Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

So just how good is Polyphase? I think I'm ready for it but am trying to be prudent in my appoholism

Curious how you will respond for those of you who have spent quite a bit of time with it. Thanks so much!

Comments

• Curious too.
    I have steppolyarp, atom, fugue, rozeta and others haha do I need it ??

• I have Rozetta, Cality and Autony

• I love it.
    It is very powerful, and I feel it has unique features and workflow.
    But, it is not AU, whereas the others mentioned mostly are.
    I have all those other ones, too. :)

• edited May 2019

I have Rozeta, Cality, Autony, StepPolyArp, FugueMachine, Aphelian... and PolyPhase

Bassline and Collider are the sequencers I’m assuming that we’re talking about. Bassline and Collider have lots of scales and individual ways of setting up a simple groove or phrase, and in the case of Basline a way of chaining them together. Autony is most similar to Roseta. Set up a phrase and nudge it around a bit and let the algorithm do what it does. For me Cality plays a supportive role to Autony. Shove notes into it and move the knobs till it works. Which doesn’t take much effort, and things can get weirdly but pleasantly out of control.

As far as my own opinion goes Bassline is great for those 303 style super funky phrasing. Autony works best for leads and melody. Collider is better for tamer but more smoother phrasing in a baseline.

StepPolyArp is a monster. Randomization, chaining, scales, step control per lane, different articulations of steps, ratcheting , and more. It’s a beast on its own. Probably more like Autony than anything else but with a LOT more options. You could do a whole song with one instance of it. With the others you’d have to chain some together or fiddle with them live. But you will have to work with it.

FugueMachine is closest in feel to StepPolyArp. What Fugue’s strong point is YOU put in a line and it outputs in up to four channels different timings and directions of your phrase. Um, just like a fugue (see Bach) ;) No randomization, but with ways to move the key around as well as the tempo of the individual parts with multiplying or dividing and voicing per part. It’s almost magic dumping in random notes and having something coherent come out.

It’s been noted in other threads that PolyPhase tends to be, to of the box, more meditative in its output. But with some small amount of work you can get it to do what you want. ALL the controls are there and you can easily freeze a track when you find something you like. Or draw in your own notes and adjust them. The built in synth engine is pretty damn nice. No AU3. Stand alone and IAA with MIDI out per each of the four channels. Similar to but NOT the same a FugueMachine. It has directional and tempo controls like Fugue. However it can be continuously autonomously generative. This is its strength.

I won’t go into Aphelian here but its the bomb!

• I really like PolyPhase. It’s built with AudioKit, so when Synth One and D1 get updated with Auv3, presumably all AudioKit wrapped apps will have Auv3 after some minor tweaks.

• I have it, fired it up a few times after each update but it’s my least favourite of similar apps.

• I absolutely love Polyphase. It is my go to sequencer. It always produces wonderful unpredicted results. I use the piano in Nanostudio and find that it is best suited to having all its outputs go to the same audio.

• @audiblevideo said:
    I have Rozeta, Cality, Autony, StepPolyArp, FugueMachine, Aphelian... and PolyPhase

Bassline and Collider are the sequencers I’m assuming that we’re talking about. Bassline and Collider have lots of scales and individual ways of setting up a simple groove or phrase, and in the case of Basline a way of chaining them together. Autony is most similar to Roseta. Set up a phrase and nudge it around a bit and let the algorithm do what it does. For me Cality plays a supportive role to Autony. Shove notes into it and move the jobs till it works. Which doesn’t take much effort, and things can get weirdly but pleasantly out of control.

As far as my own opinion goes Bassline is great for those 303 style super funky phrasing. Autony works best for leads and melody. Collider is better for tamer but more smoother phrasing in a baseline.

StepPolyArp is a monster. Randomization, chaining, scales, step control per lane, different articulations of steps, ratcheting , and more. It’s a beast on its own. Probably more like Autony than anything else but with a LOT more options. You could do a whole song with one instance of it. With the others you’d have to chain some together or fiddle with them live. But you will have to work with it.

FugueMachine is closest in feel to StepPolyArp. What Fugue’s strong point is YOU put in a line and it outputs in up to four channels different timings and directions of your phrase. Um, just like a fugue (see Bach) ;) No randomization, but with ways to move the key around as well as the tempo of the individual parts with multiplying or dividing and voicing per part. It’s almost magic dumping in random notes and having something coherent come out.

It’s been noted in other threads that PolyPhase tends to be, to of the box, more meditative in its output. But with some small amount of work you can get it to do what you want. ALL the controls are there and you can easily freeze a track when you find something you like. Or draw in your own notes and adjust them. The built in sequencer is pretty damn nice. No AU3. Stand alone and IAA with MIDI out per each of the four channels. Similar to but NOT the same a FugueMachine. It has directional and tempo controls like Fugue. However it can be continuously autonomously generative. This is its strength.

I won’t go into Aphelian here but its the bomb!

Wow! Thanks so much for the in depth overview of all these. Super helpful!!

• @Metalman said:
    I absolutely love Polyphase. It is my go to sequencer. It always produces wonderful unpredicted results. I use the piano in Nanostudio and find that it is best suited to having all its outputs go to the same audio.

I sorta second that... I find it’s hard to get it to sound cohesive driving 4 sound sources, but driving 2 seems nice... I send the top, red one, to either a bass or drone (depending on tempo/mood) and send the other 3 (maybe also attach the red one as a separate midi input) to a poly synth.

That seems to be the fastest way to get something useful, and faster to set up and tweak that sending chords to multiple instances of SPAU.

• edited May 2019

I have most of these apps, so far what I use Poly Phase for the most is when I want to try out some synth combos, but don't feel all that inspired to write anything that moment.

Also I will frequently pull up one of a few presets I've made in Audiobus when I want some music on in the background that I can control, i.e. to make more upbeat instrumental music than ambient or something that doesn't illicit active listening or distract me from work.

There are a ton of options for making the 3 slave tracks do different things, as well as global parameters you can change on the fly like:
    filling any gaps by sustaining the notes,
    making everything follow the master,
    making changes occur incrementally,
    and a ton of scale, chord and randomization options.

As mentioned above, it's easy to freeze anything you like and you can also feed it a part from another source. All and all a unique beast IMHO.

• edited May 2019

Double post