Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DrumJam v1.3 is now Live!

In an unprecedented move, both DrumJam and ThumbJam updates were submitted at the same time! Both are now live!

Here are the changes for DrumJam:

• Audiobus v2 support, with state save/restore
  • Added direct AudioShare export
  • Added solo pad auto-repeat Swing control
  • Now listens to MIDI program change messages to switch loaded kits, as well as user/factory session presets
  • Responds to a fixed set of MIDI CCs for most parameters
  • Double-tap for defaults on individual effects sliders
  • Now supports MIDI voice-per-channel input for pad instruments
  • Added option to only record pad instrument output
  • Drum kits now have separate open/closed hat notes for MIDI use (GM bindings)
  • Fixed attack consistency issue with large buffer sizes
  • Fixed flam issue with pad auto-repeats
  • Fixed instruments with broken MIDI maps

Comments

• Gonna be on sale???

• :O @ "Responds to a fixed set of MIDI CCs for most parameters"

Are there gonna be CC controls for Bedlam settings?! Please say yes, please say yes!!!

Wow, between that and the Cubasis update, big day for announcements!!!!

• edited May 2014

@CalCutta said:

:O @ "Responds to a fixed set of MIDI CCs for most parameters"

Are there gonna be CC controls for Bedlam settings?! Please say yes, please say yes!!!

Yes, here is the MIDI spec for DrumJam v1.3:

MIDI CC BINDINGS

7 - Master Pad volume
    85 - Master Loop volume

17 - Pad filter toggle
    71 - Pad filter resonance
    74 - Pad filter cutoff

80 - Loops filter enabled
    81 - Loops filter resonance
    82 - Loops filter cutoff

91 - Pad Reverb send
    83 - Loops reverb level
    86 - Reverb Size
    87 - Delay time

1  - Auto-repeat rate 
    2  - Auto-repeat velocity (optionally channel pressure also)
       This only affects the most recent actively held NoteOn for the channel.

11 - Touch Pad Velocity 
    12 - Touch Pad X Position
    13 - Touch Pad Mode Enable

14 - Global Repeat type
    15 - Repeat 2x sensitivity
    16 - Drop %
    18 - Delay input level
    19 - Delay feedback
    20 - Crush
    21 - LoFi

22 - Bedlam master %
    23 - Bedlam pitch chance %
    24 - Bedlam pitch depth
    25 - Bedlam pan chance %
    26 - Bedlam pan width
    27 - Bedlam rev Chance %
    28 - Bedlam Buzz Chance %
    29 - Bedlam Buzz Duration
    30 - Bedlam Buzz Slice

69 - Randomize Loop Instruments (with value 127)
    70 - Randomize Loop Variations (with value 127)
    115 - Stop with hit (with value 127)
    117 - Stop
    118 - Play Toggle (or Clock Start/Stop)
    119 - Record Toggle (or MMC Rec)
    78 - Record On/Off
    79 - Fade In/Out

102 - Undo
    103 - Redo
    104 - Tap Tempo

110 - Repeat Swing % (0=50% 127=75%)
    111 - Pad Pitch (64 = no bend)
    112 - Loop Pitch (64 = no bend)
    113 - Meter Beats

CC 36-63 are mixer controls for the first 7 individual loop parts, 
    in blocks of 4 representing Volume, Pan, Mute, Solo.  
    For example:
       CC36 = Loop 1 Vol
       CC37 = Loop 1 Pan
       CC38 = Loop 1 Mute, 
       CC39 = Loop 1 Solo
       CC40 = Loop 2 Volume, etc.

Program Changes:

Bank Select MSB (CC0) = 0
                 PC events load pad instruments (alphabetically in list)
          MSB (CC0) = 1 , and the LSB (CC32)
                          picks the FACTORY preset group, 
                    with PC events selecting the preset within that group. 
          MSB (CC0) = 2 , and the LSB (CC32)
                          picks the USER preset group,
                    with PC events selecting the preset within that group. 

• Ok, so today I have to go to a pretty unfortunate meeting at work, and then I have to go to the dentist. I thank you for providing far and away the best news I've received today and supplying a nice silver lining!

• This is very cool. LOVE sonosaurus as a developer and ThumbJam is an incredible product. DRUMJam has been on my wish list for eternity checking for a sale, NOT because the price is at all unfair (it isn't), but because it just isn't my genre of music and the file size is large enough that I might not be able to carry it at all times. Still, it's one of the best percussion apps of any kind, from what I hear.

• edited May 2014

Thanks Sonosaurus for keeping supporting your apps without new purchases, so I gonna support you via IAP.
    I expect this no offense any other dev ("your home, your rules").
    I'm fine with both points of view.

• Here's a question (since I don't have the app) - I have tons of .wav file sample kits for acoustic drums and drum machines. I frequently load these into other percussion apps to use with their interface.

Is there a convenient way to just load those kits into DrumJam to take advantage of their sequencing and bedlam features (which people seem to love), or would that just not work?

They're probably sick of hearing "you need more rock-oriented drums!", since that isn't what the app is really meant to be, but I'm wondering if I can't work around that issue myself.

• edited May 2014

@StormJH1, importing your own samples to build custom instruments in the app is the number 1 thing on the list for the next update.

It can actually be done now by hand if I released the instrument description file XML spec (essentially identical to ThumbJam, with some extensions), but I suspect not many of you will bother with that :)

• @sonosaurus said:

@StormJH1, importing your own samples to build custom instruments in the app is the number 1 thing on the list for the next update.

It can actually be done now by hand if I released the instrument description file XML spec (essentially identical to ThumbJam, with some extensions), but I suspect not many of you will bother with that :)

Thank you! Yes, I would definitely be interested in that. I don't have a feel for how many other people bother with samples, but with more and more ways to use them, I suspect it's going up.

• Drumjam is my app of choice for drums, the only reason I use others is for custom samples. Nice update, thanks, looking foreword to the xml spec.

• Open and closed high hats separated - nice! This has been my single biggest pain with using the kits. Thanks

• I love using DrumJam. Looking forward to playing with this new update. And thanks for the list of Midi bindings.

• Awesome! I'll be looking forward to this update as well. Thanks so much!

• Amazing stuff Jesse, you're on a roll!!

• OK, DrumJam v1.3 is now live... expect the usual propagation delays as it makes its way to the Stores.

Phew!

• Downloaded... very nice!
    ThumbJam is in my Top 10!

• edited May 2014

Oops this is the drumjam thread not thumbjam.

• Really appreciate the MIDI CC Binding Map, very useful. Excited about custom samples :)

• I just tried the swing. Very cool. Now I'm going to make some DrumJam, ThumbJam state save templates.

• Hi Jesse and everyone else...love the update, but the export function stopped working halfway through a project today. Tried open in, ACP and direct audioshare functions, but an empty wave is the result. Everyone else ok? Ipad2. I've done a hard reset. Slightly reluctant to uninstall/reinstall app as it'll mean reinstalling all my IAPs again. Is it just me?

• Just emailed you, but I guess you've forced me into public support mode by posting here too!

No, I have not seen that happen before. Are you trying to export a
    recording that you already made from the Settings->Manage Files in
    DrumJam? When you select the file do you hear it play back in the
    app, before you hit Copy, AudioShare, etc?

I take it that it was working properly before? Do you remember if
    anything happened between when it did and didn't work?

What happens when you make a new recording, then try to export it
    right away from the popup?

• Ok, first things first. Apologies for posting my problem on a public forum before emailing you. My experience with customer services has been less than great, but your response was fantastic. And, guess what, it turns out I had made a totally noob error and was only recording "instrument" rather than the loops. All my fault, sonosaurus - you're the man. If anyone on this forum doesn't already own thumbjam AND drumjam, please buy them both immediately, they're rock solid and superb. I, on the other hand, am an arse. Back to the music!

• edited May 2014

No problem, your experience has made it clear that I need to add an indicator on screen when the "instrument-only record" option is enabled. Thanks!