Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Fixed: Serious WTF... I’m getting same DSP % in AUM with same preset on new iPad Air3 as on my Air2

2»

Comments

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@wim said:
    A suggestion for meaningful comparisons...

• Make a session with one instance of the sequencer of your choice (Rozeta, Atom, StepBud, Photon ... whatever) sending out a typical pattern.
    • Add a channel with one app you use often, and one FX that you use often. Try to pick apps that generally seem well-behaved.
    • Set the channel to receive from the sequencer.
    • Duplicate that channel as many times as it takes to get crackles.
    • Note the sample rate, buffer size, and bit depth settings if available in the host.
    • Duplicate the setup in the other hardware
    • Repeat the above test on the other hardware and see how many channels can be handled.

CPU metering can be done differently from host to host, so it’s not valid to compare CPU readings between hosts. It is valid to test the instances different hosts can handle, though.

IMO, CPU meters are helpful as a safety margin check as @OscarSouth mentions, but can be misleading for other purposes.

Yea, that would be a good test protocol. The new iPad seems to be a lot snappier, and I can see how the dsp meter may not really be like a rev counter... I’m thinking AUM and iOS act more like a car with a CVT... I was thinking the upgrade would be more like adding a blower and a Hurst. 😏

Airdropped the setup to my Air 2 and it had a fucking aneurysm!

:lol:

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@wim said:

• Make a session with one instance of the sequencer of your choice (Rozeta, Atom, StepBud, Photon ... whatever) sending out a typical pattern.
    • Add a channel with one app you use often, and one FX that you use often. Try to pick apps that generally seem well-behaved.
    • Note the sample rate, buffer size, and bit depth settings if available in the host.
    • Repeat the above test on the other hardware and see how many channels can be handled.

CPU metering can be done differently from host to host, so it’s not valid to compare CPU readings between hosts. It is valid to test the instances different hosts can handle, though.

IMO, CPU meters are helpful as a safety margin check as @OscarSouth mentions, but can be misleading for other purposes.

Yea, that would be a good test protocol. The new iPad seems to be a lot snappier, and I can see how the dsp meter may not really be like a rev counter... I’m thinking AUM and iOS act more like a car with a CVT... I was thinking the upgrade would be more like adding a blower and a Hurst. 😏

Ok, I tried this out. Used Viking which is kind of a cpu pig running into AudioEffX all driven by Particles. Got up to 8 channels at 256.

So yea, the DSP meter is a good gauge for headroom but seems pointless for inter-device benchmarking.

It isn't even necessarily a meaningful measure of headroom until you are using a fair amount of CPU due to the way CPU throttling works if I understand correctly.

p.s. You might want to edit the thread title and add a "not" at the end.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@wim said:

Ok, I tried this out. Used Viking which is kind of a cpu pig running into AudioEffX all driven by Particles. Got up to 8 channels at 256.

So yea, the DSP meter is a good gauge for headroom but seems pointless for inter-device benchmarking.

It isn't even necessarily a meaningful measure of headroom until you are using a fair amount of CPU due to the way CPU throttling works if I understand correctly.

p.s. You might want to edit the thread title and add a "not" at the end.

But muh clickbait?! 😏

• @Carnbot said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah it seems pretty accurate to me. When I get DSP to high 90s % then crackling starts to creep in.
    I think the main things causing cpu issues in AUM is the iOS graphics displaying GUIs etc

Might be an idea if AUM had a custom macro controller view where you can have the most optimal performance without needing to open guis and scroll around etc :)

Hi @j_liljedahl :)
    I know we discussed a bit in the past, but there seems to be a significant difference in the graphics performance in AUM to other hosts, testing new Sugar bytes Factory and the menu and refresh rate is slow in AUM but much faster in apeMatrix and Audiobus. And this could explain why the cpu spikes are more significant in AUM when opening guis etc. At least this is what I'm noticing on Pro 2017 12.9 ipad. Have you noticed anything like that in your setup?

I haven't. But I've heard some users are seeing such performance issues, on some devices. I think it's an iOS bug that mixes up audio/UI thread priorities somehow. Maybe the way AUM does its UI (CoreAnimation and CoreGraphics) differs from other hosts.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Carnbot said:

@Carnbot said:
    Yeah it seems pretty accurate to me. When I get DSP to high 90s % then crackling starts to creep in.
    I think the main things causing cpu issues in AUM is the iOS graphics displaying GUIs etc

Might be an idea if AUM had a custom macro controller view where you can have the most optimal performance without needing to open guis and scroll around etc :)

I know we discussed a bit in the past, but there seems to be a significant difference in the graphics performance in AUM to other hosts, testing new Sugar bytes Factory and the menu and refresh rate is slow in AUM but much faster in apeMatrix and Audiobus. And this could explain why the cpu spikes are more significant in AUM when opening guis etc. At least this is what I'm noticing on Pro 2017 12.9 ipad. Have you noticed anything like that in your setup?

I haven't. But I've heard some users are seeing such performance issues, on some devices. I think it's an iOS bug that mixes up audio/UI thread priorities somehow. Maybe the way AUM does its UI (CoreAnimation and CoreGraphics) differs from other hosts.

Had this issue on iOS 11. Also on other hosts , but in AUM it was very noticeable. All gone/fixed on iOS 12+ :smile:
    Wish Apple would allow a more aggressive audio vs GUI priority

• edited May 2019

@Korakios said:

Which iPad do you have?

@Korakios said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Carnbot said:

@Carnbot said:

Had this issue on iOS 11. Also on other hosts , but in AUM it was very noticeable. All gone/fixed on iOS 12+ :smile:
    Wish Apple would allow a more aggressive audio vs GUI priority

ok just tested again and it might be only happening when cpu is under load in AUM so will need to compare in other hosts under similar load. But yeah, hope Apple improve this going forward with iOS updates :)

• Ok, just to kinda close this out... Yea, the Air3 kicks ass.

I just goofed around with 4 instances of model D (air 2 choked on 2 even at 1024), and Sunrizer, driven by fugue machine with various fx on each track summer to master with Maxima as “mastering”, and even at 256 it still didn’t pop or crackle and dsp hovered around 70%.

I don’t think I’m in the market for a Nord Lead any more! 😁