Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modular Synthesis, How To

For those looking for the Synth Secrets PDF, all 63 of the original articles are available on the Sound On Sound site via this search results page:

https://goo.gl/1Hdntw

Quite honestly there's little else out there as free resources that are better at teaching the fundamentals of synthesis - modular or otherwise. It's certainly no idiots guide and it can be a little wordy in places but it really does cover all the bases. The only area where it's comparatively weak is 'east coast' synthesis methods. But IMO Buchla/Serge synthesis methods are easier to learn if you already have a good working knowledge of subtractive and FM. Especially with a modern-day 'zero coast' mindset where you're creating complex source material via FM and waveshaping and then mixing it up with subtractive techniques.

Another great resource is Chris Meyers series of Lynda.com videos. Forget the Arturia Modular ones, but both the Moog Mother-32 and it's Eurorack 'Learning Modular Synthesis' follow-on are excellent. These obviously aren't free but they're worth paying for.

https://www.lynda.com/Chris-Meyer/137-1.html

Comments

• Over the years there have been a number of modular apps on iOS including Audulus, zMors Modular, MobMuPlat, KQ MiniSynth, Ripplemaker and AnalogKit. They can be an alternative, a way to integrate, learn about, or model Eurorack modular setups. The Audulus forum has a number of members with extensive experience with modular hardware too.

Some iOS synth apps utilize modular synthesis in their design and controls too such as iVCS3, iMS20, and Thor which can be more approachable to someone with a working knowledge of modular audio.

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    For those looking for the Synth Secrets PDF, all 63 of the original articles are available on the Sound On Sound site via this search results page:

https://goo.gl/1Hdntw

Quite honestly there's little else out there as free resources that are better at teaching the fundamentals of synthesis - modular or otherwise. It's certainly no idiots guide and it can be a little wordy in places but it really does cover all the bases. The only area where it's comparatively weak is 'east coast' synthesis methods. But IMO Buchla/Serge synthesis methods are easier to learn if you already have a good working knowledge of subtractive and FM. Especially with a modern-day 'zero coast' mindset where you're creating complex source material via FM and waveshaping and then mixing it up with subtractive techniques.

Another great resource is Chris Meyers series of Lynda.com videos. Forget the Arturia Modular ones, but both the Moog Mother-32 and it's Eurorack 'Learning Modular Synthesis' follow-on are excellent. These obviously aren't free but they're worth paying for.

https://www.lynda.com/Chris-Meyer/137-1.html

I’ve added your modular information and my modular information to the wiki.

• @LinearLineman said:
    The only area where it's comparatively weak is 'east coast' synthesis methods. But IMO Buchla/Serge synthesis methods are easier to learn if you already have a good working knowledge of subtractive and FM. Especially with a modern-day 'zero coast' mindset where you're creating complex source material via FM and waveshaping and then mixing it up with subtractive techniques.

That should say “west coast synthesis”. Buchla, Serge etc. grew out of the San Francisco Tape Music Center.
    / pedant off.

Otherwise spot on.

• Uhhhh... I didn’t post this.... uhhhh....wtf?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Uhhhh... I didn’t post this.... uhhhh....wtf?

What do you mean that you didn't post this?

• @espiegel123 .... you know me a bit... this ain’t me talkin. I checked it out with Michael. He thinks someone may have hacked my user info.... but to post this thread? Doesn’t make sense. Sounds like a practical joke by @McD! Really though, it is rather strange.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @espiegel123 .... you know me a bit... this ain’t me talkin. I checked it out with Michael. He thinks someone may have hacked my user info.... but to post this thread? Doesn’t make sense. Sounds like a practical joke by @McD! Really though, it is rather strange.

Weird.