has dedicated plugin for mainstage/logic addon. Also works properly (with acceptable latency) on iOS.

I would really like the ability to have 8 separate audio tracks coming out my iPad but I could manage with 5

• edited May 2019

And inputs?

Edit: someone shared the Auria compatible interfaces which is an amazing resource for this since shows inputs outputs and other specs...
    For 5-8 I/O focusrite will be my advice. For 8 outputs (or more) there is the LP-16 and another interface from the same family with up to 8 inputs (AFAIR) with backing tracks in mind...

So detail a bit more your workflow and we will find the proper audio interface. K-mix is a good one if touch faders aren’t an issue for you...

• @mistercharlie said:
    K-Mix’s outputs default to stereo pairs. Looks like you can address them directly vie AUM and other apps. If you want a standalone setup then this won’t work, but if you’re outputting from iOS then you should be good.

The K-Mix is an excellent device.

Thanks for reporting back!

• Has anyone tried multiple interfaces over a hub?

IE, two 2/2 little guys

• @Barrage said:
    Has anyone tried multiple interfaces over a hub?

IE, two 2/2 little guys

Doesn't work.

• @BroCoast said:

@Barrage said:
    Has anyone tried multiple interfaces over a hub?

IE, two 2/2 little guys

Doesn't work.

iOS can only see one interface at a time.

• Yeh, multiple midi interfaces will work, but only one audio interface.