Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Steely Todd Remix by Lady App-titude

Something a little different this time out… A remix. I’d sworn off remixes, but this was something I started and abandoned back in 2014. Then after all that time it eventually roped me back in to finish it this week. This was the very first thing musical I ever did with an iPad, using my very first musical app, Traktor DJ. Some people might get a kick outta it..

Comments

• Impressive - Steely Dan, Todd - and the Beatles!

I had “Do It Again” stuck in my head the other day. I sometimes think Steely Dan had the most HPS (hooks per song) of that era.

• I love it. I miss these eclectic mashups. It's fun to hear one that's really clever and uses some
    great source materials. I'm glad you got around to finishing it.

• @McD said:
    I love it. I miss these eclectic mashups. It's fun to hear one that's really clever and uses some
    great source materials. I'm glad you got around to finishing it.

Thanks, McD! I would never have thought of combining these particular pieces of music, but Traktor has some sort of algorithm that "suggests" things it finds in your iTunes library -- in this case two of my favorite artists. This combo was intriguing, but making it work right seemed an impossible challenge so I dismissed it as too absurd. In the end, I had to try every trick in the book to make it come together inasmuch as does. The Beatles bits were kind of a missing-link breakthrough that helped.

• @ALB said:
    Impressive - Steely Dan, Todd - and the Beatles!

I had “Do It Again” stuck in my head the other day. I sometimes think Steely Dan had the most HPS (hooks per song) of that era.

Thanks, ALB! The problem, I think, is that the SD song is much better known than the Todd song. I figured it would mainly appeal to Todd fans, but I'm actually getting a pretty nice response from a lot of Dan fans, maybe even more than the Todd fans... Who knows.. All uncharted territory for me.

Of course, then there will always be the purists for whom this sort of thing is an abomination. Whatev.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@ALB said:
    Impressive - Steely Dan, Todd - and the Beatles!

Thanks, ALB! The problem, I think, is that the SD song is much better known than the Todd song. I figured it would mainly appeal to Todd fans, but I'm actually getting a pretty nice response from a lot of Dan fans, maybe even more than the Todd fans... Who knows.. All uncharted territory for me.

Of course, then there will always be the purists for whom this sort of thing is an abomination. Whatev.

I enjoyed your collage for its own sake, purity be damned. Hangs together pretty well to my ears.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I figured it would mainly appeal to Todd fans

It makes me want to re-visit the Todd Rundgren and Utopia, Runt and Nazz back catalogs.

You're re-mix reminds me that Todd was a great singer in addition to being a musical/technical polymath. He was recently awarded Honorary doctorates from Berklee College of Music and an honorary doctorate DePauw University.

• edited May 2019

@McD said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    I figured it would mainly appeal to Todd fans

It makes me want to re-visit the Todd Rundgren and Utopia, Runt and Nazz back catalogs.

You're re-mix reminds me that Todd was a great singer in addition to being a musical/technical polymath. He was recently awarded Honorary doctorates from Berklee College of Music and an honorary doctorate DePauw University.

This comes from his A Cappella album.. Released in 1985. Primitive early days of sampling. The first album (that I know of) done entirely with just one person's voice and a sampler. AMAZING singing on some of those tracks. Technical marvel in its time.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    This comes from his A Cappella album.. Released in 1985.

There was a 5 year period when I would buy used CD's for me commute time and I bought
    that Todd Rundgren "A Capella" CD. The track "Lockjaw" haunts my subconscious sonically and lyrically.

That track probably influenced Trent Resnor to create more sonic nightmares with "Nine Inch Nails" (The character Lockjaw uses rusty nails).

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Technical marvel in its time.

It would be harder to think of an artist with more command of the studio. Now we are all
    Todd (in the sense of having total control and not the talent).

• edited May 2019

@McD said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    This comes from his A Cappella album.. Released in 1985.

There was a 5 year period when I would buy used CD's for me commute time and I bought
    that Todd Rundgren "A Capella" CD. The track "Lockjaw" haunts my subconscious sonically and lyrically.

That track probably influenced Trent Resnor to create more sonic nightmares with "Nine Inch Nails" (The character Lockjaw uses rusty nails).

Ha! Lockjaw is one of the only tunes in his entire 50-year catalog that I listened to once or twice and then skip over every time after that. In terms of the two of them, Rundgren was clearly a big early influence on Reznor, and maybe in the post-90s/early 2000s, NIN may have become an influence on Rundgren's later more industrial electronica stuff (cf. the song "Jerk"). Eventually, as you may know, the two of them collaborated on Rundgren's most recent album White Knight (2017) on a track called "Deaf Ears".

• edited May 2019

@McD said:

@Lady_App_titude said:
    Technical marvel in its time.

It would be harder to think of an artist with more command of the studio. Now we are all
    Todd (in the sense of having total control and not the talent).

He was definitely one of the most important early pioneers of the home studio and overdubbing all the instruments yourself. His albums in the early 70s were the first time I became of aware of such possibilities -- and this inspired me to to learn to play all the instruments and build my own recording studio in my parents basement, which was virtually inconceivable back then. Nowadays, of course, the home studio has become the norm, and the pro recording studio is becoming an endangered species. Yes, indeed we are now all "Todds" -- but back then, he was one of the very first to fully exploit the possibilities of the studio as the artist's personal creative work station, and few have since done it as well.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Eventually, as you may know, the two of them collaborated on Rundgren's most recent album White Knight (2017) on a track called "Deaf Ears".

I did NOT know. I've really stopped listening to commercial music and just focus on my playing.

I'm going to find that track and see what they created as a team.

FOUND IT: Yes. A instant classic: Two Dark Princes pronouncing the "end of history".

[Verse 1]
    The world we made goes up in flames
    It's raining ashes
    We reenact the Hunger Games
    It's raining ashes
    It's raining ashes
    It's raining ashes
    Falling on deaf ears
    It's raining ashes
    Falling on deaf ears

[Verse 2]
    We pray to god our soul to keep
    From raining ashes
    And then we smother in our sleep
    Covered in ashes
    It's raining ashes

[Verse 3]
    The dark is far as eyes can see
    It's raining ashes
    We've reached the end of history
    Here come the ashes
    It's raining ashes
    Falling on deaf ears
    It's raining ashes
    Falling on deaf ears

Then I cued up Todd and Donald Fagen working out "The Man in the Tin Foil Hat".
    Dark but with a big slice of Fagen's sense of comedic timing.

He's coming down the escalator
    With a girl from east of here
    He wants to make the country greater
    We've got nothing left to fear

Because the man in the tin foil hat
    Is sitting on the throne tonight
    It kinda feels like a coup d'etat
    But it's gonna be great, tremendous, amazing and all that

'Cause the man in the tin foil hat
    Is tweeting like a teenage girl
    He puts the Pluto in plutocrat
    It's gonna be a yuge yuge yuge new world

He hasn't got the time for losers
    Unless they do as he commands
    He's writing checks to his accusers
    With those tiny little hands

It kinda feels like a coup d'etat
    But it's gonna be a yuge yuge yuge new world

Is gonna drain the swamp tonight
    And fill it with up with alternative facts
    It's gonna be great, tremendous, amazing and all that

Is tweeting like a teenage girl
    He puts the Pluto in plutocrat
    It's gonna be a yuge yuge yuge new world

It kinda feels like coup de tat
    It's gonna be great, tremendous, amazing and all that

Then that tune featuring Joe Walsh "Sleep" which conjures up "The Beach Boys" as interpreted by "XTC".

Here's a link to open up a discussion for more opinions of this musical polymath: