Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Convolution reverb AUV3

Hello

I am interested in making stagelight my main DAW but I need to find a good convolution reverb that can be run as AUV3 ~ has anyone made one yet?

Thanks so much!!

Comments

• Is there any convolution reverb on iOS? I am highly interested because I have no clue what it is but I would looove to know what the fuzz is all about...

• I could be wrong, but not aware of any AUv3 convolution reverb.

There's this:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rooms-audio-recorder/id572894725?mt=8

• @david_2017 said:
    Is there any convolution reverb on iOS? I am highly interested because I have no clue what it is but I would looove to know what the fuzz is all about...

Here is a page about convolution reverbs:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution_reverb

There are several non-AU convolution reverbs and at least one hybrid convolution/algorithmic reverb.

Pure convolution reverbs that I know of (non-AU) are:

• Altispace
    • iConvolver
    • Rooms

Virsyn's Audio Reverb is (I believe, someone correct me if I am wrong) a hybrid convolution/algorithmic reverb that uses IR for the early reflections.

Auria Pro has a convolution reverb which is excellent. I think it is an IAP.

There is another app that handles short impulse responses that can be use for speaker cabinet emulation called Fiddlicator. It is free and high-quality. So an excellent choice for non-reverb IR applications.

• Apps (no au3)

AltiSpace
    Rooms
    Fiddlicator
    iConvolver

Definition

In audio signal processing, convolution reverb is a process used for digitally simulating the reverberation of a physical or virtual space through the use of software profiles; a piece of software that creates a simulation of an audio environment. It is based on the mathematical convolution operation, and uses a pre-recorded audio sample of the impulse response of the space being modeled. To apply the reverberation effect, the impulse-response recording is first stored in a digital signal-processing system. This is then convolved with the incoming audio signal to be processed. The process of convolution multiplies each sample of the audio to be processed with the samples in the impulse response file.

downloads

https://www.joshuacasper.com/max-4-live-tutorials/convolution-reverb-impulse-responses/

DIY

https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Reverb-Impulses/

NOTES
    You don't need AU3 for reverb since it should sit at the end of you mix unless you are doing weird trippy special effects. If this is the case there are plenty of reverbs for that

GliderVerb by amazing noises
    Bleass reverb
    Audioreverb Virsyn
    Stereo Reverb 4Pockets
    Shimmer (also 4Pockets)

Kleverb Kelvgrand
    Eos2 Audio Damage
    etc...

• Also used in mic modeling software such as MicRoom and MicSwap

• @audiblevideo said:
    NOTES
    You don't need AU3 for reverb since it should sit at the end of you mix unless you are doing weird trippy special effects. If this is the case there are plenty of reverbs for that

This is interesting, I would never run my whole mix through a (single) reverb unless I was using it in, say a movie and wanted to place the music physically in the scene. I’m much more used to considering reverb an insert or send effect. Is this a genre specific thing or common practise or did I misunderstand something?

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@Stiksi said:

@audiblevideo said:
    NOTES

This is interesting, I would never run my whole mix through a (single) reverb unless I was using it in, say a movie and wanted to place the music physically in the scene. I’m much more used to considering reverb an insert or send effect. Is this a genre specific thing or common practise or did I misunderstand something?

+1 - I’ve never used reverb on a master in my life.

• Ask @ka010 in a PM.

• @wim said:

@Stiksi said:

@audiblevideo said:
    NOTES

+1 - I’ve never used reverb on a master in my life.

You also can’t do this within Stagelight as it is not IAA compatible😪

• @audiblevideo said:
    Apps (no au3)

AltiSpace
    Rooms
    Fiddlicator
    iConvolver

Definition

In audio signal processing, convolution reverb is a process used for digitally simulating the reverberation of a physical or virtual space through the use of software profiles; a piece of software that creates a simulation of an audio environment. It is based on the mathematical convolution operation, and uses a pre-recorded audio sample of the impulse response of the space being modeled. To apply the reverberation effect, the impulse-response recording is first stored in a digital signal-processing system. This is then convolved with the incoming audio signal to be processed. The process of convolution multiplies each sample of the audio to be processed with the samples in the impulse response file.

downloads

https://www.joshuacasper.com/max-4-live-tutorials/convolution-reverb-impulse-responses/

DIY

NOTES

Bleass reverb
    Audioreverb Virsyn
    Stereo Reverb 4Pockets
    Shimmer (also 4Pockets)

Kleverb Kelvgrand
    Eos2 Audio Damage
    etc...

I know normally I wouldnt need AUV3 for this~but unfortunately Stagelight is not IAA compatible~ any AUV3 conventional convolution reverbs come to mind?

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@annahahn said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Apps (no au3)

AltiSpace
    Rooms
    Fiddlicator
    iConvolver

Definition

downloads

DIY

NOTES

Bleass reverb
    Audioreverb Virsyn
    Stereo Reverb 4Pockets
    Shimmer (also 4Pockets)

Kleverb Kelvgrand
    Eos2 Audio Damage
    etc...

I know normally I wouldnt need AUV3 for this~but unfortunately Stagelight is not IAA compatible~ any AUV3 conventional convolution reverbs come to mind?

I don’t think there is any AUv3 convolution reverb available at this time. There are a bazillion great non-convolution reverbs though.

• Def want a convolution reverb AU! Only a matter of time hopefully.

• @McD said:
    Ask @ka010 in a PM.

Hmmmmmm

• @audiblevideo said:

NOTES

I agree with everything else you mentioned, but I think there are many cases where an Auv3 would be very useful. I like simple spring and plate sounds and so far I haven't found anything on ios that comes close to my preferred desktop reverbs (psp springbox, Altiverb)

I'm hoping to cobble together a stable live setup in AUM. Setting up FX busses so I can quickly dial in reverb/delays etc is extraordinarily useful. I'm using the defunct Liquidsonics mobile convolution reverb (not Auv3) and it's the only app running in the background. It crashes sometimes and I can't call up presets via midi.. so Auv3 would absolutely be a boon to the live setup I'm going for.

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

Im pretty sure that ivcs3 has its spring reverb made with convolution reverb tech(and you get au plugin of it when you buy the app). But you cant change the reverb file, so its not like proper convolution reverbs, even tho it might technically be convolution reverb

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Using reverb on master track is a nice way of gelling tracks but more common is to have a reverb send track that individual tracks are routed to at various amounts.

• My hope is, somewhere out there in the great masses of coders, someone is working away at an AUv3 convolution reverb! I've got so many great IRs of trashy spring reverbs and bizarre spaces, and an AUv3 would work so much easier in my workflow!

• Rumor has it that Kai Arras has one on beta

@aquasloth said:
    My hope is, somewhere out there in the great masses of coders, someone is working away at an AUv3 convolution reverb! I've got so many great IRs of trashy spring reverbs and bizarre spaces, and an AUv3 would work so much easier in my workflow!

• There was a very vague hint that possibly @GospelMusicians might release the convolution reverb in BASSalicious 2 as an AU. It was ambiguous at best, but I hope true.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2019

Convolution appears in a few contexts all related to modeling/simulations:

1. Microphone simulations
    2. Amp Simulations (not sure if this applies...someone will correct me if not)
    3. Cabinet/Speaker Simulations
    4. and IR Reverbs modeling hardware and specific rooms/environments

I'm not sure but I think there are collections of "Impulse Response" files suitable for
    each of these use cases and the AUv3 App might intend to target one of the use cases.

• Not sure what would be different any of these use cases? Maybe some additional EQ filters, or length of IR files supported? Convolution is the same in all these cases.

• @cian said:
    Not sure what would be different any of these use cases? Maybe some additional EQ filters, or length of IR files supported? Convolution is the same in all these cases.

Some convolution apps (like Fiddlicator) only handle short duration IRs and so can't really be used for reverb.

@McD: IRs aren't really used for amp simulations beyond cabinet and mic simulations as far as I know.

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

Yes, there is no difference other than the length of IR file that the app can accommodate. A simple generic AU convolver app would be just fine for me. A few sound shaping controls such as an envelope and maybe HP and LP filters would be all I’d care about.

Any other specific purposing is just marketing polish, or intentional functionality limiting.

• edited May 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @McD: IRs aren't really used for amp simulations beyond cabinet and mic simulations as far as I know.

Exactly. You cannot simulate nonlinear processes with convolution (all kinds of distortion, saturation, overdrives is good example)

• @wim said:
    Yes, there is no difference other than the length of IR file that the app can accommodate. A simple generic AU convolver app would be just fine for me. A few sound shaping controls such as an envelope and maybe HP and LP filters would be all I’d care about.

Any other specific purposing is just marketing polish, or intentional functionality limiting.

My money's on 4Pockets to be first to launch but an update to Altispace might edge it out.
    I suspect 4Pockets has a lot of code from the old "StompBox" product line that were easy to repackage into discrete AUv3 apps and that's how so many FX shipped in a short period of time.