Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multitrack Daw update

Just saw a new major update for Multitrack Daw, including support for au Instruments, but I’m getting no sound from any audio units and see no midi settings to check if my midi controller is working, but my midi controller is definitely working with other Daws.
Is anyone having any luck using Audio units with it?

Comments

• edited May 2019

@Strizbiz said:
    Just saw a new major update for Multitrack Daw, including support for au Instruments, but I’m getting no sound from any audio units and see no midi settings to check if my midi controller is working, but my midi controller is definitely working with other Daws.

Sunrizer Auv3 working at least. Also Au via AB...will try some others. Multitrack DAW has no midi that I know of but using it as an out put in either AB or AUM should allow you flexible midi stuff

• @Strizbiz said:

Have you tried powering all the way down and powering back up. I have had a couple of issues like this after installing an update that cleared up after a power cycle.

• I had no sound at first either — I had to turn on input monitoring to get it to work ..
    It’s a bit frustrating to use.. not really for me, though I imagine the audio editing features could end up being an efficient workflow with a little practice.

Anyone know if there’s an onscreen keyboard for AUs that don’t have em built in?
    Also the fullscreen mode for AUV3 is a little annoying that it cuts off the bottom portion of the UI w/ the daw minibar in the way.

• I can get sound from apps that have their own sequencer, but as far as I can see, there’s no midi ports, so no way to send midi to AU apps to play them with a controller. AU FX are working.

• It’s a multitrack audio recorder and editor, an OG module of the device-as-daw scenario..

• @Littlewoodg said:
    It’s a multitrack audio recorder and editor, an OG module of the device-as-daw scenario..

Try as I might, I can’t make sense of what you’re saying?

• edited May 2019

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:
    It’s a multitrack audio recorder and editor, an OG module of the device-as-daw scenario..

It’s an 8+ year old (“OG”) that never had midi in or out, never had a midi sequencer and only does part of what a fully fledged DAW like Auria pro, Cubasis, MTS, Meteor etc which have audio tracks, but also host or include onboard instruments, sequence midi, send and receive midi etc.

But- there is another “DAW” approach (that’s mentioned on the forum off and on over the years, and lately once again) that views the whole device as a DAW, and uses a hub module like AUM or AB, + AU midi modules (sequencers, key’s) + AU or IAA instruments + a multitrack recorder destination. This one plays that last part...multitrack Daw predates AUM, AU instruments, AU fx and AU midi fx, and was plenty useful before all that, but now fits this new paradigm, and can sit inside a system using all the available routing and new toys

• MT DAW is a nice lightweight environment for basic audio tracking. I've used it for years when I want a quick efficient portastudio.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

It’s an 8+ year old (“OG”) that never had midi in or out, never had a midi sequencer and only does part of what a fully fledged DAW like Auria pro, Cubasis, MTS, Meteor etc which have audio tracks, but also host or include onboard instruments, sequence midi, send and receive midi etc.

But- there is another “DAW” approach (that’s mentioned on the forum off and on over the years, and lately once again) that views the whole device as a DAW, and uses a hub module like AUM or AB, + AU midi modules (sequencers, key’s) + AU or IAA instruments + a multitrack recorder destination. This one plays that last part...multitrack Daw predates AUM, AU instruments, AU fx and AU midi fx, and was plenty useful before all that, but now fits this new paradigm, and can sit inside a system using all the available routing and new toys

So, you were just providing general clarification then? Or am I still missing it?
    What is “OG”?

Thanks.

• edited May 2019

Original Gangsta

• I love MT daw!

• Great to see a old timer DAW like this getting some love was the first ever DAW I used on my iPhone 8 old years ago! I thought it had gone to dust years back nice to see it brought back to life if only for nostalgic reasons.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Strizbiz said:

Sunrizer Auv3 working at least. Also Au via AB...will try some others. Multitrack DAW has no midi that I know of but using it as an out put in either AB or AUM should allow you flexible midi stuff

Sunrizer doesn’t make sound for me, at least not via auv. The only au I got sound from so far was eg808, using the built in sequencer. Haven’t tried all my audio units yet. It’s not a big deal, as Cubasis will still be my first choice, but it would be nice if I could just record ideas in MTD using au’s. It was my second IOS Daw when I got my first iPad years ago, ( musicstudio was my first ) I’m sure someone here will figure it all out.

• edited May 2019

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

So, you were just providing general clarification then? Or am I still missing it?
    What is “OG”?

Thanks.

Sorry, yes general clarification. (For users new to my daw)

No midi is supported by mt daw. As you said, if you want to sequence a hosted app, you need an app with its own sequencer, or a standalone sequencer app in the back ground (modstep, genome, quantum) aimed at instruments hosted in mt daw. But those only work with IAA instruments, that advertise as midi destinations of their own. I suspect this is true of hardware midi controllers as well, they’ll only drive instruments in mt daw if the instruments are IAA and advertise as midi destinations of their own.

You can also host mt daw as a destination in AB, or in AUM with AB. If you host it in those you can apply (though those hosts) sequencers and Brambos’ or other’s midi fx and all the other benefits of newer midi and mixing and routing developments hosted in those host apps and sending audio to mt daw.

way back in the day (and still, stand-alone), it was cool for what @espiegel123 mentions above, basic audio tracking, editing, importing with Audio Copy Paste

• The original version was as close as you can get to Portastudio, Reel-to-Reel or plain Adat.
    A pure workhorse and a classic B)

• edited May 2019

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

What is “OG”?

Thanks.

No midi is supported by mt daw. As you said, if you want to sequence a hosted app, you need an app with its own sequencer, or a standalone sequencer app in the back ground (modstep, genome, quantum) aimed at instruments hosted in mt daw. But those only work with IAA instruments, that advertise as midi destinations of their own. I suspect this is true of hardware midi controllers as well, they’ll only drive instruments in mt daw if the instruments are IAA and advertise as midi destinations of their own.

You can also host mt daw as a destination in AB, or in AUM with AB. If you host it in those you can apply (though those hosts) sequencers and Brambos’ or other’s midi fx and all the other benefits of newer midi and mixing and routing developments hosted in those host apps and sending audio to mt daw.

way back in the day (and still, stand-alone), it was cool for what @espiegel123 mentions above, basic audio tracking, editing, importing with Audio Copy Paste

Still my go to multitrack recorder :)
    Thx for the update and keep up the good work!

• Can it do AU FX automation?

• Also I wonder if there's a way to use this to play audio stems in AUM/Audiobus? That would require it to respond to timeline stuff I guess and to have midi clock or link. Which it probably doesn't.

Oh well, still a very nice update to a useful lightweight audio recorder/mixer.

• Don't suppose this has a count-in yet?

• @Telefunky said:
    The original version was as close as you can get to Portastudio, Reel-to-Reel or plain Adat.
    A pure workhorse and a classic B)

Indeed! And very cool to see the refinements continue

• @Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

What is “OG”?

Thanks.

Thanks, you’re right, providing the context is helpful. I’ve had and loved MT DAW for so long, I forget that many people may not have heard of it. The AU update is probably a little confusing for people because it’s unusual to see instrument hosting without a way to play it. It was clear to me after some experimentation, but your explanation helps a lot.

You typed “my daw” back there once. That was a typo, right? You’re not the author are you?

BTW, MT DAW has AudioBus state saving, and it works great! B)

• @wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@wim said:

@Littlewoodg said:

What is “OG”?

Thanks.

Thanks, you’re right, providing the context is helpful. I’ve had and loved MT DAW for so long, I forget that many people may not have heard of it. The AU update is probably a little confusing for people because it’s unusual to see instrument hosting without a way to play it. It was clear to me after some experimentation, but your explanation helps a lot.

You typed “my daw” back there once. That was a typo, right? You’re not the author are you?

BTW, MT DAW has AudioBus state saving, and it works great! B)

Yep Autocorrect kept turning me into the developer, quite an honor!

Every time I typed “mt daw“ it “corrected” to “my daw”

I guess I missed one (I wondered why someone on the other thread told me to keep up the good work...)

• MTDaw was the original daw to use Audiobus (on day one I think). One of my first apps, but I moved on due to lack of automation. :(
    But it got me started!!!!!!!!!

• @cian said:
    Also I wonder if there's a way to use this to play audio stems in AUM/Audiobus? That would require it to respond to timeline stuff I guess and to have midi clock or link. Which it probably doesn't.

Can anyone answer this? Is there an easy way to get stems into this from AUM? I’m always a little frustrated when trying to get stems into Cubasis from AUM and so something else that worked nicely would be great.

• @audio_DT said:

@cian said:
    Also I wonder if there's a way to use this to play audio stems in AUM/Audiobus? That would require it to respond to timeline stuff I guess and to have midi clock or link. Which it probably doesn't.

Can anyone answer this? Is there an easy way to get stems into this from AUM? I’m always a little frustrated when trying to get stems into Cubasis from AUM and so something else that worked nicely would be great.

Drag and drop from the files app which can be in slide over or side-by-side view.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@cian said:

It will respond to timeline in AUM. Works pretty much just like an audio-only DAW there.

Audiobus doesn't have the idea of a timeline. But it's still good for playing loops and stuff.

It can sync in both Audiobus and AUM.

• @espiegel123 said:

@audio_DT said:

@cian said:

Drag and drop from the files app which can be in slide over or side-by-side view.

I feel a bit stupid now because I’ve only just realised that I can save all stems in AUM to AudioShare and then copy those stems to Cubasis using the Files app. The whole thing is completely simple and so my red face from being dumb is more than outweighed by my joy at finding out how easy it will be to move my AUM jams to Cubasis for arrangement and further processing. Yippee - thanks for the prompt 👍😇

• Big update out now :

• Actually, all the features listed in the new update are repeat listings of the previous one. The only new stuff is bugfixes:

5.0.2 Bugfixes:
    iOS 13 compatibility updates.
    Fix: Chipmunk bug on frozen mono tracks without effects on mixdown.
    Fix: Folder renaming from the listbox no longer removes text after dot(.) in the folder name.
    Fix: Memory leak when closing songs with armed AU/IAA input plugins (generators/instruments).
    Fix: Projects over 16 tracks were hearing the underlying audio track when recording on a track.
    Fix: Better compatibility with AU/IAA plugins.

The only test I did was on the last one, trying to load AUM in as an IAA input on a track. Didn't work. But maybe I'm doing something wrong.