Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2.0.1 update available.

Comments

• Really significant update! So far, overall it seems like he did the midi stuff well. Intuitive

• I thought I would be able to load iaa into ns2 with this update, but seems not...
    Is it letting you record midi now from the au keyboards and midi sequencers ? Didn't get a chance to test before work

• edited May 2019

@reasOne said:
    I thought I would be able to load iaa into ns2 with this update, but seems not...

No, IAA suport not planned... (at least in term of loading IAA into NS - you can load NS itself as IAA generstor now in AUM or ther IAA compatible host - but this is just result of added Audiobus compatibility :)

Is it letting you record midi now from the au keyboards and midi sequencers ? Didn't get a chance to test before work

Not directly for now (still in todo list), but very easy to do with MIDI Tools Route plugin, check this video :

• @reasOne said:
    I thought I would be able to load iaa into ns2 with this update, but seems not...

I think you can send to it from AB3. This should let you pipe IAA into NS2

• Happy about Audiobus, re-installed, now I can record Au midi with midiflow adapter (or should be able to haven't tried it yet)

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

(Can't load StepBud. Can someone confirm please.)
    Edit:
    Apparently loads fine today... strange

• edited May 2019

@dustgod said:
    Happy about Audiobus, re-installed, now I can record Au midi with midiflow adapter (or should be able to haven't tried it yet)

Check my video above, it's lot better to record it directly in NS to other track just usimg Route plugin ;)

Also midiflow (or other middleware) app is not needed anymore for recording of midi from external apps, because NS now provides virtual MIDI IN port "Nanostudio 2" whivh you can choose in midi out settings of any external app, somyou can send MIDI directl from any app to NS (KB-1 for example, or other)

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@dustgod said:
    Happy about Audiobus, re-installed, now I can record Au midi with midiflow adapter (or should be able to haven't tried it yet)

Yes. Though MidiFlow adapter is no longer needed for that kind of thing since some time now.

• edited May 2019

@wim said:

@dustgod said:

Yes. Though MidiFlow adapter is no longer needed for that kind of thing since some time now.

no external standalone app is needed at all for recording of AU MIDIfx output now, just Route plugin :-) you can stay in the box :-)

• Thanks for the AB plumbing record explanation guys great stuff.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @dendy said:

@reasOne said:

No, IAA suport not planned... (at least in term of loading IAA into NS - you can load NS itself as IAA generstor now in AUM or ther IAA compatible host - but this is just result of added Audiobus compatibility :)

Not directly for now (still in todo list), but very easy to do with MIDI Tools Route plugin, check this video :

Thank ya man I'll check that out!

• @EyeOhEss said:

@reasOne said:

This is the thing keeping me from buying ns2. Half of my favourite, most used apps are IAA. And new ones seem to appear still every month. Koala noticeably recently...

Yeah, It sucks they aren’t AU (and some have AU versions but they’re limited) and IAA can be a lame workflow compared to AU, but having to use Audiobus on top of that is an even worse daw workflow!! Not to mention, a purchase I don’t really require.

Hopefully down the road after all the other features are added, IAA support might show up if dev has a little less work on his desk.

Ya there are deff some great iaa apps out there, I wish they were au but for now just gotta do the work arounds as it seems iaa causes a lot of grief in programming daw like apps

• Yay! So happy to be able to use StepPolyArp Unit now. B)

• Reminder to update App Store reviews, especially if you were one of those turkeys that complained about no AudioBus support (like I did).

• Awesome post .. just for my info how did you figure the 32 note polyphony part .. especially the #32

@Rodolfo said:
    Well, this was a quick answer from the dev. Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

• edited May 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

That's a shame. Maybe there's a workaround until the fix with a Streambyter script and multiple instances? Or maybe you've tried that idea...

I haven’t tried Streambyter, just tested also with an external MIDI track to AUM with R275 loaded on it and it works fine, so I guess it’s something internal to NS2 on the coding, hardly fixable with a plugin, but yes, there could be a workaround...

if it’s polyphony over a single instance the main issue, then I’m sure Nic at audieonic could create a simple script which sends the notes over 32 off to another instance, would be fairly straightforward for his skills I’m sure. Good to hear a fix is coming though. :)

But this would mean multiple AU instances of AU pianos which challenge limited AU memory as it is.

If it’s a pro device it should be fine. I’ve done this with 2 AudioLayer pianos which were very large, not for reasons of polyphony but for layering. Always worth experimentation to see what’s possible. I'm not saying it will definitely work, but worth a try :)

• @hisdudeness said:
    Awesome post .. just for my info how did you figure the 32 note polyphony part .. especially the #32

@Rodolfo said:

Well, while I was playing I noticed some weird behavior on my pedal and I thought it was a cable problem or a pedal malfunction, but it only happened after several notes in a row and not in short passages. So I decided to count the notes.
    The polyphony issue can be checked just pressing the pedal and playing a repetitive 4 notes chord with both hands (8 notes in total), you’ll hear that after the 4th repetition (4x2x4=32) it stops working properly. You can also play a long legato arpeggio over several octaves on the keyboard, you’ll notice that after you play the 32nd note polyphony is exhausted.

• edited May 2019

@recccp said:
    Edit:

I’m still encountering intermittent problems with StepBud in NS2, even after both are updated. Sometimes it works, other times....bizarre and unpredictable stuff. For examples:

-when controlling Troublemaker, the Volume knob swings constantly, as if connected to an LFO ~1hz.

-when controlling Obsidian, it sounds like the note pitch is affecting some other parameter, like cutoff or wavetable position.

-when controlling Poison 202, I get note repeats where I haven’t programmed any.

-the NS2 Keyboard looks like I’m pressing almost all the keys at once

Can anyone confirm weird things like this?!?

• edited May 2019

@Shabudua said:

@recccp said:
    Edit:

I’m still encountering intermittent problems with StepBud in NS2, even after both are updated. Sometimes it works, other times....bizarre and unpredictable stuff. For examples:

-when controlling Troublemaker, the Volume knob swings constantly, as if connected to an LFO ~1hz.

-when controlling Obsidian, it sounds like the note pitch is affecting some other parameter, like cutoff or wavetable position.

-when controlling Poison 202, I get note repeats where I haven’t programmed any.

-the NS2 Keyboard looks like I’m pressing almost all the keys at once

Can anyone confirm weird things like this?!?

StepBud doesn't work properly in NS2 at all for me... It seems like StepBud is sending a million note ons for every step. FWIW StepBud works perfectly in AUM when I replicate the same setup.

More info in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31727/work-in-progress-new-auv3-midi-sequencer-app#latest

• As more of an audio guy, I bought NS with faith that audio would be added soon. I know AB is just one step towards that but it’s a huge game changey step!! Super excited! The barrier is broken.

• @Rodolfo said:

@hisdudeness said:
    Awesome post .. just for my info how did you figure the 32 note polyphony part .. especially the #32

@Rodolfo said:

Well, while I was playing I noticed some weird behavior on my pedal and I thought it was a cable problem or a pedal malfunction, but it only happened after several notes in a row and not in short passages. So I decided to count the notes.
    The polyphony issue can be checked just pressing the pedal and playing a repetitive 4 notes chord with both hands (8 notes in total), you’ll hear that after the 4th repetition (4x2x4=32) it stops working properly. You can also play a long legato arpeggio over several octaves on the keyboard, you’ll notice that after you play the 32nd note polyphony is exhausted.

Wow you actually checked the polyphonic capacity note by note! Kudos!

• This is a great update and I've been getting into NS2 a bit more now :)
    I still find some of the workflow a bit frustrating though in some things. Is there a shortcut for going from the midiFX page to the synth view and back again? Seems you have to go to the mixer view first each time.

• @Carnbot said:
    This is a great update and I've been getting into NS2 a bit more now :)
    I still find some of the workflow a bit frustrating though in some things. Is there a shortcut for going from the midiFX page to the synth view and back again? Seems you have to go to the mixer view first each time.

Unfortunately no, but at least you can from mixer view tap that small "MIDI FX" text on left side of channel stripe and then it jumps directly to MIDI FX tab ..

• Thanks, that's what I've been doing but hopefully there'll be a shortcut one day. If you're working with a sequencer it can be quite a lot of jumping around.

@dendy said:

@Carnbot said:
    This is a great update and I've been getting into NS2 a bit more now :)

Unfortunately no, but at least you can from mixer view tap that small "MIDI FX" text on left side of channel stripe and

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah it's why I prefer AUM/ape/AB3 for beginning projects, which require a lot less menu navigation for these things. However, when you need to arrange something then it works well.

• @Carnbot said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah it's why I prefer AUM/ape/AB3 for beginning projects, which require a lot less menu navigation for these things. However, when you need to arrange something then it works well.

NS2 is usually 1 - 2 taps to get anywhere. Other apps are no better in that respect.

• edited May 2019

@anickt
    NS2 is usually 1 - 2 taps to get anywhere. Other apps are no better in that respect.

I understand Carnbot's issue. It's "just" 2 taps from synth (or generaly any) screen go back to mixer detail tab - but i understand that it needs some level of attention "where i should tap to get exactly at place where i was before" - which can work as distraction especially if you're in "creative flow" mental stage ..

@Carnbot we will think about "one tap" solution for returning back to track detail view tab from synth / sequencer / part editor screens .. for sure it would be handy, there are some ideas how to do it - we need to evaluate them.

Btw. any UI/UX idea is always welcome, but ideally directly on NS forum as separate thread so we can discuss it and most importantly Matt can check that discussion, all ideas and opinions and eventually put it to his queue ;-)