Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

More new iPad woes... Can’t switch AUM from anything but 48K sample rate...

This is weird... On my new iPad Air 3, AUM won’t let me switch from 48k sample rate!

Tried rebooting etc.

Ideas?

Comments

• Same here for a long time!No luck to change it to 44.1 khz!

• iOS natively runs at 48k now if I remember correctly, though I believe using some external soundcards will let you change it.

• this is something strange... my Mini5 switches to 44khz when i connect headphones.... but @ocelot had same issue with his new Mini.. looks like Apple pretty much fucked up something..

• @Tarekith said:
    iOS natively runs at 48k now if I remember correctly, though I believe using some external soundcards will let you change it.

all ipads and iphones since iPhone6 were using 48khz without headphones connected (playing on built in speakers) and 44khz with headphones connected (of course just models with jack connector)

my 2019 Mini does same..

Bit thereare already reports of owners of new Mini or Air where this doesn't work, Its very strange.

• With headphones plugged-in directly to my 2019 iPad Mini 5:
    Apps that are locked at 48kHz: All apeSoft+Amazing Noises, BM3, AUM, AudioShare, Cubasis, Beathawk,
    Apps that can be changed to 44.1kHz: Groove Rider, Poison-202, SunVox, Virtual ANS, zMors Modular, KQ MiniSynth, Quanta,

With headphones plugged-in directly to my 2018 iPad 6th Gen:
    44.1kHz + 48kHz are available for both headphones and iPad speakers for all apps that allow changing the sample rate.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32452/request-for-owners-of-the-new-2019-ipad-air-3-and-mini-5-sample-rate-with-headphones-plugged-in

I tested these over the past 2 months: 2017 Pro 10.5", 2018 Pro 11", 2018 6th Gen #1, 2019 Mini 5, 2018 6th Gen #2. Kept the last 2. And 2013 Air 1 and Mini 2. Non-scientific test results:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/635360#Comment_635360

• edited May 2019

@ocelot @MonkeyDrummer

Guys, now i'm curious - can you check in current NS 2.0.1 version (released yeasterday), with headphones conected, what sample rate NS shows in Settings page ? For me it it 44khz and when i disconnect headphones it switches to 48 (NS) is now automatically adjustimg realtime sample rate based on the one forced by device - change made for better compatibility with some plugins with wrong samplerate handling

• As I understand it:

some apps don't do sample rate conversion and lock the sample rate to the hardware sample rate.

Some apps that don't sample rate convert don't restrict the sample rate and so play back at the wrong pitch.

Some apps do sample rate convert and are not locked to the hardware sample rate.

• @espiegel123

no this is deeper issue and Apple is responsible for it... looks like SOME iPad Mini5 models (mine for example) are using 44khz with headphones connected, other iPad Mini5 models are using 48khz even with headphones connected (the one owned by @ocelot )

This is very strange. Same app on my Mini5 runs 44khz and on ocelot's run 48khz

Apple seriously screwed something with latest Mini5/Air3 models

• @dendy said:
    @espiegel123

no this is deeper issue and Apple is responsible for it... looks like SOME iPad Mini5 models (mine for example) are using 44khz with headphones connected, other iPad Mini5 models are using 48khz even with headphones connected (the one owned by @ocelot )

This is very strange. Same app on my Mini5 runs 44khz and on ocelot's run 48khz

Apple seriously screwed something with latest Mini5/Air3 models

On My iPhone 8 I can’t natively use 44.1 at all without ‘up/down sampling’.
    The hardware sample rate is locked to 48 regardless of if I use the built-in speakers or the lightning to 3.5 adapter. Only way to use 44.1 is to use an external audio interface that supports multiple sample rates.

Apple really screwed things up this time.
    I mean video audio is recorded at 44.1 when 48 is de-facto standard, like wtf is Apple doing!?

iOS13 will drop in a few months so we never know what ‘improvements’ it will bring to the audio side of things...

• What I’ve discovered is that you have to open the host after connecting headphones/interface so that iOS natively changes the sample rate to 44.1. I’m not 100% sure that this works for everyone but it works for me on my 3rd gen iPad Pro.

• To be honest
    I have been planning an upgrade for a while
    Now gonna wait till os13 to drop before I make a decision

• edited May 2019

@Samu
    On My iPhone 8 I can’t natively use 44.1 at all without ‘up/down sampling’.

The hardware sample rate is locked to 48 regardless of if I use the built-in speakers or the lightning to 3.5 adapter.

I was talking about jack connector. All devices since iPhone 6S with classic jack connector are switched to 44 khz when you connect headphones (and to 48 with disconnected headphones) ...

what is new, is that just some new Mini / Air models does not, they stay locked at 48 even with headphones connected to jack connector.

Some not, my new Mini switches to 44khz when i connect headphones (to jack connector).

This is strange.

• @dendy NS2.0.1: iPad 6: 44.1 and 48. Mini 5: Didn't get a chance to test on the Mini 5 since I gifted it for Mom's Day. I'll test next time I visit.

I did test several more Mini 5/Air 3s recently, and all exhibit the same behavior as my Mini 5 (48kHz is the only available sample rate with headphones attached in Amazing Noises GliderVerb (free app so anybody can test)).

It seems your Mini 5 is the exception? Could but that a part was swapped for the iPads sent to your global region. Unlikely, but it happens sometimes with electronics.

What's also confusing is this (is the Lightning>3.5mm Adapter truly locked @48kHz???):

Janosax said:
    Some IAA apps will have issues being recorded at 48 kHz, with continuous audio crackles. For example recording Gadget in Blocs wave though Audiobus is only possible at 44.1 kHz. On 7 Plus I have to use at least earpods or lightning to jack adapter but not speakers. For some users like me this is a big problem if an external audio interface must be used.
    Can somebody confirm iPad 2018 doesn’t have the issue?

And I thought it was confirmed numerous times that the Apple Lightning>3.5mm Adapter was locked at 48kHz, but it looks like Janosax can use it at 44.1kHz???

• edited November 2019

🕸

• @ocelot said:
    @dendy NS2.0.1: iPad 6: 44.1 and 48. Mini 5: Didn't get a chance to test on the Mini 5 since I gifted it for Mom's Day. I'll test next time I visit.

I did test several more Mini 5/Air 3s recently, and all exhibit the same behavior as my Mini 5 (48kHz is the only available sample rate with headphones attached in Amazing Noises GliderVerb (free app so anybody can test)).

It seems your Mini 5 is the exception? Could but that a part was swapped for the iPads sent to your global region. Unlikely, but it happens sometimes with electronics.

What's also confusing is this (is the Lightning>3.5mm Adapter truly locked @48kHz???):

Janosax said:
    Some IAA apps will have issues being recorded at 48 kHz, with continuous audio crackles. For example recording Gadget in Blocs wave though Audiobus is only possible at 44.1 kHz. On 7 Plus I have to use at least earpods or lightning to jack adapter but not speakers. For some users like me this is a big problem if an external audio interface must be used.
    Can somebody confirm iPad 2018 doesn’t have the issue?

And I thought it was confirmed numerous times that the Apple Lightning>3.5mm Adapter was locked at 48kHz, but it looks like Janosax can use it at 44.1kHz???

In my testing the Apple Lightning to 3.5mm adapter is always fixed at 48k, even on older devices

• I know this is an old thread but has anyone been able to find a solution beyond using an external interface? I submitted a bug report but I’m doubtful anything will be done. And I’m on the 13.4 beta...

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

• edited March 2020

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    This is weird... On my new iPad Air 3, AUM won’t let me switch from 48k sample rate!

Tried rebooting etc.

Ideas?

My Air 3 switches automatically to 44.1khz (inside AUM) when I plug the 3.5 mm jack of my headset (headphones with mic). Then you can choose between 44.1/48 kHz. I am running iOS 13.1.3.

Also with an external audio interface...as others mentioned.

• edited March 2020

Ironically this morning I plugged in a USB C headset and was able to change the sample rate in AUM. That was not happening yesterday and I have not rebooted the iPad. It may have been the way I did it. Headphones in first then launching AUM. What a mess.

Note: I’m on an iPad Pro 11”

• so,the adapter war with my new ipad pro has begun.thats the first one that did arrive and the description says „up to 384 khz/32 bit“ but still i canˋt anything else than 48khz.Did i misunderstood the description

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08KVY9NLV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&psc=1

works fine though and sound seems good but i need to do a few more comparisons.

• edited September 2021

@Crabman said:
    so,the adapter war with my new ipad pro has begun.thats the first one that did arrive and the description says „up to 384 khz/32 bit“ but still i canˋt anything else than 48khz.Did i misunderstood the description

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08KVY9NLV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&psc=1

works fine though and sound seems good but i need to do a few more comparisons.

Did you connect the headphone adapter first, before opening any music/audio app? Once an app is opened, it's likely locked to the parameters it gets from iPadOS on startup. And that will lock the whole system, since you cannot have different sample rates.

• yep,i connected it first.

• edited December 2021

Same problem. Even if I plug in headphones first, my 5th gen iPad Mini is stuck at 48k, but my 1st gen iPad Pro lets me select 44.1 on the same apps. Both are still running some version of iOS 13. I'd prefer to be able to choose 44.1, is there any chance anyone has a solution (or at least an explanation)?

• @anotherscott2 said:
    Same problem. Even if I plug in headphones first, my 5th gen iPad Mini is stuck at 48k, but my 1st gen iPad Pro lets me select 44.1 on the same apps. Both are still running some version of iOS 13. I'd prefer to be able to choose 44.1, is there any chance anyone has a solution (or at least an explanation)?

On your Mini 5, a headset or earbuds with attached microphone should allow you to switch to 44.1kHz.
    It should have a 4-pole 3.5mm jack, like the Apple EarPods, or a gaming headset.
    For regular headphones with a 3-pole 3.5mm jack, it'll be stuck at 48kHz.
    I believe it was dendy here who discovered that.
    iirc, Apple switched to 48kHz in 2018 starting with the iPad Pros, and 2019 for the base iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Minis.

• Right. The explanation is that the sample rate is determined by the audio interface. For some reason, Apple has changed the sample rate supported by the built-in audio interface. If an external interface is connected, you can usually chose among the rates it supports. The business about connecting an external mic is odd, but there it is. Maybe a loophole left by the implementers.

• Thank you Ocelot and UncleDave! Guess I need to shop for some adapters...

• @anotherscott2 said:
    Thank you Ocelot and UncleDave! Guess I need to shop for some adapters...

iirc, dendy tried a dummy 4-pole with regular 3-pole headphones, but it still wouldn't switch to 44.1kHz. I guess it needs the mic on the last pole, or some electrical current, not just an empty plug.

• @ocelot said:

@anotherscott2 said:

iirc, dendy tried a dummy 4-pole with regular 3-pole headphones, but it still wouldn't switch to 44.1kHz. I guess it needs the mic on the last pole, or some electrical current, not just an empty plug.

Ouch. So if I want to use my Sennheiser HD600 headphones, or if I want to take the headphone out and send it to a mixer or amp for live performance, I'm stuck at 48 kHz on that iPad?

• @anotherscott2 said:

@ocelot said:

@anotherscott2 said:

Ouch. So if I want to use my Sennheiser HD600 headphones, or if I want to take the headphone out and send it to a mixer or amp for live performance, I'm stuck at 48 kHz on that iPad?

In that case, get or make a cable splitter to split the 4-pole to 3-pole + 1 (and ground), with a gaming mic attachment plugged into the split.

Check out Antlion mics, or Sonic Boom. Or better yet, search Google, Reddit, Head-Fi.org, and Amazon for 'gaming mic for Sennheiser HD600 or HD650'. You'll find lots of options for little money. Amazon has lots of inexpensive cables that you can cobble-together something.

Or buy a class-compliant USB audio+MIDI interface which will let you switch the sample rate.

Why do you need 44.1kHz? Just curious (I have one use-case where 44.1kHz is crucial, but 48kHz is fine for me in most other cases).

• @anotherscott2 said:

@ocelot said:

@anotherscott2 said:

unless you get an audio interface.