Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioBus preset: do I have to save Xequence project seperately??

I bought AudioBus and Xequence some time ago.. didn’t use it that much.. I just got my new iPad and went crazy buying apps :-)

Today I tried working on a project but when I saved my AudioBus preset it didn’t save my Xequence project…

Is this normal? I thought that AudioBus kinda works like a DAW, saving everything in 1 project file. So when loading the AudioBus preset everything is there: the sequence, the synth presets, fx settings etc.

Do I have to save the AudioBus preset + the Xequence project seperately everytime?

Comments

• Hi, normally yes, the project should be saved as part of the Audiobus preset inside the preset itself. There have been a few users that reported that this "sometimes" doesn't work.

I've spent days debugging this and unfortunately, I was never able to reproduce the problem and nobody could find a particular set of steps or configuration that would make the issue appear every time, so all fixes I did were "blind" and it seems to still occur sometimes.

So in your case, all I can recommend is saving the project separately inside Xequence just in case.

If you can make it happen every time, I would be interested in your setup / steps.

However, it might also be an Audiobus problem. Not sure.

• I haven’t had this issue since one of the last updates. State saving has worked fine. I do still save each project just in case (or in case I want to use it without Audiobus).

I have seen a few instances where the preset doesn’t load the midi like it should. Reloading the preset fixes this.

• edited May 2019

I tried it again.. When I save the AudioBus preset and quit, after opening AudioBus again eveything is fine: the Xequence project is there.
    But when I reboot my iPad and load the AudioBus preset it won't load the Xequence project...

• @SlowwFloww said:
    I tried it again.. When I save the AudioBus preset and quit, after opening AudioBus again eveything is fine: the Xequence project is there.
    But when I reboot my iPad and load the AudioBus preset it won't load the Xequence project...

Even if you reload the preset? That usually takes care of it for me.

• edited May 2019

I did some more testing.. saved some dummy AB presets after that.. restarted the iPad..

It works now as it should :-)

• The confusing part is when a AB preset is saved, no Xequence project is created. Where is that Xequence sequence data stored??

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@SlowwFloww said:
    The confusing part is when a AB preset is saved, no Xequence project is created. Where is that Xequence sequence data stored??

In the Audiobus preset itself.

• edited May 2019

@SlowwFloww said:
    The confusing part is when a AB preset is saved, no Xequence project is created. Where is that Xequence sequence data stored??

The data is stored inside the Audiobus preset in the same format it would normally reside in the .xeqproj file. It is indeed not saved anywhere else. So, if you want to be extra-safe, make an actual "Save as..." from inside Xequence from time to time.

Glad it's sorted for now though. As I said, the problem is very rare and I've pulled my almost non-existing hair out finding it. It is the only known bug in Xequence and that's why it's extra annoying :) All I could settle on in the end is that Audiobus simply sometimes doesn't seem to tell Xequence to load the project from the preset. It just doesn't get that notification, or Xequence is not (yet) listening to it (correctly). That's why I said I'm not sure if it isn't an Audiobus problem. But Audiobus is an app of high technical quality, so I don't want to suggest the problem is in there unless I'm absolutely sure :)

• Just how does one survive in life without reflexive finger pointing? I take it you’re not in management then?

• @wim said:
    Just how does one survive in life without reflexive finger pointing? I take it you’re not in management then?

I'm neither in management, nor am I being managed. Maybe that's an advantage :D

• edited May 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@SlowwFloww said:

The data is stored inside the Audiobus preset in the same format it would normally reside in the .xeqproj file. It is indeed not saved anywhere else. So, if you want to be extra-safe, make an actual "Save as..." from inside Xequence from time to time.

Glad it's sorted for now though. As I said, the problem is very rare and I've pulled my almost non-existing hair out finding it. It is the only known bug in Xequence and that's why it's extra annoying :) All I could settle on in the end is that Audiobus simply sometimes doesn't seem to tell Xequence to load the project from the preset. It just doesn't get that notification, or Xequence is not (yet) listening to it (correctly). That's why I said I'm not sure if it isn't an Audiobus problem. But Audiobus is an app of high technical quality, so I don't want to suggest the problem is in there unless I'm absolutely sure :)

I strongly suspect that this is happening to me with AUM sometimes (suspicious enough that I usually load AUM internally from its own save system). Very rare event though

• Just a heads up: Yesterday's Audiobus update should fix this once and for all. If anyone still encounters missing Xequence projects in newly saved Audiobus presets, please let me know. (note that OLD presets are PERMANENTLY broken because it's not the LOADING that failed, but the SAVING).