Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to do IAP - thoughts for devs

edited May 2019 in General App Discussion

I just want to say that I think Sugar Bytes Factory (new iOS synth released last week) absolutely found the perfect way to release an iOS synth in the current AppStore environment.

• The synth is FREE - just download it and the full synth engine is available to test. It comes with a small number of presets, and allows users to randomly load from the 400+ presets that come with the full version. The free app is standalone, no IAA, no AUv3, no preset saving. But if you want to “tinker” and see if the app makes the noises you want, there is no limit to the sound engine. Play it as long as you want as a free trial.
  • The full featured app (with AUv3, entire preset list, etc) is a one-time purchase inclusive of all other pro features that you would need if you are creating a project. The IAP is straight forward with no ongoing fees, no confusing list of IAP options. Just buy it once and everything works.

I think SugarBytes is onto something really good in releasing Factory this way. In-app purchases can be so confusing, and if more developers did things this way, it would really make things more simple. This type of process lets the buyer try out synths in a AppStore system that has no “free trial” system. I can imagine this keeps AppStore reviews way more positive as well, by avoiding negative reviews from people who paid then were disappointed.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a downside to releasing a synth this way? Other good examples?

Comments

• Sorry I disagree. IAPs aren’t included in Family sharing, so if I get Factory then buy the IAP I can’t share it.

• @Hmtx said:
    I just want to say that I think Sugar Bytes Factory (new iOS synth released last week) absolutely found the perfect way to release an iOS synth in the current AppStore environment.

• The synth is FREE - just download it and the full synth engine is available to test. It comes with a small number of presets, and allows users to randomly load from the 400+ presets that come with the full version. The free app is standalone, no IAA, no AUv3, no preset saving. But if you want to “tinker” and see if the app makes the noises you want, there is no limit to the sound engine. Play it as long as you want as a free trial.
    • The full featured app (with AUv3, entire preset list, etc) is a one-time purchase inclusive of all other pro features that you would need if you are creating a project. The IAP is straight forward with no ongoing fees, no confusing list of IAP options. Just buy it once and everything works.

I think SugarBytes is onto something really good in releasing Factory this way. In-app purchases can be so confusing, and if more developers did things this way, it would really make things more simple. This type of process lets the buyer try out synths in a AppStore system that has no “free trial” system. I can imagine this keeps AppStore reviews way more positive as well, by avoiding negative reviews from people who paid then were disappointed.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a downside to releasing a synth this way? Other good examples?

If I remember correctly, DRC has the same method

• edited May 2019

☹️
    Well ok. I did not realize that @BiancaNeve

That is really bad. I guess it makes sense for “consumable” IAPs that they wouldn’t be shared across users.

Here I thought SugarBytes had found a perfect way to get around the awful AppStore... sadly, no. I guess we are back to “HEY APPLE please make the AppStore not suck!”

Any one else know of good synths that work around the AppStore” limitations on IAP and pricing?

• @OnfraySin said:
    If I remember correctly, DRC has the same method

Cool. Forgot about that one 😉

• It also makes it harder to keep a synth going if the developer disappears from the appstore in the future (see Alchemy).

• I think it's great, even if I can't use it on other Apple id's in my family. If I really want it to work on other id's, I'll buy it again, but really no one else in my family makes music, I do see how this can be negative for others tho or other kinds of apps that aren't music related, but it has to be a small portion of apps I'd use with my family compared to how much I've spent on apps I don't like that I've bought..

Test it, and if I like it, buy it... If not, skip it and I do think this will help with negative reviews as people aren't buying something based on sub par YouTube videos or the like.

• @Hmtx said:
    ☹️
    Well ok. I did not realize that @BiancaNeve

That is really bad. I guess it makes sense for “consumable” IAPs that they wouldn’t be shared across users.

Here I thought SugarBytes had found a perfect way to get around the awful AppStore... sadly, no. I guess we are back to “HEY APPLE please make the AppStore not suck!”

Any one else know of good synths that work around the AppStore” limitations on IAP and pricing?

Clone your iPad to use on another device with the same Apple ID and you are good to restore all your IAPs.

• edited May 2019

@mobilemusic yeah that works great for me and my music. I don't have any problems since I don't use Family Sharing.

But for people that have kids making iOS music... this would be a pain.

• I'd prefer if there were two versions, a demo version and a full version outright. Then there would be no issues in the future with it if it disappeared from the store. I don't like or trust in-app purchase code from always working :)