Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bitwig 3 enter the Grid!

Comments

• Looks like Drambo!

• Reminded me of Audulus 3 taking of Audulus 3 what's the latest on AU version?

• edited January 2019

Looks like they are appealing to the Modular community with a node based workflow.

They’ve taken all that is cool of Max and made it look great.

Wish they had a good controller to interface with their app. I love my Push 2 and Ablet10 Live.

• edited January 2019

@echoopera said:
    Looks like they are appealing to the Modular community with a node based workflow.

Wish they had a good controller to interface with their app. I love my Push 2 and Ablet10 Live.

Make it full modular and avoid maxmsp approach (merging to softs instead build from ground) was one of the main reasons to Bitwig´s team to split from Ableton over the 8.2.5 version.

• @echoopera said:

@echoopera Agreed would love to see a hardware controller would it be financially worth it for the makers bet Ableton sales outstrip Bitwig. I know there are scripts to use Push 2 for Bitwig.

• Any out cable can go into any in port. That’s a great way to make it accessible. Just wondering about the modules now.

• Wow... surprised at this since the 2.5 beta wasn’t released too long ago, IIRC? Gotta admire Bitwig’s constant additions and improvements. When it comes to modulation, they really seem to be pushing the erm, envelope. I’m not quite ready to trade in Live/Push. But I’ve been on the edge of buying BW since demoing it. This might be enough to push me over... will be watching keenly. Hats (and wigs 😄) off to BWS!

• Holy mother of frogs!!!! I recall an interview with Randy Jones (Madrona Labs) where he mentioned that Bitwig is poised to bring software based audio rate modulation explosion to the masses. This is way cooler than anything I imagined..

Even just these 4 little points are finger licking goodness:

• @ohwell said:
    Holy mother of frogs!!!! I recall an interview with Randy Jones (Madrona Labs) where he mentioned that Bitwig is poised to bring software based audio rate modulation explosion to the masses. This is way cooler than anything I imagined..

Even just these 4 little points are finger licking goodness:

Indeed.

• edited January 2019

F##k yeah. This is why I bought into Bitwig 1.0, and the Surface Pro 3 to run it on. Glad my license extends beyond Q2/2019.

• edited January 2019

WOW there own modular very interesting

• This is almost exactly how I've been dreaming about the ultimate iOS AUv3 host. Being able to connect any AUv3 "output" (midi CC, parameters) to any other AUv3 parameter. I guess Bitwig can give some inspiration to whatever should come after AUM/ApeMatrix/AB3 ;)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Reminded me of Audulus 3 taking of Audulus 3 what's the latest on AU version?

Happened to look into this today and recalled your post.

From 23 days ago: “We’re hoping to have it out pretty soon! We ran into some roadblocks implementing the library search and general UI stuff, but it’s being ironed out now”

• Having a lot of fun learning Modular using the Grid. The way Bitwig have implemented this for me just clicks and I'm getting some fab module builds out of it.

I find it a lot easier to get to grips with than VCV Rack or Softube Modular.

• edited May 2019

@Jumpercollins said:
    Having a lot of fun learning Modular using the Grid. The way Bitwig have implemented this for me just clicks and I'm getting some fab module builds out of it.

+1
    It’s incredibly well figured out, and so smooth on a touch UI. Next gen virtual modular for screens, puts the skeuomorphic modulars In the rear view

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Having a lot of fun learning Modular using the Grid. The way Bitwig have implemented this for me just clicks and I'm getting some fab module builds out of it.

+1
    It’s incredibly well figured out, and so smooth on a touch UI. Next gen virtual modular for screens, puts the skeuomorphic modulars In the rear view

So (I shudder somewhat to ask :)), but.....easy enough to figure out? Remember some of us are still scarred by/scared of Snvx :)

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

+1

@Littlewoodg Haven’t tried my Microsoft Pro pen with it yet can you use it to draw in connections that would be cool? Hope they add a favourites category for modules or a search function. Only had a few hours with it, it’s great trying out all the modules. Fab they added a sampler one in.

• edited May 2019

Redacted

• edited May 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

+1

@Littlewoodg Haven’t tried my Microsoft Pro pen with it yet can you use it to draw in connections that would be cool? Hope they add a favourites category for modules or a search function. Only had a few hours with it, it’s great trying out all the modules. Fab they added a sampler one in.

I’ve just been using my finger which is most excellent (I laundered my pen within a week of getting it)

@JohnnyGoodyear In terms of my learning curve I think this one has a leg up on S_nV_x, the help button that takes you to a page of info for each module is quite amazing - demoed in the intro video which is also a great launchpad. Also they’ve got an any cable almost anywhere build, so there’s often no wrong answer. There’s been a lot of consideration built in, towards helping people enter their system, and modular generally, more so than I’ve seen elsewhere

• @Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

+1

I’ve just been using my finger which is most excellent (I laundered my pen within a week of getting it)

@JohnnyGoodyear In terms of my learning curve I think this one has a leg up on S_nV_x, the help button that takes you to a page of info for each module is quite amazing - demoed in the intro video which is also a great launchpad. Also they’ve got an any cable almost anywhere build, so there’s often no wrong answer. There’s been a lot of consideration built in, towards helping people enter their system, and modular generally, more so than I’ve seen elsewhere

Thank you. An answer that makes sense/gives confidence. Here's a slightly more tricky question, or perhaps just more personal: Do you think this is suited better to song-writing or music making (I know they're similar, but I think you know what I'm driving at; I know you are fond of FL and thus I'm interested where BW fits in your own work/creativity etc...)

• @Jumpercollins said:

I have the original version of Audulus, and I’m interested in #3 as well. What are your thoughts on this newer version? Is it user friendly?

• @Ripper7620 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

I have the original version of Audulus, and I’m interested in #3 as well. What are your thoughts on this newer version? Is it user friendly?

@Ripper7620 One of Audulus main team members Mark Boyd just left to start a new career. So I think it’s a 1 man operation now so may be a while before we see a AU version.

• Played a bit with the beta release this morning. The grid is understandable, easy to access, some modules are directly accessible with a keyboard or midi-notes in a clip. They even got the sampler as a module. You can make a good sound quickly.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Ripper7620 One of Audulus main team members Mark Boyd just left to start a new career. So I think it’s a 1 man operation now so may be a while before we see a AU version.

Thank you very much for this information, I appreciate it.

• edited May 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

+1

Thank you. An answer that makes sense/gives confidence. Here's a slightly more tricky question, or perhaps just more personal: Do you think this is suited better to song-writing or music making (I know they're similar, but I think you know what I'm driving at; I know you are fond of FL and thus I'm interested where BW fits in your own work/creativity etc...)

I think I’m at a much earlier stage, comfort wise with FL 20, than Bitwig, though I can offer some notes on comparison. Bitwig has both clip launch and traditional timeline UI’s, while FL’s default mode is for me yet another beast entirely. FL workflow is it’s own thing, and tons of people find it smooth and delicious but I’m far from fluid in it. Their mobile is in many ways much more traditional and accessible for me, and that is often how I get something going in FL 20. Im still learning FL 20, and there’s a lot of people on the forum that can speak more usefully to its usefulness. Plus, the kids love it!

Bitwig seems more traditionally accessible for songwriters, where FL still is (for me) about building with loops/clips - yes people make songs that way but that’s still a stretch for me conceptually. Beats and loops, ultra fun yes, verse/chorus/bridge etc, not as much (again, me)

So me, I’d give the songwriting nod to Bitwig. That Bitwig also will, after the beta, have an ultra cool modular framework for doing all kids of stuff (building instruments, fx, sequencers, generative toys etc etc) is an additional entry point for fun. Even before the Grid arrived, it’s been most often while playing in Bitwig on the Surface Pro (among all my other DAWs on that platform) that I say to myself “what the hell am I still doing on iPad when I’ve got this?” (But of course other goodies/workflows bring me back to iPad eventually)

• I sat down and made a full track with just the grid and have to say I'm super impressed (& I've been using real modulars and soft modulars since the original Nord Modular)

things that are good about it:

Workflow - the way you can just slot in new modules is excellent, the modulation is cool too
    Sound - they've got lots of folding/west coast style stuff
    Stereo - very cool
    integration in Bitwig - definitely way down the "studio is the instrument" path - even more than Ableton/Max

it's a little bit unstable - not surprising given it's beta 1 but I didn't lose any work just had a few restarts

• @Ripper7620 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Ripper7620 said:

@Jumpercollins said:

Thank you very much for this information, I appreciate it.

it may be important to note that Mark Boyd had nothing do with the the development side of things, but only support, community managment etc. so it's not like a heavy hit into the progress to v4

• edited May 2019

@pagefall said:
    I sat down and made a full track with just the grid and have to say I'm super impressed (& I've been using real modulars and soft modulars since the original Nord Modular)

things that are good about it:

Workflow - the way you can just slot in new modules is excellent, the modulation is cool too
    Sound - they've got lots of folding/west coast style stuff
    Stereo - very cool
    integration in Bitwig - definitely way down the "studio is the instrument" path - even more than Ableton/Max

it's a little bit unstable - not surprising given it's beta 1 but I didn't lose any work just had a few restarts

I appreciate your notes here and the track- haunting (beautifully so) and your work makes me hope sharing of Grid presets will be a thing-

• @Littlewoodg said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Littlewoodg said:

@Jumpercollins said:

+1

I think I’m at a much earlier stage, comfort wise with FL 20, than Bitwig, though I can offer some notes on comparison. Bitwig has both clip launch and traditional timeline UI’s, while FL’s default mode is for me yet another beast entirely. FL workflow is it’s own thing, and tons of people find it smooth and delicious but I’m far from fluid in it. Their mobile is in many ways much more traditional and accessible for me, and that is often how I get something going in FL 20. Im still learning FL 20, and there’s a lot of people on the forum that can speak more usefully to its usefulness. Plus, the kids love it!

Bitwig seems more traditionally accessible for songwriters, where FL still is (for me) about building with loops/clips - yes people make songs that way but that’s still a stretch for me conceptually. Beats and loops, ultra fun yes, verse/chorus/bridge etc, not as much (again, me)

So me, I’d give the songwriting nod to Bitwig. That Bitwig also will, after the beta, have an ultra cool modular framework for doing all kids of stuff (building instruments, fx, sequencers, generative toys etc etc) is an additional entry point for fun. Even before the Grid arrived, it’s been most often while playing in Bitwig on the Surface Pro (among all my other DAWs on that platform) that I say to myself “what the hell am I still doing on iPad when I’ve got this?” (But of course other goodies/workflows bring me back to iPad eventually)

Very interesting. And a very generous response, thank you. You confirm what I suspect that Bitwig might be the better fit for me (despite the fact that the 16 year old next door is killing it on FL). Of course I'd rather NOT pay 400 bucks to find out, BUT I have a new Surface Book 2 that is begging for something beyond Adobe Audition :) Yes, I'm enjoying using the software with Maschine Mk3, but it's really making me think I have to be a big boy and settle on a DAW. Thanks again, really appreciate your insight.