Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanostudio 2.0.1 update available.

Comments

• @dendy said:
    Btw my totally most favourite feature in this update is something, what probably not many people even notice, but for me it's huge workflow speed up. It's this:

save selection

It's a nice feature indeed!

Now imagine an even faster 'flow' ('copy selection to slate pad #' or 'create new / add selection to an obsidian instrument').

Keep all the recordings in the session folder and do something about the mandatory renaming & save of the sample before it can be used :)
    (If the main recording is already in the session folder it can be referenced, only when destructive edits are done a copy of the selection needs to be made if its used elsewhere).

Then again I'm too used to working with Renoise where a sample/recording is instantly usable after recording, no need to save or rename anything... (Everything is saved in the session and can be renamed at will if/when needed).

But yeah, it's nice to see an update to NS2!

• @Rodolfo I think your sustain pedal dreams have been answered.

• I love you man!

• edited May 2019

This is also quite fun - NS as multitimbral sound module ... in this case X0X is feeding Slate, Bassline is feeding one Obsidian and Particles other Obsidian...

In NS only what you need to do is set MIDI filter to just single midi channel (in my case Slate is listening on midi channel 1, Obsidians on 2 and 3)

and then route all MIDI tracks in AUM into "Nanostudio" virtual MIDI input.
    (And of course ser proper MIDI channels in X0X, Bassline and Particles)

You can build up to 16 midi generstors setup in AU, all send to NS - then hit "record" in NS and whole incomimg MIDI is recorded to tracks in NS ...

• @Samu said:
    @dendy Do you know if anyone has requested 'undo' for patch change in Obsidians Perform view?

It's easy to 'loose a patch' that hasn't been saved when using the arrows in perform view close to the patch name meaning the 'edits' are lost when changing the patch :(

You can find your unsaved, edited patch in the ”Recently modified” category in the Patch Browser.

• @dendy said:
    This is also quite fun - NS as multitimbral sound module ... in this case X0X is feeding Slate, Bassline is feeding one Obsidian and Particles other Obsidian...

In NS only what you need to do is set MIDI filter to just single midi channel (in my case Slate is listening on midi channel 1, Obsidians on 2 and 3)

and then route all MIDI tracks in AUM into "Nanostudio" virtual MIDI input.
    (And of course ser proper MIDI channels in X0X, Bassline and Particles)

You can build up to 16 midi generstors setup in AU, all send to NS - then hit "record" in NS and whole incomimg MIDI is recorded to tracks in NS ...

That's really cool, @dendy.
    Thanks for the detailed explanation.

• edited May 2019

last hint for today, it's 23:41 here and 5 hours from now i need wake up, so going to bed, good night.

if somebody is not sure how to record output of MIDIfx using MIDI Tools Route plugin, here small example:

• @dendy said:
    This is also quite fun - NS as multitimbral sound module ...

!!!!!

• edited May 2019

@drez said:
    @Rodolfo I think your sustain pedal dreams have been answered.

That’s what I really hoped @drez , but unfortunately not :-(
    For some reason polyphony seems to be limited by NS2 to about 32 notes in most AUs, which maybe ok for most simple sounds but very insufficient for playing real piano.

I reinstalled NS2 and tested Ravenscroft 275, Colossus (apps that can handle at least 100 notes of polyphony) and also Bs-16i, BeatHawk (with Acoustic Grand IAP) and the result is the same, at approximately 32 notes it runs out of polyphony, which is very noticeably when you play some passages with repetitive chords or long legato arpeggios.

I also tested Neo-Soul Keys Studio (my favorite electric piano app) and sustain pedal just doesn’t work well, it seems very buggy and hard to explain what happens. Just load the app and throw some chords and you’ll see what I mean. It’s like once you play a note with sustain pedal, the same note won’t play again if pressed until you release the sustain.

I looked at the NS2 settings but didn’t find anything related to AU polyphony limitation, so I’m afraid there’s some kind of restriction in the implementation (and a specific bug with Neo-Soul Keys Studio).
    I strongly suggest that a pianist is included in the beta team, since something like this could have been easily found before releasing the update.

Hope you guys can convince the dev to fix this soon, otherwise I’m afraid it can take months until it’s corrected, but in any case I guess NS2 is not for me...

Anyway, thank you very much @drez for keeping me in mind on this topic.

• iPhone love?

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@DaveMagoo said:
    iPhone love?

Next up. Expected some time this year.

• Nice! Glad to see this happen!
    Now please suggest an on screen keyboard on the mixing page and ns2 will be killing it even harder

• @Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

For some reason polyphony seems to be limited by NS2 to about 32 notes in most AUs, which maybe ok for most simple sounds but very insufficient for playing real piano.

I reinstalled NS2 and tested Ravenscroft 275, Colossus (apps that can handle at least 100 notes of polyphony) and also Bs-16i, BeatHawk (with Acoustic Grand IAP) and the result is the same, at approximately 32 notes it runs out of polyphony, which is very noticeably when you play some passages with repetitive chords or long legato arpeggios.

I also tested Neo-Soul Keys Studio (my favorite electric piano app) and sustain pedal just doesn’t work well, it seems very buggy and hard to explain what happens. Just load the app and throw some chords and you’ll see what I mean. It’s like once you play a note with sustain pedal, the same note won’t play again if pressed until you release the sustain.

I looked at the NS2 settings but didn’t find anything related to AU polyphony limitation, so I’m afraid there’s some kind of restriction in the implementation (and a specific bug with Neo-Soul Keys Studio).
    I strongly suggest that a pianist is included in the beta team, since something like this could have been easily found before releasing the update.

Hope you guys can convince the dev to fix this soon, otherwise I’m afraid it can take months until it’s corrected, but in any case I guess NS2 is not for me...

@Rodolfo I am absolutely wrecked for you :cry:

I will fight the good fight and see if I can help Matt understand the issue. Thanks for the test run. Sorry your dream was instead...a nightmare :disappointed:

• @Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

You should post this in the NS forum, realy.

• @drez said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

I will fight the good fight and see if I can help Matt understand the issue. Thanks for the test run. Sorry your dream was instead...a nightmare :disappointed:

Thank you very much @drez , I really appreciate your support and -as I said- keeping me in mind on this subject. I guess that we pianists are an endangered species, so maybe we’ll need to adapt to the times being or just disappear... 😄

• @tja said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

You should post this in the NS forum, realy.

I will, I just wanted to answer @drez first since he was very attentive with me.

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

Thank you very much @drez , I really appreciate your support and -as I said- keeping me in mind on this subject. I guess that we pianists are an endangered species, so maybe we’ll need to adapt to the times being or just disappear... 😄

You can join us guitarists who nobody cares about any more, and drummers replaced by apps, on an island somewhere and we’ll jam 24x7.

(Seriously though, the beta team dropped the ball big-time again. They really DO need to get some people not in the bubble in there.)

• @Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

That's a shame. Maybe there's a workaround until the fix with a Streambyter script and multiple instances? Or maybe you've tried that idea...

• @wim said:
    You can join us guitarists who nobody cares about any more, and drummers replaced by apps, on an island somewhere and we’ll jam 24x7.

I laughed pretty hard on that one hahaha

• @Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

Maybe you could put together a video demonstrating this in NS2 and in a better-behaved host app?

• @wim said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

(Seriously though, the beta team dropped the ball big-time again. They really DO need to get some people not in the bubble in there.)

😂😂😂😂😂
    I also play guitar... count with me on the island! 😂😂😂

• @espiegel123 said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

Maybe you could put together a video demonstrating this in NS2 and in a better-behaved host app?

That’s a good idea @espiegel123 I’ll try to put together a video later at home

• @Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

That's a shame. Maybe there's a workaround until the fix with a Streambyter script and multiple instances? Or maybe you've tried that idea...

I haven’t tried Streambyter, just tested also with an external MIDI track to AUM with R275 loaded on it and it works fine, so I guess it’s something internal to NS2 on the coding, hardly fixable with a plugin, but yes, there could be a workaround...

• when sampling from audiobus, does slate convert the audio coming in to mono, or is there a stereo setting somewhere?

• Well, this was a quick answer from the dev. Hopefully it can be fixed soon.

• @Rodolfo said:

@Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

I haven’t tried Streambyter, just tested also with an external MIDI track to AUM with R275 loaded on it and it works fine, so I guess it’s something internal to NS2 on the coding, hardly fixable with a plugin, but yes, there could be a workaround...

if it’s polyphony over a single instance the main issue, then I’m sure Nic at audieonic could create a simple script which sends the notes over 32 off to another instance, would be fairly straightforward for his skills I’m sure. Good to hear a fix is coming though. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

if it’s polyphony over a single instance the main issue, then I’m sure Nic at audieonic could create a simple script which sends the notes over 32 off to another instance, would be fairly straightforward for his skills I’m sure. Good to hear a fix is coming though. :)

But this would mean multiple AU instances of AU pianos which challenge limited AU memory as it is.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@Carnbot said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

But this would mean multiple AU instances of AU pianos which challenge limited AU memory as it is.

Right, with Ravenscroft 275 this would not be feasible, as just one instance can cause crackles in most standard iPad models.

• @Rodolfo said:

@wim said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

😂😂😂😂😂
    I also play guitar... count with me on the island! 😂😂😂

Just out of NS2 topic and here just for curiosity (I don’t use iOS DAW other than Garageband and for workflow matters) but I was thinking about this feeling/issue. Being myself more technology based but also a keyboardist and entrepreneur (and homeless too) I try to wonder a solution for me but also for others.
    In my own I can play with backing tracks or live looping and also consider keep learning up to enough to some day just play keys but I see lots of musicians struggle with this existencial issue.

Maybe it will be a good idea start a topic on that and almost share feelings. I’m making some improvements on resolving my lacks and I hope find the sweet spot to make a living from that but also make a point to help others is somewhat important to me.

Sorry for the OT. I just find interesting see that feeling once again...