Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What headphones are you using, and what would you recommend?

I’ve been using some Audio Technica ATH-M50X’s, not exactly top of the food chain, but they’ve lasted over a year, worn many hours daily, but when it’s time for a replacement, I’d really love to hear what you guys are using, and what you would recommend for a replacement. FWIW, a flatter response headphone is a big plus.

Comments

• last set acquired, mdr7506. very nice all round

• @Paul16 said:
    last set acquired, mdr7506. very nice all round

Thank you for your reply, I’ve been considering those,and the reason I got the ones I did is because I like to hear the bass curve slightly exaggerated, but admittedly, they’re less than ideal for proper mixing.

• edited May 2019

i switch between default apple EarBuds and Sennheiser HD650.. Usually most of production time i use earbuds, and hd650 i use just for final mixing/equalisation ...

• I’m very fortunate to have the sound system I have, but I always mix with headphones, in addition to monitors, in order to make sure I have a good balance, and that the final product will sound good on headphones, earbuds, and quality monitors.

• Under $200:

Sony MDR-7506: http://amzn.to/2sQCWuD $80 (not a lot of bass)
    Audio Technica ATH-m50: http://amzn.to/2sNg2n8 $150 (hyped low end)
    Beyerdynamic DT770: http://amzn.to/2tq2ETL $170 (fairly flat with reasonable bass)

Opinions stolen from:

Of course, there are expensive $500+ open-backs that are a lot better to hear everything with a flat response for mixing.

• @McD said:
    Under $200:

Sony MDR-7506: http://amzn.to/2sQCWuD $80 (not a lot of bass)
    Audio Technica ATH-m50: http://amzn.to/2sNg2n8 $150 (hyped low end)
    Beyerdynamic DT770: http://amzn.to/2tq2ETL $170 (fairly flat with reasonable bass)

Opinions stolen from:

Of course, there are expensive $500+ open-backs that are a lot better to hear everything with a flat response for mixing.

My dream open backed headphones are Sennheiser HD 800S, but I’m afraid that is still above my pay grade

https://images.app.goo.gl/X9MnXWeENS6wLkQM8

• Maybe the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Closed Back Headphone for $150 would be an interesting
    option. It's supposed to have more bass than a strictly flat set of cans.

• @McD said:
    Maybe the Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Closed Back Headphone for $150 would be an interesting
    option. It's supposed to have more bass than a strictly flat set of cans.

Thank you for your reply, that’s right in my friendly price range, I’m going to look into those.

• edited May 2019

I really like the sound of my AKG K181 DJ UE.. they have good hi/mid/solid bass without sounding 'unnatural'.. They are not that expensive but they sound really good..

• edited May 2019

Shure SE846’s. All the benefits of compact earbuds and incredibly accurate. Or is that inedibly accurate? The dessert island thread confused me.

• @Tarekith said:
    Shure SE846’s. All the benefits of compact earbuds and incredibly accurate. Or is that inedibly accurate? The dessert island thread confused me.

Thank you for your reply, I’m gonna look into those, earbuds sound good these days.

• @SlowwFloww said:
    I really like the sound of my AKG K181 DJ UE.. they have good hi/mid/solid bass without sounding 'unnatural'.. They are not that expensive but they sound really good..

Thank you for your reply, I’ll check them out.

• Massdrop.com

• I got the Audio Technica ATH-m50 about a year ago but am not feeling them too much. In my option they are just ok for the money. But a lot of people seem to like them.
    I’m looking to try something else. Probably open backs, Tired of ear fatigue.

• Sennheiser HD-600 is likely the last headphone I’ll ever buy ... unless I win the lottery or otherwise get rich enough to easily afford something like Audeze LCD-4 , but even then I could easily live without it.. 600s are so good that I no longer have GAS urges for other cans..

If you do end up getting some 300+ Ohm cans like the 600, I must warn that the headphone amp on most any audio interface won’t do em justice. They still do ok running off my Motu Ultralite, but it’s a pretty big difference when I push them with my Schiit Vali 2 amp. (Tube/solid state hybrid headphone amp)

• edited May 2019

You know, I spent a lot of time researching and purchasing some high quality Mackie IEMs for the comfort of them. I returned them due to poor repro of piano sounds. But , otherwise, they sounded great.it was fortunate for me, even tho I really liked them. The occasional high pitch and volume signals from glitches with those tightly sealed ear canals... big mistake in my opinion. I think I have gotten a bit of damage even with the Apple buds and they are loose fitting. So I am using over the ear hps more now.

Are those Mackie 5s in your setup, Ripper? I have similar and love them.

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    You know, I spent a lot of time researching and purchasing some high quality Mackie IEMs for the comfort of them. I returned them due to poor repro of piano sounds. But , otherwise, they sounded great.it was fortunate for me, even tho I really liked them. The occasional high pitch and volume signals from glitches with those tightly sealed ear canals... big mistake in my opinion. I think I have gotten a bit of damage even with the Apple buds and they are loose fitting. So I am using over the ear hps more now.

Are those Mackie 5s in your setup, Ripper? I have similar and love them.

Thank you very much for the reply, yes I have a pair of 8” Mackie MR 824’s & a pair of 6” Mackie MR 624’s. Also, I’m running a Focusrite Clarett 2Ppre USB-C.

• @ZenEagle said:
    Sennheiser HD-600 is likely the last headphone I’ll ever buy ... unless I win the lottery or otherwise get rich enough to easily afford something like Audeze LCD-4 , but even then I could easily live without it.. 600s are so good that I no longer have GAS urges for other cans..

If you do end up getting some 300+ Ohm cans like the 600, I must warn that the headphone amp on most any audio interface won’t do em justice. They still do ok running off my Motu Ultralite, but it’s a pretty big difference when I push them with my Schiit Vali 2 amp. (Tube/solid state hybrid headphone amp)

Thank you for your reply, ya, I really don’t want to have to buy an expensive audio interface.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I got the Audio Technica ATH-m50 about a year ago but am not feeling them too much. In my option they are just ok for the money. But a lot of people seem to like them.

Thank you for the reply, I’m not overly impressed with the ones I have either, I’m wondering if the Sony MDR-7506’s would be the way to go on my budget.

• @Ripper7620 said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    I got the Audio Technica ATH-m50 about a year ago but am not feeling them too much. In my option they are just ok for the money. But a lot of people seem to like them.

Thank you for the reply, I’m not overly impressed with the ones I have either, I’m wondering if the Sony MDR-7506’s would be the way to go on my budget.

The 7506s are certainly a good choice, my next headphones will be either these or the Beyer DT770 Pro because they're closed (which matters if you have people sitting next to you who are busy listening to something else) and very comfortable to wear for a longer time.
    Guess I would choose the 80 ohms version because it works with most headphone amps.

• Beyer DT770 Pro are the nicest pair of headphones I've ever had. They sound great and are not fatiguing to my ears at all. Bonus all the parts can be replaced. Extra bonus the headphones plug is a twofer. It has a large plug for audio equipment and unscrewing it reveals a mini plug for iPads and the like.

• @rs2000 said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

The 7506s are certainly a good choice, my next headphones will be either these or the Beyer DT770 Pro because they're closed (which matters if you have people sitting next to you who are busy listening to something else) and very comfortable to wear for a longer time.
    Guess I would choose the 80 ohms version because it works with most headphone amps.

Thank you for your reply, I’ll keep both in mind.

• @audiblevideo said:
    Beyer DT770 Pro are the nicest pair of headphones I've ever had. They sound great and are not fatiguing to my ears at all. Bonus all the parts can be replaced. Extra bonus the headphones plug is a twofer. It has a large plug for audio equipment and unscrewing it reveals a mini plug for iPads and the like.

Thank you for your reply, I’d never heard of those until your post, I’ll check them out.

• Akg k701 as studio headphones and audio technica ath-e70 as earbuds. I can recommend both

• I really like my Sony MDR7510’s

• edited May 2019

+1 for the 7510s

I don't understand why they are not more widely known/used, as they are a modern update on the classic MDR7506.

I was using the Beyerdynamic DT150 previously as my go-to closed studio headphones, but these have displaced them in that same price range.

The ATH M50x are overrated and not flat enough, imho

• edited May 2019

The Sonys are pretty light on bass, I know a lot of people like them but I would never trust them for mixing low frequencies.

• edited May 2019

@richardyot said:
    The Sonys are pretty light on bass, I know a lot of people like them but I would never trust them for mixing low frequencies.

I like to see this as an advantage... since you can practically guarantee almost every listener's gear will be hyping bass in some way, I want to make sure I am not adding too much at the mixing stage

OT: It's a bit like colour-grading for consumer TVs - you just know they will have the saturation and contrast too high so perhaps you need to compensate in post-production (a lesson Game of Thrones probably should have heeded for their uber-dark 'Battle of Winterfell' episode!)

• edited May 2019

@tk32 said:

@richardyot said:

I like to see this as an advantage... since you can practically guarantee almost every listener's gear will be hyping bass in some way, I want to make sure I am not adding too much at the mixing stage

OT: It's a bit like colour-grading for consumer TVs - you just know they will have the saturation and contrast too high so perhaps you need to compensate in post-production (a lesson Game of Thrones probably should have heeded for their uber-dark battle of winterfell episode!)

IMO that is completely flawed logic. If you can't hear the bass frequencies accurately you're actually likely to inadvertently add more bass to your mix than you intended to, because your monitoring is not revealing what's actually going on in the lower frequencies. With bass heavy phones you would more likely dial back on the bass compared to phones lacking in bass. On bass-light headphones the temptation might actually be to increase the bass to the point where it would sound too heavy on regular cans.

It's the same with monitor speakers, on NS10 type speakers you can't accurately mix low-frequency content because you simply can't hear it.

Here is an objective review of the Sonys, and some explanation as to why they are not recommended for mixing:

• edited May 2019

@richardyot said:

IMO that is completely flawed logic. If you can't hear the bass frequencies accurately you're actually likely to inadvertently add more bass to your mix than you intended to, because your monitoring is not revealing what's actually going on in the lower frequencies. With bass heavy phones you would more likely dial back on the bass compared to phones lacking in bass. On bass-light headphones the temptation might actually be to increase the bass to the point where it would sound too heavy on regular cans.

I concede. I really didn't think through my argument properly. (thanks for calling me out!)

And in fact, to further support your point (although from the opposite extreme), I have found from my own experience that attempts at mixing with the ATH M50X always resulted in too little bass in the end result - simply because everything I was hearing was always being overly-hyped.