Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Andalusian doggie/ Piano Transmogrified

Transmogrified into a Spanish guitar and celeste courtesy BeatHawk Baroque inapp. MidEast Drummer, Cubasis MiniSampler, BeatHawk double bass, iFretless bass, RC275 AND iSymphonic Shimmered Soprano. That voice is a stunner for iOS. Out sopranos Sopranotron.

Comments

• (Shameless pr follows:)
    Hmmm, @LinearLineman, this was an amazing track. How come no one listened? Perhaps you are not the center of the universe after all.

• @LinearLineman no need to be snide. I am an old guy who craves attention from the young and strong.
    All this social media is addictive, after all. Clean up your own universe first and than you can comment on mine (dickwad) 🙏😘😈

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I can't claim to be young or strong but I listened for a while.

Mainly I clicked around to find out what you were talking about with regards to voices but didn't find anything that I might use myself.

As for the music, it sounds like you're enjoying jamming but not something that I needed to comment on. (Until this comment obviously)

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    (Shameless pr follows:)
    Hmmm, @LinearLineman, this was an amazing track. How come no one listened? Perhaps you are not the center of the universe after all.

Well, it's only been up a day, give it time.

After posting this over a month ago and getting no comments at all, I've accepted I'm usually posting into an uninterested (aside from a handful of regulars, god bless em) void: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32144/another-aphelian-inspired-horse-gas-track-foggy-valley-sunday#latest

Such is life. We carry on making music because it makes us happy.

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro, exactly my thoughts... but it surprises me (that "s" is for you... we old elephants have a long memory!) that your audience is not broader cause the music you usually make has more appeal to younger iOS musicians (or so I thought). Indeed, this is mainly a tech forum and I am grateful to be able to present my stuff here. It is a lot chillier on PianoWorld!

@Max23, that's interesting re incomplete listening not registering. Of course, it is just a little game I play to entertain myself, but if I don't get 100 hits or more (usually resulting in 25% plays) I will resort to bumping it myself in as humorous and depracating way as I can manage. Fortunately I have only had to do that a couple of times. I realize my styles are not the main musical fare here, so, again, I am glad I am tolerated at all! Knowing that I can post a finished piece here gives me a sense of completion and on to the next! I do like getting feedback (I just redid a track based on wise criticism) and, of course, it is that well documented addictive, tiny, social media inspired, endomorphic rush we all enjoy when something one does is liked (or even not liked).

@Jocphone, thanks for commenting about not commenting. Yeah, I like to know what apps were used when folks.post their music as well. If I have used an app or apps I like I always mention them in the title so those interested will listen.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @MonzoPro, exactly my thoughts... but it surprises me (that "s" is for you... we old elephants have a long memory!) that your audience is not broader cause the music you usually make has more appeal to younger iOS musicians (or so I thought).

I think it's just a case of getting heard as there's so much music on here and out there - particularly as we can all produce high quality stuff now in our own homes for a relatively small cost, but as for audiences I really just make music that I myself would listen to. I grew up as a fan of prog and early electronic music, and was a teenager in time for the early synth boom (in my first post-school synth band, our local contemporaries around the corner were Depeche Mode), so my early musical reference points were bands like Ashra Tempel, Gong, Hawkwind, Faust, Tangerine dream etc., and they now include The Orb, Nurse With Wound, Terry Riley, Mouse on Mars etc. - so all of that colours what I do.

I've got pretty broad tastes though, spent years playing in folk bands - and enjoy your music. The reason I don't do anything similar is down to lack of ability - I'm no pianist!

I just do it because it gives me masses of pleasure, scratches the creative itch, and gives me something else to think about (I love planning the next album in my head) other than the madness in the real world.

Just keep doing it, keep sharing, and hopefully someone else out there will get some pleasure from it too.

• Well, I liked it, for what it’s worth. Not my really style but I keep being impressed what you (and the IPad) can coax out of this little box.

• I just marvel at your output and in so many different genres/styles . I like your jazz pieces best. As I am getting older ( cannot get much older now) I am beginning to appreciate what I term as modern jazz. I was quite a keen trad jazz fan in my youth ( before Beatles time) and thought modern jazz was just a mess.
    Have you tried to work out which genres/style out of the many you have put up are the most liked? I suppose you would have to base that on hits and percentage of those hits that listened to the end.
    I do start most of what you produce.

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro , you slipped TerryRiley into your list (most I am unfamiliar with) but he is an exemplar of early electronic music, and played to your interest. How about Steve Reich? Not electronic, but like Terry, no?
    We are on the same page with the masses of pleasure and creative itch. The audience is secondary, just a bonus that feels good. Never having done music (mainly off the grid piano improv) that appealed to many,

I actually find my iOS stuff to be broader in it's appeal. I guess I could do the same old jarring stuff I did in jazz with iOS, but the opportunity to create beautiful sounds has shifted my focus (as well as looking for the new). The tools are designed to do so much more for a composer.... midi plug ins selecting notes to play from a many fingered piano track, every instrument under the sun (for better or worse), drum machines like Luis Martinez offers, effects like chorus and shimmer, not to mention the ability to transpose at will, arpeggiators, etc. These tools bend me back to a straight love for melody and the melodic line and to attempt to make music that is more "dramatic" or simply fun to listen to, or as beautiful as I can manage.

The piano skills I have and the focus on melody have come to my aid with iOS in a most unexpected way. I used to play and that was it (record a bit maybe). So what worked had to be close to perfect in my own listening opinion (which happened now and again with many failures in between) But now, I have in the back of my mind that the things I improvise are primarily musical material that I will have the pleasure of fashioning into more complete entities using the iOS tools at hand. That, frankly is a relief. The stretches I play can be totally flawed and I can fix them by "artful" mixing and instrumental, rhythmic and effect elaboration. In the past, playing (flawed or not) was often a joy, but there was not much takeaway whether in a more consistent result or with more listener interest. iOS has provided both for me. I have had over 11,000 plays on SoundCloud (about 1000 a month). That may not be a lot in the marketplace youbspeak of, but it is way beyond anything I would have imagined in my straight jazz days. So all is very good.

And thank you, @Philandering_Bastard. As you can see from the above, that I could reach you with my music is a great gift for me. Very much appreciated!

• Thank you for telling me that @jomodu. I think the jazz tracks may be the most popular. Abd please don't tell me you are older than I am! I value being the oldest character around here. If you are five or ten years younger, than I am proof you can, indeed, get much older. Thank you for listening!

• You know....your response to @MonzoPro makes perfect sense to me and something which I really enjoyed reading. Talk about teaching old dog new tricks, you are doing that yourself. I can really understand how satisfying this must be for you. That’s enough sentimentality from me for one day.

• @Jomodu, yes, I am an old dog learning new tricks, but... am I the oldest (Andalusian) doggie here? I still believe so. I’m glad I could convey my satisfaction and enthusiasm to you.

• I think you were playing right at the edge of your technique with those 16th note triplet patterns. I know these pieces are like snowflakes and no 2 are alike so re-visiting this drum
    pattern at a slightly slower speed probably won't happen. Or laying down the guitar and piano using straight 16th's to not sound like you're struggling would work better for me.

I'm always I'm pressed by your ability to create these tracks as imporvisations and but play a bunch of cliched scales. The theme are variation approach is your domain and you have mastered the technique to hold long runs of ideas together.

I really like that BeatHawk guitar. It suits your playing style very well as a alternative to the piano. Did you hear the @flo26 track with the BeatHawk Baroque Guitar using the new on-screen MPE Velocity Keyboard from @Blue_Mangoo yet? He gets a lot of extra touches into his guitar playing and it's a great demo for the new App.

• @McD, of course I regret not being able to play those triplets perfectly, but good enough for me. Not sure if I would characterize it as a struggle, however. I am just playing and doing the best I can. Just not playing enough to get the level of accuracy and the piano action is a bit of a hindrance (tho it is very good). If I practiced it like a piece I would do better.

Thanks for the kind words. That there are no throw aways now when I improvise is fascinating to me. I guess I have gotten somewhere 🤔🤣

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    you slipped TerryRiley into your list (most I am unfamiliar with) but he is an exemplar of early electronic music, and played to your interest. How about Steve Reich? Not electronic, but like Terry, no We are on the same page with the masses of pleasure and creative itch. The audience is secondary, just a bonus that feels good. Never having done music (mainly off the grid piano improv) that appealed to many,

Have to admit I haven’t heard much Steve Reich, must fix that.

Having played in bands where the onus is on entertaining an audience, plus making sure you don’t muck up and let your bandmates down, being able to do my own thing is a joy. No pressure, aside from a self inflicted desire to make something decent.

I played in a folky band years ago - we did over a thousand gigs. At the last gig I did with them at a posh country pub, we were having a ten minute break when a tweed-jacketed hunting type bloke at the bar, came over and shouted “come on, chop chop, entertain us - you’ve had your break”. That was it - mandolin unplugged, more beer ordered, the monkey was no longer performing for peanuts.

• @MonzoPro, aye mate I have tried it myself. Jazz bars on 52nd Street in Manhattan. Background for drinking and seduction. Well, I probably wasn’t good enough for better!

It’s stuff like turning my piano into a guitar and by some magic it works really well. It’s all these sounds and soundscapes. It’s a $7 cello from ThumbJam that sounds swell. It’s Cubasis and holding a recording studio in one hand. It’s panning the instruments. It’s rhythms from all over the world. It’s learning how to put it all together. Much better than trying to get a clunker piano to croak. All good!

• @MonzoPro said:
    I played in a folky band years ago - we did over a thousand gigs. At the last gig I did with them at a posh country pub, we were having a ten minute break when a tweed-jacketed hunting type bloke at the bar, came over and shouted “come on, chop chop, entertain us - you’ve had your break”. That was it - mandolin unplugged, more beer ordered, the monkey was no longer performing for peanuts.

I've played that gig!

I wax and wane on gigs for this reason, but I always come back to it because I have more fun working with other musicians than I do on my own. I get tired of my own ideas. I repeat myself too much. I know all my own tricks, and while I still surprise myself from time to time, I prefer the injection of fresh thought from a collaborator.

That being said - finding a collaborator (live or otherwise) who's on the same page you are is a trick I've still not mastered. Still on the eternal search for that musical soulmate that makes all my turds sound like diamonds...

• @LinearLineman said:
    @MonzoPro, aye mate I have tried it myself. Jazz bars on 52nd Street in Manhattan. Background for drinking and seduction. Well, I probably wasn’t good enough for better!

It’s stuff like turning my piano into a guitar and by some magic it works really well. It’s all these sounds and soundscapes. It’s a $7 cello from ThumbJam that sounds swell. It’s Cubasis and holding a recording studio in one hand. It’s panning the instruments. It’s rhythms from all over the world. It’s learning how to put it all together. Much better than trying to get a clunker piano to croak. All good!

Thumbjam is brilliant, I love the sounds on that app - very underrated.

We have some incredible tools at our disposal now, and I'm stuffed to the brim with DAW's and synths. After a week of 'house stuff' - ripping out and replacing floors, sorting out exterior render and fascias, decorating etc. and doing my 'day job' in the evenings, I'm treating myself to a 'music day' today, and getting to grips with my latest software gadgets.

@Daveypoo said:

@MonzoPro said:

I've played that gig!

I wax and wane on gigs for this reason, but I always come back to it because I have more fun working with other musicians than I do on my own. I get tired of my own ideas. I repeat myself too much. I know all my own tricks, and while I still surprise myself from time to time, I prefer the injection of fresh thought from a collaborator.

That being said - finding a collaborator (live or otherwise) who's on the same page you are is a trick I've still not mastered. Still on the eternal search for that musical soulmate that makes all my turds sound like diamonds...

I left my last band last year, and while it was fun to play with a bunch of like-minded guys, there's the inevitable politics and pecking orders that I really didn't enjoy, and at the end of it all I'm left with nothing to show for all that hard work.

I think online collaborations are the way to go - file swapping, joint projects...avoids the politics but with all the benefits of working with another musician.