Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Send tempo to visual metronome via BT MIDI

Hey, I‘m looking for a good way to send the current tempo from something like AUM or AB on iPad to another iDevice over bluetooth in order to visualize the tempo for live playing with my band. Does anyone know how to go about this? Any recommendations for the metronome app? Is there something specifically made for this purpose?

Comments

• Search for "On the 8" on the appstore.
    It does exactly that.
    Use the iPhone's Accessibility Zoom if the BPM display is too small.

• edited May 2019

@rs2000 said:
    Search for "On the 8" on the appstore.
    It does exactly that.
    Use the iPhone's Accessibility Zoom if the BPM display is too small.

Very cool, thanks for that! I’ll give it a go. It’s free :smiley:

• So I got it working. It counts bars, not beats unfortunately, as far as I can tell. I would like to display it like a metronome, counting quarter notes or other subdivisions. Seems weird that isn’t possible with “on the 8”. Maybe I’ll try to contact the dev about it, if I can find his contact anywhere. Any other contenders I could try?

• I found @audeonic ‘s MidiMetro which kind of does what I want except there’s no usable visual display of the beats at all. And no integrated bluetooth support either, it seems.

• Metronome by SoundBrenner. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metronome-by-soundbrenner/id1048954353

This is really a great tool. and it is free. It has tons of metronome options for verbal callout, time signature, divisions, etc.
    Most importantly (for your use) it receives tempo over Ableton Link. And it can give a visual flash on 1 or on each beat.

• edited May 2019

Just for fun, I tried to set up Bluetooth using “Metronome by SoundBrenner”. It seems to work, but not very well since the BPM fluctuates with every beat. And each beat is slightly late on the slave device. I would not rely on it for a live performance with a band.

Ableton Link (which uses wifi) is far more accurate in this app, I can't detect any fluctuation; the connected devices are all in perfect sync. Is there some reason you would not want to use Link?

• @Hmtx said:
    Just for fun, I tried to set up Bluetooth. It seems to work, just OK since the BPM fluctuates with every beat. And each beat is slightly late on the slave device. I would not rely on it for a live performance with a band.

Ableton Link (which uses wifi) is far more accurate, I can't detect any fluctuation; the connected devices are all in perfect sync. Is there some you would not want to use Link?

It completely depends on the apps you use. Some are better with MIDI Clock over Bluetooth, some are better with Ableton LINK over WiFi.

• Thanks, Soundbrenner works the best for me so far. Midi clock doesn’t seem to be accurate enough on any of those but ableton link is much tighter. I was hoping to be able to avoid having to have WiFi for live situations, though.

• @Hmtx said:
    Metronome by SoundBrenner. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/metronome-by-soundbrenner/id1048954353

This is really a great tool. and it is free. It has tons of metronome options for verbal callout, time signature, divisions, etc.
    Most importantly (for your use) it receives tempo over Ableton Link. And it can give a visual flash on 1 or on each beat.

I thought I had tried every variation of a metronome on the store, but I had missed this one. So far this seems really great.

• @Munibeast said:
    Thanks, Soundbrenner works the best for me so far. Midi clock doesn’t seem to be accurate enough on any of those but ableton link is much tighter. I was hoping to be able to avoid having to have WiFi for live situations, though.

If you have to use WiFi, setting up your own standalone WiFi network is easy with something like the HooToo Filehub, Wireless Travel Router or the HooToo TM-02 Wireless Travel Router is a great way to go. Your WiFi setup can be private, uncluttered by other traffic, and protected from the Internet (or not if you desire). They can be used anywhere.

The first is also a battery bank and file hub. The second is tiny, weighs nothing, but requires external power from a USB plug or battery bank.

• @wim said:

@Munibeast said:
    Thanks, Soundbrenner works the best for me so far. Midi clock doesn’t seem to be accurate enough on any of those but ableton link is much tighter. I was hoping to be able to avoid having to have WiFi for live situations, though.

If you have to use WiFi, setting up your own standalone WiFi network is easy with something like the HooToo Filehub, Wireless Travel Router or the HooToo TM-02 Wireless Travel Router is a great way to go. Your WiFi setup can be private, uncluttered by other traffic, and protected from the Internet (or not if you desire). They can be used anywhere.

The first is also a battery bank and file hub. The second is tiny, weighs nothing, but requires external power from a USB plug or battery bank.

Wouldn't a personal WiFi hotspot enabled on the iPhone offer lower latency?

• Never tried it. I think I remember there needing to be cell phone signal to do that or something?

• @wim said:
    Never tried it. I think I remember there needing to be cell phone signal to do that or something?

It works even with "No Service" shown.

• It would be interesting to test relative performance. Doubt I will though...

• @wim said:
    It would be interesting to test relative performance. Doubt I will though...

Indeed! I don't own any of these gadgets but ad-hoc WiFi usually has lower latency.
    It'll depend on the apps used as well. I'm satisfied with MIDI Clock over Bluetooth routed to Genome, Gadget or Groove Rider.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

Indeed! I don't own any of these gadgets but ad-hoc WiFi usually has lower latency.
    It'll depend on the apps used as well. I'm satisfied with MIDI Clock over Bluetooth routed to Genome, Gadget or Groove Rider.

How are you doing that?

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

How are you doing that?

I plug my Quiccos into the Digitakt, connect them via the Bluetooth MIDI dialog and use the iPad as a Clock slave. Works with basically any MIDI hardware that has arp or sequencing capability.