Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

HW synth that doubles as midi controller for iOS?

Any synths that I can also use to send MIDI CC from the knobs to control iOS apps?

Bus powered would be great
Cheap would be great
Keyboard would be nice but not necessary

Behringer Neutron would be perfect but I guess the knobs don't send MIDI?

Comments

• edited May 2019

You need a novation x-station. Seriously awesome with iOS since it doubles as an audio AND midi interface. The synth is quite nice too and has lots of effects that fill in the gaps well.

(so go buy mine! : https://reverb.com/item/23684592-novation-x-station-49)

• @legsmechanical said:
    You need a novation x-station. Seriously awesome with iOS since it doubles as an audio AND midi interface. The synth is quite nice too and has lots of effects that fill in the gaps well.

Can the X-Station be powered by the iPad?

• edited May 2019

What about the microfreak? It works as a class compliant usb (midi) device: the knobs send midi CC, and beyond the keyboard, you get a midi sequencer and arpeggiator as bonus. Not to mention it's hard to beat this much HW synth for the money. (Might just be me but as a HW synth, I'd take the microfreak over the neutron any day...)

• edited May 2019

With Komplete Kontrol, you can make multiple pages of midi mappings. Edit: nevermind, re-read, looking for a hardware synth.

• @eddielovesyou said:

@legsmechanical said:

Can the X-Station be powered by the iPad?

I don’t believe so. Not sure any synth can tho.

• edited May 2019

Moog Minitaur or Sirin definitely will. They also have CV to MIDI which is pretty unique.

Microfreak seems like a good choice for this purpose.

• edited May 2019

@legsmechanical said:

I have the Novation XioSynth which is kind of a a baby X-Station. It has a hardware synth, midi interface and audio interface built in and can be battery powered.

It’s a shame Novation don’t make anything like the xio or x-station anymore.

• Almost any modern synth that has presets works as a midi controller, and sends midi CC’s when you turn a knob. Any synth that responds to midi CC’s usually sends them as well. Any app where you can map a cc to a knob should work, as far as controlling it from a hardware synth.

Things get complicated if the app doesn’t do midi learn for the knobs, then you would need either a hardware synth where you could change the CC #’s (unlikely) or a midi utility, like midifire, to translate on cc (on the synth) to another cc (on the app). I believe the iconnect interfaces include some deep options for remapping CC #’s within the interface.

I’ve done some experiments mapping knobs on hardware synths to iPad apps. It works pretty well. One piece of advice someone had here, that was kind of good, was to not go crazy trying to map every knob you can, at first, but starting with a few important ones, and adding them as you need. Just starting with the ‘action’ knobs.

• @ohwell said:
    What about the microfreak? It works as a class compliant usb (midi) device: the knobs send midi CC, and beyond the keyboard, you get a midi sequencer and arpeggiator as bonus. Not to mention it's hard to beat this much HW synth for the money. (Might just be me but as a HW synth, I'd take the microfreak over the neutron any day...)

Yes that one is on my radar; wasn't sure about the knobs sending CC. Thanks